Should a "Genode OS on PinePhone" forum be created?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
6 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

ATTN MODS: Create 'Genode OS on PinePhone' Sub-Forum under PinePhone Software
[Poll doesn't allow for editing. Add to your comment if your Yes is a "Yes, Now" or "Yes, Later"]

I've been running Arch ARM on a PP as my daily driver coming up on nine months.

It's the best OS so far in my opinion, but there are still glitches that I don't mind because I only need it for phone & text. Others appear to have much more difficulty when using all of its "smart" applications (GPS, Web, etc.).

Given that the PP forums seem overwhelmed with what's not working probably due in part to volunteer developers understandably shifting focus to PPP development, I ask that you create a "Genode OS on PinePhone" forum because their main focus is developing a micro kernel that solves for many of these obstacles (battery life!) currently plaguing the PP.

I've tried out the latest test version of Genode OS and it's great. Boots in 10 seconds, the web browser works well, battery life seems improved, and some of the other test features are really promising.

Best of all, one of the Genode developers (@nfeske) is here on the forum and has been really quick to answer questions regarding their pilot OS.

So if you want to breathe life back into the PP, please create this new forum to help us provide feedback to its developers.

Here are related links to their project:

https://genodians.org/nfeske/2023-02-01-mobile-sculpt

https://depot.genode.org/nfeske/image/

https://genode.org/about/road-map
i decided to vote "yes". however some middle option or options should be there. maybe in this case: "yes, later".

as a generic recommendation. put more than two options on a poll. two options lead to inaccurate results, voters may not vote because middle and other options are missing. two options exaggerates results. because vote options cannot be changed afterwards, think before you post. vote options should be clear.

(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)PineFone Wrote: I've been running Arch ARM on a PP as my daily driver coming up on nine months.

It's the best OS so far in my opinion, but there are still glitches that I don't mind because I only need it for phone & text. Others appear to have much more difficulty when using all of its "smart" applications (GPS, Web, etc.).

i listen internet radio through browser, it works enough.

(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)PineFone Wrote: Given that the PP forums seem overwhelmed with what's not working probably due in part to volunteer developers understandably shifting focus to PPP development, I ask that you create a "Genode OS on PinePhone" forum because their main focus is developing a micro kernel that solves for many of these obstacles (battery life!) currently plaguing the PP.

i don't think developers are shifting from pp regular into pp pro that much.

(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)PineFone Wrote: I've tried out the latest test version of Genode OS and it's great. Boots in 10 seconds, the web browser works well, battery life seems improved, and some of the other test features are really promising.

Best of all, one of the Genode developers (@nfeske) is here on the forum and has been really quick to answer questions regarding their pilot OS.

i probably test later.

(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)PineFone Wrote: So if you want to breathe life back into the PP, please create this new forum to help us provide feedback to its developers.

probably meant under pinephone software section.

(02-10-2023, 06:59 PM)PineFone Wrote: Here are related links to their project:

https://genodians.org/nfeske/2023-02-01-mobile-sculpt

https://depot.genode.org/nfeske/image/

https://genode.org/about/road-map
(02-11-2023, 05:34 AM)zetabeta Wrote: A) "vote options should be clear."

B) "i listen internet radio through browser, it works enough."

C) "i don't think developers are shifting from pp regular into pp pro that much."

D) "probably meant under pinephone software section."

A) Don't do a lot of forum polls and am not up on the etiquite. It doesn't let me alter the poll after the fact so I added a disclaimer to the top of the original post to clarify.

B) Haven't done that, but it crashes often using firefox for normal web surfing and have seen similar complaints here over the months.

C) I mostly pay attention to Arch and noticed @Danct12 hasn't posted much since the last July '22 update. Before I noticed replies to users about performance issues pretty regularly and guessed it's because the focus is now PPP [CONFIRMED: PPP Arch update released 2/3/23 without any PP update]. Are most developers just as active now with PP as a year ago? It seems like they're less involved based on the forum comments complaining about the same issues not getting fixed after all this time?

D) Yes, that's what I meant. Edited title accordingly.
(02-11-2023, 10:10 AM)PineFone Wrote: A) Don't do a lot of forum polls and am not up on the etiquite. It doesn't let me alter the poll after the fact so I added a disclaimer to the top of the original post to clarify.

don't take it too deeply. i'm just saying that messy polls leads to bad results. and recommendation was also for the other polls (in the future).

(02-11-2023, 10:10 AM)PineFone Wrote: C) I mostly pay attention to Arch and noticed @Danct12 hasn't posted much since the last July '22 update. Before I noticed replies to users about performance issues pretty regularly and guessed it's because the focus is now PPP [CONFIRMED: PPP Arch update released 2/3/23 without any PP update]. Are most developers just as active now with PP as a year ago? It seems like they're less involved based on the forum comments complaining about the same issues not getting fixed after all this time?

do you mean image files? if that, i was wondering why arch was stuck on 2022-07-09 for some time. but now there is 2023-02-03. mobian and manjaro are updated more often.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,349 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 280 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Genode OS steffenvongrabau 73 20,134 02-17-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,157 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,945 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,713 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,952 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,762 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 816 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,838 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM