Is Pinebook pro a realistic option for me?
i've been arround this for some time, im looking for a secondary pc so i can deliver it with me regardless of where or what, my principal makes use of are usual web surfing, video duplicate, playing some video games ("children" like rocket league, a few gba/n64 emulation or terrible north/roguelike, can be diablo saga (diablo 1 or diablo 2, now not three), nothing unique i think, if not posible please inform me), customization (in particular openbox and tint2/rofi) and if its posible jogging some ctf/cybersecurity stuff.

already asked in different subreddits and the principle answer i received turned into "it might be satisfactory, but not sufficient, im not positive" (caps handiest for enphasis). i recognise that arm nowadays its a subject to discover in some approaches but i need to head as easy as posible,so, which might be the real frontiers i might find in my manner that may think a problem to be 100% useful?. must i search for other alternatives?

i without a doubt like this platform but i dont want to get beneath lots of issues just because its not that supported via "massive developers" or a big network (i dont recognise how much of that is genuine, im sorry if i harm a person).

thanks and have a pleasing day.
The only thing that will hold you back is Diablo and Rocket League.
Unless there's an ARM build of the games or otherwise the games are entirely open source, you won't be able to run them on the PineBook Pro.
Emulation is possible, since for each emulated platform there's at least 1 open source project which you can build yourself.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(10-29-2021, 11:51 AM)haxelfebl Wrote: i've been arround this for some time, im looking for a secondary pc so i can deliver it with me regardless of where or what, my principal makes use of are usual web surfing, video duplicate, playing some video games ("children" like rocket league, a few gba/n64 emulation or terrible north/roguelike, can be diablo saga (diablo 1 or diablo 2, now not three), nothing unique i think, if not posible please inform me), customization (in particular openbox and tint2/rofi) and if its posible jogging some ctf/cybersecurity stuff.
already asked in different subreddits and the principle answer i received turned into "it might be satisfactory, but not sufficient, im not positive" (caps handiest for enphasis). i recognise that arm nowadays its a subject to discover in ome approaches but i need to head as easy as posible,so, which might be the real frontiers i might find in my manner that may think a problem tobe 100% useful?. must i search for other alternatives?

i without a doubt like this platform but i dont want to get beneath lots of issues just because its not that supported via "massive developers" or a big network (i dont recognise how much of that is genuine, im sorry if i harm a person).

thanks and have a pleasing day.
issue got solved
https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

Works well on the PBP, and is a Diablo1 engine.

But yeah, games like Rocketleague or really anything that would require a x86 CPU and a faster GPU will not work at all.

Some (much) older x86 games can work with the box64 compatibility layer though.

But all in all your description sound like you will be more happy with a normal x86 laptop... get a used one from a few years ago if cost is an issue.
(10-30-2021, 05:15 PM)poVoq Wrote: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

Works well on the PBP, and is a Diablo1 engine.

But yeah, games like Rocketleague or really anything that would require a x86 CPU and a faster GPU will not work at all.

Some (much) older x86 games can work with the box64 compatibility layer though.

But all in all your description sound like you will be more happy with a normal x86 laptop... get a used one from a few years ago if cost is an issue.

I heard you could run wine through QEMU-user.
I bet the performance will be horrific, but I think it should be technically possible.
Other than DOSBOX for Dos applications and games, I would avoid virtualization on the PBP.  I have made it work, but the performance is painful at best. 

If a pretty snappy chromebook would serve your needs the PBP will do a better job.  If not, then you probably need more horsepower and compatibility than it provides.
Ancient teacher (Secondary Field Science/Math), Warrior (USARNG- RET SSG), and IT warrior (30+ years Coder, Network/Systems Administrator, general house geek). 
Pinebook Pro user (Debian, Manjaro)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 584,358 Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,232 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 373 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 278 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 270 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 205 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 632 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 705 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,467 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,163 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt