Disappointed That I Bought the 2GB model
Sad 
I got my 2GB Pine A64 today and was pretty happy until I went to install an OS. According to the wiki, I can't install Arch Linux or Remix OS "due to a bug involving DMA data transfer with the gigabit ethernet."

As far as I can tell, my only option is to install Android Lollipop (which is useless to me). I'm very disappointed that I paid extra for the 2GB model and cannot use it as advertised. Any idea when either of those OSes will be fixed? In the meantime, do I have any other options besides Android??
Not that this is a big help, but I'm feeling your pain too!

Hoping for a fix to the DMA Ethernet issue with the 2GB boards soon!
(04-05-2016, 04:41 PM)FiZiX Wrote: I got my 2GB Pine A64 today and was pretty happy until I went to install an OS. According to the wiki, I can't install Arch Linux or Remix OS "due to a bug involving DMA data transfer with the gigabit ethernet."

As far as I can tell, my only option is to install Android Lollipop (which is useless to me). I'm very disappointed that I paid extra for the 2GB model and cannot use it as advertised. Any idea when either of those OSes will be fixed? In the meantime, do I have any other options besides Android??

I have the 2 GB model and was able to get Arch Linux to install and run fine with ethernet plugged in, But when it came to trying Remix OS I was able to get it to boot to the main screen but as soon as I plugged the ethernet in, the os just kept rebooting and would not stop.  I feel your pain, though, they really need to have some other operating system other than android that runs smoothly, otherwise this board is basically useless to some, if not most people who bought it for projects or other things that need something other than android.
Linux side is already fixed. Android is different story - developers from linux side are not so interested in that work. Patches for BSP kernel are available so someone could pick it up.
Now that there are many more people with the boards more problems will see the light, but more people will be able to pick up the work as well.
(04-05-2016, 04:41 PM)FiZiX Wrote: I got my 2GB Pine A64 today and was pretty happy until I went to install an OS. According to the wiki, I can't install Arch Linux or Remix OS "due to a bug involving DMA data transfer with the gigabit ethernet."

I just received my Pine64 2GB version yesterday and was also disappointed at the lack of a working OS image on the Wiki. But looking around the forum I found this thread : http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=376, and I now have Ubuntu Xenial with running with 2GB and ethernet, even was a script included to install Mate desktop. Not sure how well it works yet, all OSes for arm64 are pretty recent. There may be an Arch image available that works with 2GB in the Linux Development forum at http://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=17.

Darko
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.
Same here. I wanted to support the project by upgrading all the way to 2GB, and it seems that has made me a second-class citizen. Apparently the devs didn't bother to test anything with the GbE interface.

Good find, lenny!
I built the above Debian images using longsleep's simple bsp image.

I am working on the audio issue at the moment (I have narrowed it down) and may need someone to test one of the de's to see if they can reproduce my findings. I will release a patch in the near future.

Remember to expand the rootfs once you have restored the image to SD Card Wink
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
The developers only got a 1GB board to test on, the only way they could have tested the 2GB model is if they backed the Kickstarter and got their pledge. Every developer got the same board level. Looking back, this was not a great idea.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
Much thanks Lenny.raposo! Smile

I will test the Mate version later today.
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.
i also bought the 2gb model, i will attempt testing both mate and the xcfe desktop versions soon. i have tried just about every other one i have found on the forum and from longsleep's post that had the xenial and arch linux versions, as well as several android versions already, using 2 different sd cards ( either one would work to be honest really ), but my problem was that it was trying to boot and would kick on my monitor but it would continue to go from sleep mode to trying to turn on, then back to sleep mode over and over again. i know this isn't a power issue as i have used 2 different usb charging batteries, several usb cables, 3 different usb chargers that plug into the wall, all of which are 2.1 a 5v minimal (with of course taking into account the usb cables themselves which is why i used several different cables), so what i think i am running into is something with the software i've put on the flash drive in these accounts.

now, i did run into a problem using win32imager a couple times, which i corrected that issue by plugging the usb sd micro card reader into the computer without a usb cable extension (that seemed to fix that problem) and was getting successful writes for all of these different img files i have downloaded trying to get this to work.

phoenixcard doesn't work for anything but the android img file i downloaded from the wiki, but even that img file wouldnt burn properly to the 32gb card. at this point i have wasted about 3 hours and i am tired of messing with this. i will however try again later using these specific 2 imgs u have put up here, if in fact i am doing something wrong, is there something i am doing besides power, and besides monitors (i have 2, one of which is a 10.1 inch that connects to a board that you would use for an raspberry pi and is the one i am really trying to get to working with this, and another one that is a 1920 x 1080 through a dvi which actually is the one i tested on for it after attempting the 10.1 inch)

for the monitors, the hdmi - dvi connector is okay because it actually was kicking on then going to sleep and say no connection over and over again, the 10.1 inch monitor i am trying to make work with this never did anything although it does work as i tried switching between other devices.

i know i should probably try one last time with these two images, but i really don't want to atm, so other than trying these two img files, am i doing anything else wrong here? such as using 0.9.5 of win32 imager or is there another imager i can use for windows 7 64 bit home edition?

tl dr windows 7 64 bit home edition, 2 different monitors, several other distros, 3 hours of working on this with several different distros besides these, will try the others later, definitely ample power, it acts like it's turning on over and over again on the monitors when using the win32imager but just doesn't start up properly, what am i doing wrong? please actually read all i wrote.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know which Pine 64 model I have? stamminator 1 4,470 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: tllim
  disappointed Jschnee 6 8,573 05-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Luke
  very disappointed strontium62 7 9,314 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Beryllium
  Anyone else disappointed? MarkS 42 53,208 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Last Post: NishaPine