Perfect ABS Plastic Server Enclosure from Radio Shack
(09-23-2016, 01:53 AM)Prince3121 Wrote: Cool

Finally, have most of the hardware, to build my Pine64 into the ABS enclosure. This is only temporary, as I'm hopefully, sourcing a C4 Labs enclosure, via a travelling friend.

My Parts List so far:
ABS case 195x110x60mm, only size I could get.
M3 30mm nuts and bolts
5V DC fan to follow
2N2222 transistor
LEDs
Power and Reset Micro-switches
Extra HDMI Cables.

Pity about the only HDMI video support, as I have an old LCD VGA screen, which I used with my RPi 3, via the VGA to HDMI adapter. Luckily, I have an LG LCD monitor with a HDMI input, which works perfectly. I even tried a DVI to HDMI adapter to fit my old AOC 22" Screen, but no luck there.

Will attempt to get everything put together and mounted by this weekend. I have already installed and started up the Pine64, with the Android and now Ubuntu image loaded onto the Microsd card, successfully. Think I will play a little first before deciding what project to attempt with it.

Big Grin

Did you happen to see C4's solution to the LCD enclosure?
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1682 (page 7)

Matt
+1 me if I have helped you in any way. Thank you.
(09-24-2016, 10:49 AM)Bluphire Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 01:53 AM)Prince3121 Wrote: Cool

Finally, have most of the hardware, to build my Pine64 into the ABS enclosure. This is only temporary, as I'm hopefully, sourcing a C4 Labs enclosure, via a travelling friend.

My Parts List so far:
ABS case 195x110x60mm, only size I could get.
M3 30mm nuts and bolts
5V DC fan to follow
2N2222 transistor
LEDs
Power and Reset Micro-switches
Extra HDMI Cables.

Pity about the only HDMI video support, as I have an old LCD VGA screen, which I used with my RPi 3, via the VGA to HDMI adapter. Luckily, I have an LG LCD monitor with a HDMI input, which works perfectly. I even tried a DVI to HDMI adapter to fit my old AOC 22" Screen, but no luck there.

Will attempt to get everything put together and mounted by this weekend. I have already installed and started up the Pine64, with the Android and now Ubuntu image loaded onto the Microsd card, successfully. Think I will play a little first before deciding what project to attempt with it.

Big Grin

Did you happen to see C4's solution to the LCD enclosure?
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1682 (page 7)

Matt

Ok cool. Will check it out.

Thanx.
Cool

I know its been a while since I posted here, but I found a friend, who 3D printed, a case based on the Thingiverse design below:
Pine A64/A64+ Case

He printed both versions, for me, so now I need to decide, if I will use the Pine64 for a media player or some other application.

Big Grin
(09-07-2017, 12:30 AM)Prince3121 Wrote: Cool

I know its been a while since I posted here, but I found a friend, who 3D printed, a case based on the Thingiverse design below:
Pine A64/A64+ Case

He printed both versions, for me, so now I need to decide, if I will use the Pine64 for a media player or some other application.

Big Grin

Welcome back, the Thingiverse design looks good. Personally I prefer black one :-)
I really like the concept that MarkHaysHarris777 posted https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4961

I thought that was a fabulous idea and maybe Pine could take that a stage further where the packing/transit box could actually be a highly functional modular stackable system.
That you could get further boxes through the store.

I do like the simplicity of the current store offering which are basically just clear acrylic sheets mounted on a threaded standoff.
If anyone has ever added a few GPIO boards and seen how odd it looks to have your SBC in a case whilst your GPIO additions just sit on top in free air is a little strange.
The store offering at least makes GPIO stacks and possible cluster stacks an easy reality.

Whilst I am warbling on about GPIO stacks has anyone ever managed to source short 40 pin ribbon cables as IDE extension cables are a tad long.
I have gone for active cooling and also a UPS LiPo board and with fan, couple of boards the stack becomes quite a headache to get an easy perfect fit.
The header on header with extended pins works quite well until you need a taller space between boards and just thought I would mention that as never really seen an good off the shelf solution.

If any of the community have any ideas on how to improve the packing / transit case of the rock64 with some CAD drawings for maybe possible future use it would be great to see what ideas you can come up with.

Structurally the case doesn't have to be that strong as the hex standoffs are weight loading.
The current polypropylene box compared to others is relatively easy to cut & machine and the minimal amount of plastic is also quite eco friendly.
The case needs to be close fitting on 3 sides with a bit of space on the GPIO edge.
The opposite side to the GPIO maybe could do with pillar spaces molded in so the connectors can be flush to the case.
Also case can stack to allow easy addition of GPIO boards / Stacks.
Provide printable cutout guides as polypropylene is really easy to cut.

Like I say I think the idea posted by MarkHaysHarris777 and maybe with a bit of community tinkering a really superb and functional solution unique to Pine could be accomplished that really is modular and capable and somewhere between the simple stackable store offering and a full enclosure that fits all.

Prob would be of interest to all the SoC/maker crowd as from Pi's, Tinker boards to the Rock64 anything based on the Pi format would be a perfect fit, without current cases that don't cater for different connector types or slight variations.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video 7" LCD wooden framen enclosure for Pine64 *UPDATED WITH killor 12 19,506 10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Last Post: tllim
Rainbow (Cluster) Modified Playbox Enclosure Progress predominant 3 5,339 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Nostalgic enclosure VHS carlo318 4 7,387 03-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Last Post: carlo318
  How is the battery Supposed to be mounted in the PlayBox enclosure? dbarbee 2 5,595 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
  Enclosure for flush-mounting the 7" touchscreen Learnincurve 9 12,760 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,606 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Tablet Enclosure Vachtra 11 19,603 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Toriless
Rainbow PineA64 Home-Brew card-board Play Box for Android & LCD Enclosure MarkHaysHarris777 9 18,775 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM
  White box plastic enclosure clawinus 3 6,496 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Bluphire
Rainbow DMG/Classic Gameboy Enclosure!? n_n' Gearsoul 54 63,913 09-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Ghost