Pinebook Pro?
(02-13-2019, 09:34 AM)Kochise Wrote: Thanks for the clear answers. I understand the $200 price tag, but :

1- was to avoid changing the whole mother board instead of just changing the "sopine", a "bundle" can be available
2- those having an interest into embedded could always get them refurbished / second hand from those who upgraded
3- adding a few led under the keyboard shouldn't cost that much more
4- yeah, that one was just for fun

5- if you add "ITX holes", maybe the motherboard can be fitted into a regular casing, for those interested
6- adding a slot/sodimm cpu to get a second hexacore cpu (doing smp clustering into the notebook for performance)
7- and 8- yeah, that also was to replace faulting parts with new ones without changing/dumping everything

Regarding this project : https://www.crowdsupply.com/sutajio-kosagi/novena

I think even a $300 price tag remains viable (come on, $300 for a FHD IPS hexacore 14" notebook, who would be that picky ?) for a little more versatile setting, allowing you not just fitting a Pinebook Pro case, but perhaps doing much more with the parts.

What about the idea to fit the PineTab in place of the keyboard to get a dual screen (dual cpu ?) notebook ?

Kochise

I feel like a 300 dollar pricetag would be pushing it a little bit too much. At that price, there are actually some pretty compelling Chromebooks.

One of Pinebook's original characteristics that stood out to me was how damn cheap it was, in comparison with other more traditional OEMs. Adding another 100 dollars will yes, improve the quality of the components of the machine, maybe even without sacrificing value. But doing that removes one of the unique advantages Pine has in the laptop space.
(02-22-2019, 09:25 AM)Luke Wrote: I think that most if not all of you will be impressed by the LCD panel.

Well, that's good.

The two sticking points for me are usually the screen and the keyboard, as I do a lot of essay writing (I'm a student).
(02-23-2019, 01:00 PM)eding42 Wrote: I feel like a 300 dollar pricetag would be pushing it a little bit too much. At that price, there are actually some pretty compelling Chromebooks.

One of Pinebook's original characteristics that stood out to me was how damn cheap it was, in comparison with other more traditional OEMs. Adding another 100 dollars will yes, improve the quality of the components of the machine, maybe even without sacrificing value. But doing that removes one of the unique advantages Pine has in the laptop space.

No, a Chromebook is not "open" like the Pinebook is. Have you datasheets and source code to fully support Chromebooks hardware ?

Kochise
(02-23-2019, 01:00 PM)eding42 Wrote: I feel like a 300 dollar pricetag would be pushing it a little bit too much

I think you are correct.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Hey Luke, 

First, I think what y'all are doing is flat out awesome and I've been thinking about getting something exactly like what is proposed for a while. We stumbled on this and I think our entire DevOps team is going to buy at least one of the Pros.  Maybe I am just tired and missed it but I haven't seen Centos (7) mentioned. Any chance for that support? I saw it mentioned for other devices but you never know. Thanks!
(02-26-2019, 07:20 AM)jddelaro Wrote: Hey Luke, 

First, I think what y'all are doing is flat out awesome and I've been thinking about getting something exactly like what is proposed for a while. We stumbled on this and I think our entire DevOps team is going to buy at least one of the Pros.  Maybe I am just tired and missed it but I haven't seen Centos (7) mentioned. Any chance for that support? I saw it mentioned for other devices but you never know. Thanks!

Regarding Centos, you could build it yourself using kernel sources from ayufan or mrxifit2001, or even use armbian for this purpose. It shouldn't be too difficult, but again no official support (that we're aware of) is planned. Then again ... nothing is supported until devs get their hands on the device, which won't be for another month or so ;Wink To this end, if you know some Centos devs then you're welcome to point them to this thread - we'd be happy to offer them hw and community would certainly help out getting the OS' running.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(02-25-2019, 09:04 PM)Kochise Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 01:00 PM)eding42 Wrote: I feel like a 300 dollar pricetag would be pushing it a little bit too much. At that price, there are actually some pretty compelling Chromebooks.

No, a Chromebook is not "open" like the Pinebook is. Have you datasheets and source code to fully support Chromebooks hardware ?

Kochise

For me, being "open" is not as important. Sure, open hardware is better and all, but are most people going to care? The most compelling aspect of the Pinebook is the sheer value proposition, and I hope Pine doesn't ever compromise that. A 14 inch IPS FHD screen for 199? Damn. The Pinebook Pro sounds like the perfect student laptop. Hey, if it runs Google Docs, it's good enough for me.
Any word when the Pinebook Pro is gonna be ready for the BTO system?
(02-26-2019, 11:02 PM)wolfen1125 Wrote: Any word when the Pinebook Pro is gonna be ready for the BTO system?
Yes, I'd like to hear similar to this(though I'd feel better about a straight-up queue). I'd like to show support, plus it might be good for there to be a momentum around this set of new products.
(02-13-2019, 08:06 AM)Luke Wrote: As for replacement parts, as with the current Pinebook the Pro variant will surely also have replacement parts in the store eventually, so if you break the LCD or keyboard you'll be able to exchange just the one component that is broken.
So if the store will not just sell replacement parts, but also aftermarket DIY upgrade parts (like the aforementioned backlit keyboard), then that would already make many people happy.

Personally, I would like to see an option for WQHD screen, but with current mobo design this is impossible (requires 40-pin eDP connector, as RK3399 only provides 2.7 Gbps per eDP lane according to datasheet).

(02-15-2019, 01:00 PM)Zirali1981 Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 06:38 PM)Jeff115 Wrote: It would be nice to have a dual boot os, especially with the 128g version, and Microsoft is working on bringing Windows on ARM, maybe we could dual boot Windows with Linux?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/arm/

Can we install Android OS ?   Tongue
The demo Pinebook Pro at the FOSDEM booth was running Android.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,905 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 300 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 227 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,221 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,122 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt