keyboard and usb ports not working
Hi there,

Looking to see if there are any troubleshooting ideas i've missed.

I have a pinebook pro where I turn it on and the os loads but the keyboard and usb ports aren't working. Originally they worked but over time it seemed like it would take longer and longer for the keyboard to start working, after a while I had to wait a few minutes for any keys to function.

Now, only the power button works. I can have it sit all day and the keyboard or usb ports don't work, thus I can't even try an external keyboard. This is both on battery and plugged in.

I've tried loading different distros on sd card, took the back off and reattached the keyboard cable. I can't see any signs of damage anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Right now i feel like it's done.

thanks
Do you have ssh working? (and another computer?,, and connected?)
BTW, with manjaro I have found that usb-ethernet (dongle) autoloads required modules
so the only trouble is finding out address
If not, try putting in plastic bag, freezing and sudo systemctl start sshd
See what you get with ... dmesg|grep usb ; lsmod |grep usb
I, just recently, had another computer lose all usb,, it was not loading
anything other than usbcore and a bunch of usb-snd modules
after some simplifying all it needed was xhci_pci, that pulled in everything else
But if other distros don't work, it is likely dying/dead
(02-14-2022, 11:19 AM)wdt Wrote: Do you have ssh working? (and another computer?,, and connected?)
BTW, with manjaro I have found that usb-ethernet (dongle) autoloads required modules
so the only trouble is finding out address
If not, try putting in plastic bag, freezing and sudo systemctl start sshd
See what you get with ... dmesg|grep usb  ;  lsmod |grep usb
I, just recently, had another computer lose all usb,, it was not loading
anything other than usbcore and a bunch of usb-snd modules
after some simplifying all it needed was xhci_pci, that pulled in everything else
But if other distros don't work, it is likely dying/dead

Thanks for the response,
I wasn't able to access it via ssh, i had it connected to a usb to ethernet adapter.
I'm going to try another distro, had recently tried dietpi, as I just noticed my router doesn't see it. i'll try ssh again after putting another distro on the sd card.
For putting it in a plastic bag and freezing it..not sure if you're just joking around..but with the status of my pinebook i'd give anything a try.
I'm thinking it's likely dying/dead with multiple distros producing the same effect.
>For putting it in a plastic bag and freezing it..not sure if you're just joking around
Not at all, sometimes this will work to give a few minutes of life with a damaged chip
It is low percentage (success), and when warms up nearly always fails again
But it would enable you to start sshd

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 155 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 126,978 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  Separate ISO keyboard for PBP Besouro 0 649 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Besouro
Information Keyboard Duplicate Keypress Fix RjraymondDuplicate 0 1,061 02-17-2022, 11:52 PM
Last Post: RjraymondDuplicate
  Replacing the Keyboard gabb 6 6,307 01-11-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Valenoern
  power on PBP if your keyboard is dead? stozi 0 1,282 11-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Last Post: stozi
  UART switch not working [EDIT: I got it working] kileel 5 3,405 10-24-2021, 11:17 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  pinebook pro trackpad randomly stops working chewie 5 5,687 08-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Last Post: chewie
  Replacement scissor switches (ANSI keyboard)? zackw 3 3,718 08-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Some Keys No Longer Working pietenpol 0 1,699 06-05-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: pietenpol