Aftermarket Pine Phone Batteries
Hello again Everyone,
I've been using my new Pine Phone since the weekend and I have been very pleased with it. That being said, a longer lasting battery would be nice. I have no doubts that the community will continue optimizing software for minimal power consumption. In the meantime, are there any aftermarket batteries available in the J7 form factor with greater capacity?

I'm hoping something like that exists and Pine64 was just trying to keep prices down with the included battery. I remember there was this YouTube video where he finds batteries compatible with his iPhone 7 but with greater storage from Chinese street vendors and the J7 is a fairly common type itself.
https://youtu.be/faLaueR-Pgk

It'd be worth it for people like myself who use their Pine Phones as daily drivers to pay for a premium battery

So far though all I've found is this Reddit thread where they say they found a "replacement" and one of the replies mentions a "fat" battery which will work at the cost of the Pine Phone's back casing not fitting overtop.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PINE64official/...nd_tested/

Alternatively has anyone modeled a 3D printable larger back casing that can house a fat battery?
I have heard about the possibility of fatter batteries in the future, but I just bought extra batteries off eBay
I also found a replacement battery(s) on Ebay, mine actually has a 'Samsung' label, *(though I suppose it could possibly be an imitation),
<<The label says it is 3000mAh. * (quite close to the Pine 2800mAh battery)>>
In my usage so far it seems to be very close in performance, about the same discharge rate, .. it 'may' charge a little bit faster...
I have only had them a few months so far, .. so I cannot say how long their lifetime is, .. compared to the factory Pine battery.

But in my searches I have not found a 'higher capacity' battery, .. even in a fatter size.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-06-2021, 01:26 PM)KNERD Wrote: I have heard about the possibility of fatter batteries in the future, but I just bought extra batteries off eBay

Which model number did you get? The wiki here

https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone#Battery

Says the aftermarket BJ700BBU batteries with extended capacity "fit but are a tight fit". Are those the "fat" batteries mentioned in the Reddit thread? If not then I see BJ700BBU batteries with almost double the mAh of the stock Pine Phone battery.
I bought the 'EB-BJ700CBE'

The first one fit identical to the Pine battery, .. the second one fit just a bit too tight for my taste so I filed just a 'little' from the lower edge.
* Now that one also fits like a Pine battery.

* Before buying a battery I had read here on the forum,
Someone had purchased the EB-BJ700BBU and they had to remove a plastic strip from the battery for it to fit.

I think the wiki may be just a little in-accurate in the description. * but It is still a guide or starting point.

Do a little checking online and use some common sense before buying,
Sometimes people may state their opinions as facts...

ADD :
The BBU batteries I see are also rated at 3000mAh

ALSO :
From experience, when you swap batteries, you will probably have to reset your phones time.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-06-2021, 02:28 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I bought the 'EB-BJ700CBE'

The first one fit identical to the Pine battery, ..  the second one fit just a bit too tight for my taste so I filed just a 'little' from the lower edge.
* Now that one also fits like a Pine battery.

* Before buying a battery I had read here on the forum,
Someone had purchased the EB-BJ700BBU and they had to remove a plastic strip from the battery for it to fit.

I think the wiki may be just a little in-accurate in the description.  * but It is still a guide or starting point.

Do a little checking online and use some common sense before buying,
Sometimes people may state their opinions as facts...

ADD :
The BBU batteries I see are also rated at 3000mAh

ALSO :
From experience,  when you swap batteries, you will probably have to reset your phones time.

eBay seems to regularly have listings for extended BJ700BBU batteries. There's a seller from California I just found selling 3 of them with 4420mAh. The shipping to me me Canada would probably cost more than the battery but maybe I'll be a bad enough dude to risk it so the rest of us can know for sure.
A german company manufactures compatible batteries with 3150 mAh (not much more than the standard battery but better than nothing), I use one of them in my PinePhone for months now:
https://www.polarcell.de/en/mobile-phone...j700f.html
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
In the flashlight world we have long known that a lot of battery sellers increase the mAh rating of their batteries by changing the label. Battery tech is quite mature, and if the chemistry is the same, the energy density is not going to be very different.

Thanks, Dante404. I believe I found that battery on ebay, a little simpler from the US.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393618305508?ha...Sw3rZhX8TU
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.
Just to help keep score here, I'm an electronics engineer who knows how to bench test batteries.  The one supplied with my phone tests at slightly over 2000mAh, so I ordered a genuine Samsung EB-BJ700BBU from Amazon that the PinePhone wiki describes as "a tight fit", it's a little bit tighter than the supplied battery but nothing to get excited about, and it bench tests at slightly over 3000mAh ... I'm quite happy with it.
***   Don't be a minion in the (i)droid army   ***

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 935 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,614 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,418 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  too much batteries Gwen 1 907 03-04-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: Gwen