Anyone else disappointed?
(03-25-2016, 08:54 PM)TerryB Wrote:
(03-25-2016, 02:46 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(03-25-2016, 02:16 PM)TerryB Wrote: I ordered the Rpi3 on day 1, received it 2 weeks later (from Britain) and using it with OpenElec and Kodi. Very happy with it. I have just ordered a second and it arrives Tuesday (9 days shipping, also from Britain). Meanwhile nothing on the Pine64 that I ordered Feb. 15 and was scheduled to ship no later than April 1st. Should have know that April 1st was a joke because I checked the order status and they moved the shipping date back to May (with no notice). Extreme lack of feedback and transparency by Pine64. Should have know given the Apple roots of the company.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 too, very pleased with it also. One of the benefits of living in the UK is that they turn up super-quick too! Smile

Which tier did you choose on the Pine64 kickstarter?
I chose the 2GB w/ wifi. I live in Canada BTW. Note, I am somewhat miffed that the shipping cost is double what other companies charge to ship similar from China such as for example my Orange Pi. However, I did sign on the dotted line knowing the price before hand. Sigh.

Oh ok, I was just wondering where you got the Feb 15th order date from and the April 1st shipping date, as the kickstarter tiers only have estimated delivery dates. The project ended on January 23rd, so that essentially is the order date. There was a lockdown date of April 15th as a latest possible date by which to complete Backerkit survey...or maybe I have misunderstood and you ordered on Feb 15th direct via the website? If so, it was my understanding that those orders would not be completed until fulfilment of all kickstarter pledges, which is May.
(03-25-2016, 09:10 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(03-25-2016, 08:54 PM)TerryB Wrote:
(03-25-2016, 02:46 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Which tier did you choose on the Pine64 kickstarter?
I chose the 2GB w/ wifi. I live in Canada BTW. Note, I am somewhat miffed that the shipping cost is double what other companies charge to ship similar from China such as for example my Orange Pi. However, I did sign on the dotted line knowing the price before hand. Sigh.

Oh ok, I was just wondering where you got the Feb 15th order date from and the April 1st shipping date, as the kickstarter tiers only have estimated delivery dates.
I didn't KS, I missed the closing day by 2 days. I ordered directly from www.Pine64.org which then went through trycelery apparently.
@TerryB: heh, you replied whilst I was editing my post above...
Stop backing Kickstarters or comparing them to direct release products... APPLES and ORANGES!!! What is the percentage of tech hardware products that ships ON TIME from KS... I'd be willing to bet its VERY Low! Less than 10% I'd wager... You should know this going in... Its in the TOS... These dates are always provided as ESTIMATES... 

Full disclosure, I am not affiliated with Pine64 in any way, I am a late round KS Backer in the 20k backer number range... But damn you guys need to chill, if you needed something by a certain date you should NEVER have even considered a Kickstarter campaign as you aren't even guaranteed a product as they are called "Rewards" for a reason!!! Get off your entitled bench and get back on the ground with the rest of the patient backers...
(03-26-2016, 11:23 AM)nagmier Wrote: Stop backing Kickstarters or comparing them to direct release products... APPLES and ORANGES!!! What is the percentage of tech hardware products that ships ON TIME from KS... I'd be willing to bet its VERY Low! Less than 10% I'd wager... You should know this going in... Its in the TOS... These dates are always provided as ESTIMATES... 

Full disclosure, I am not affiliated with Pine64 in any way, I am a late round KS Backer in the 20k backer number range... But damn you guys need to chill, if you needed something by a certain date you should NEVER have even considered a Kickstarter campaign as you aren't even guaranteed a product as they are called "Rewards" for a reason!!! Get off your entitled bench and get back on the ground with the rest of the patient backers...

You are right, kind of. But there are also people here on these forums who bought a Pine64 direct from the website and are just trying to find out when it will ship, who were not part of the kickstarter.
(03-26-2016, 11:23 AM)nagmier Wrote: Stop backing Kickstarters or comparing them to direct release products... APPLES and ORANGES!!! What is the percentage of tech hardware products that ships ON TIME from KS... I'd be willing to bet its VERY Low! Less than 10% I'd wager... You should know this going in... Its in the TOS... These dates are always provided as ESTIMATES... 

When did this become about shipping? That is a topic that deserves it's own thread. I'm talking about the hardware design and lack of official documentation.
People don't seem to understand what Kickstarter is about, you do take a risk of problems arising, these are mostly brand new companies on there.

Also people will use this board for lots of different purposes. For me it is a bargain, the cost is important as I am starting with 6 and will probably expand to 20, to build an array of gigabit connected compute to run Machine Learning in parallel. There is no way I could achieve 80 cores in a cost affective way otherwise. I simply need it to support Docker at some point and I'll be happy.
(03-25-2016, 12:33 PM)MarkS Wrote: The Raspberry Pi 3 is about to be/is released with many of the same features as the Pine 64. On top of that, the Pine 64 is more than double the size of the Raspberry Pi with a board that is too thin, causing warping. It looks and feels "cheap". The board could have been laid out better with additional layers and, thus, thickness with components on both sides, reducing board size. The main selling point to me is that Raspberry Pi doesn't (yet) run Android. Other than that, they are not dissimilar enough to choose the pine 64 over the Pi.

If I had known about the Pi 3 when I found out about the Pine 64, I wouldn't have backed the pine 64.

Anyone else feel disappointed?

The Rpi3 is not quite the same characteristics that Pine64. Firstly two times less RAM. Secondly denser layout reduces the size of the Board but, a closer location of the components on the Board also increases their mutual influence on each other (including heat). For example installation of a radiator of system of cooling is more problematic in the case Rpi3 in mind the need to use a smaller square radiator (and thus reduce its effectiveness). In the third Ethernet port. Fourth at Rpi3 while-there is no beta version of the OS with at least partial support for the processor architecture. Fourthly the price. Yes Pine64 also has its drawbacks, but objectively advantage in comparison with Rpi3 more.
personnally I think the team do a good job, with +30 000 backer, It is not easy yo take care care all of order.

They should have taken a small lead in the manufacture of modules and add ons. KK isn't amazon, but they say a date ( march or april or february) but this is only temporary.

Me I say a very thank you to TL Lim and the team, because they do a good job,
although I haven't got yet my board. tl lim he stays up late for their product and community.

Just, I hopo to have my board and add on module for my birthday in late april.
For me the dealbreaker is the lack of 2D/3D drivers for Linux.
This could have been the new Pi.
But it fell short exactly where everyone else did.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  disappointed Jschnee 6 8,425 05-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Luke
  very disappointed strontium62 7 9,191 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Beryllium
Sad Disappointed That I Bought the 2GB model FiZiX 40 65,953 04-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Tarjei85