Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,113
» Latest member: joe1
» Forum threads: 15,682
» Forum posts: 114,552

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
cable modem open source
Forum: General
Last Post: KC9UDX
3 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 39
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
6 hours ago
» Replies: 15
» Views: 1,925
Pinephone pro replacement...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: Linuxuser3
Today, 05:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 23
cable modem open source
Last Post: aular
Yesterday, 09:22 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 33
Waydroid install instruct...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: zetabeta
Yesterday, 04:56 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 53
Power off error message
Forum: PineTab Software
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
Yesterday, 10:18 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 83
google will take control ...
Last Post: zetabeta
Yesterday, 09:48 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 1,231
Help needed to understand...
Last Post: jojuma
Yesterday, 09:29 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 138
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Last Post: diederik
Yesterday, 05:47 AM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 2,119
AI posts
Last Post: TRS-80
04-25-2024, 08:14 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1,022

Thumbs Down Extreme disappointement with Pine's shipping department
Posted by: disappointment - 07-29-2021, 04:53 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (26)

I ordered a pinephone earlier this month and knew it might take some time for the phone to arrive. I was ok with that. I did decide to use DHL for delivery - a little more expensive but from what I was reading worth the extra money for shipment to the USA. On June 23rd, I received a notice that that a tracking number was created but the package was not picked up. This status stayed this way until the 26th when I reached out to Pine's shipping department. I was told "they have issue of processing and will update us the status around July 28th". After reaching out to DHL, they had no record of my tracking number but asked me to get the pickup or dropoff confirmation number provided by DHL. After multiple attempts after multiple days, pine has yet to provide this number to assure that DHL had actually picked up the phone. On July 28th they finally admitted that DHL picked up the pallet that my package was on, and the palate went to New Zealand and I am to wait through August 2nd before there is any further status. They offered a different tracking number showing the package going to NZ but have yet to offer the original pickup of droppoff confirmation number so I could work with DHL. DHL is still denying they ever picked up my package and will refuse to work with me without the pickup or dropoff confirmation number given to Pine64 when they picked up the pallet with my package on it.

I paid extra for this???? Pine has no interest in helping me right this mistake. If anyone is reading this from Pine64, please assist me in getting my phone in a reasonable amount of time!!!! I am happy to give my tracking number and order number if requested.

PLEASE!

Thanks.

Rock64 Android Oreo 8.1 TV-Install adventures (Now Android 9.0)
Posted by: Rocklobster - 07-29-2021, 04:49 PM - Forum: Android on Rock64 - Replies (5)

As it mentions above this was a bit of an adventure. Just a bit of background. I bought my first Rock64 4g a couple of years ago to run as a home automation server. It was pre RPI4 so was way ahead in it's league at the time.I installed Armbian and with the relevant OS updates it's been running 24/7 ever since without any problems.

Fast forward to today. I noticed over the last year interest was waning in this board. Community posts are down to a trickle. I managed to pick up five of these boards for a fraction of what I paid for my original purchase. Now that I needed an Android TV box I decided to give it a go and install Android 8.1 TV on an SD card as per the recommended install image https://files.pine64.org/os/ROCK64/andro...oot.img.xz . The following is how I went about it and the results that followed

I downloaded the image mentioned above.Instead of the recommended install procedure I extracted the downloaded image with Win7zip https://www.7-zip.org/download.html . It's a very stable file extraction utility and the extraction process went fine. I then used Win32 Disk Image https://win32diskimager.download/ to write the extracted image to the SD card. Once that was complete I popped the SD card into the Rock64 and powered it up and to my surprise after 10 minutes the Rock64 splash screen appeared followed shortly after by it the Android splash and finally the Actual Android GUI.

After configuring the usual locales and connecting to wired LAN via the ethernet port and attaching a mouse/keyboard I was ready to go. I started to notice that wired LAN was dropping packets and disconnecting and reconnectiing.After a quick search here with suggestions of changing to shorter ethernet cables, two pair cable instead of four to resolve Gigabit Ethernet resolution issues nothing worked. Of course I was lucky enough to have four other boards to swap in. Well I've discovered that two of the five boards have faulty ethernet connectors and one of them also faulty USB2 connectors. Also it looks like USB2 to external DAC is out owing to cracks and pops during playback.This behaviour is similar to that on the RPI3+ owing to conflict between ethernet and USB2 bus. Obviously I can't confirm this for sure on the Rock64 but I know I am experiencing this.

I finally settled on one board that boots with no issues.Full Gigabit ethernet, USB2 ports working fine. My next problem was low sound. I tried every possible option for sound out including USB to external DAC. You could barely hear a thing. Finally I stumbled on the ADB option to control sound output. I enabled the Developer option on the Rock64. I installed ADB for Linux on a Linux machine and from the Linux machine issued the adb connect command to connect both machines together. I finally found the command to increase the Rock64 built in audio output to maximum adb shell media volume --show --stream 3 --set 15 .I now had perfect audio via HDMI to an amp via coxial or in my case coaxial from TV to external DAC and analogue to the amplifier. Sound is now perfect.

This install did take a little longer than expected. What I have learnt is that it appears quite a lot of those Rock64 boards may have been faulty from day one and only I had spare boards to experiment with I'd never got Android working on my Rock64. I just did a basic outline here.If anyone planning on doing an Android install on the Rock64 has any questions ask away.

Sad 1080p60 video on PBP Linux
Posted by: chewie - 07-29-2021, 04:39 PM - Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro - Replies (2)

Hi guys,

I'm running Manjaro on my PBP. Loving the device so far. They keyboard is amazing (backlight would have been nice, but I'm not gonna niggle about a $200 laptop) and the screen is pretty WOW.

I'm able to play 1080p30 video in youtube, but 1080p60 video turns into 1080p12 (or thereabouts — tons of dropped frames) in youtube, mpv, and vlc.

I'm running the latest Manjaro.

Has anyone managed to figure out 60fps 1080 video? I believe none of the players I've tried support hardware decoding. Is there any trick to this, or is it just a limitation of the FLOSS video drivers?

Thanks!

Sad No USB-PD IC detected
Posted by: OnAironaut - 07-29-2021, 10:52 AM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinecil - Replies (2)

Hello!

I received my Pinecil in the mail yesterday.

When turning it on for the first time the screen flashed a message No USB-PD IC detected.

[Image: m9mhJI8.jpg]

When powered from DC5525 the Pinecil works, but it emits strange crackling noises from the rear end where the power connectors are located.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar?

Thank you in advance,
JS

pinebook pro dock display out
Posted by: mamboman777 - 07-29-2021, 10:41 AM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro - No Replies

I can't seem to get the dock to consistently send a signal to my dell monitor.  Sometimes I turn it on and it works, others it doesn't.  I have come back to the machine a couple times when it was working to be greeted with the flashing red/green led. 

I flashed PCM's spi flash to boot off of a NVME drive.  It's a Mushkin 250 Drive.  

My system is Linux pinebookpro 5.13.4-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Tue Jul 20 18:40:45 UTC 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I am using the official Pine64 dock.  I am using a powered HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter.  Plugged into the dock i have power, ethernet, mouse, keyboard, and HDMI.  I have tried using a VGA cable instead with similar results. 

I am aware of using the "linux-pinebookpro" package available from Manjaro, but I really want this to work using an up to date Kernel.  I could be wrong, butI believe the up to date kernel is more optimized. It feels that way.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

SD slot damaged, can't boot from SD, what to do?
Posted by: nelstomlinson - 07-29-2021, 10:13 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (6)

I cannot boot from the SD, and apparently I need to do that to flash the eMMC. Pinephone Beta, convergence model, came with Manjaro.

The first time I tried to insert an SD card, it wouldn't go in right. I looked into the slot, and two of the contacts did not look like the others.  My son took it apart and was able see they were bent up.  He was able to bend them down, and I managed to insert an SD with Mobian and boot from it. Now I want to flash Mobian to the eMMC, so I put Jumpdrive on another SD, but now no matter how I insert either SD, it won't boot from it. 

Oddly enough the phone does recognize the SD card after booting from the eMMC! lsblk shows mmcblk0 size 59.9G when the card is inserted, but it won't boot from the SD card it can see after boot!

Two questions:

The SD slot is damaged. Is this repairable?  

The phone does see the SD card after booting, is there a way to make it boot?

Pinephone (For Sale)
Posted by: d3acon - 07-29-2021, 09:04 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - No Replies

Hi folks,

Community Edition: I ran Mobian off of an SD Card.  Mainly used to tinker and play with different distros, never used as a daily driver. It works fine with AT&T mobile carrier in US.

$170 (includes flat rate postal shipping in US).

Lightbulb RK3399 Linux rtl8822cu module bluetooth not working
Posted by: shivarj89 - 07-29-2021, 07:19 AM - Forum: Linux on Rock64 - No Replies

Our development main board consists of  Rockchip RK3399 Processor and Debian9/10 OS and we are using  fn-link 6222D UUC WiFi + Bluetooth 5.0 combo module in our IoT Application.

But Bluetooth is not working in our custom Debian Linux. Please guide us further to solve this issue and send us the appropriate driver for Debian Linux.

PAF..,

Keyboard stopped working on disk encryption screen on Mobian after update
Posted by: cowsay - 07-28-2021, 05:46 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (2)

I just updated Mobian today on my PinePhone, and now suddenly the keyboard quit working on the disk encryption screen.  I'm unable to enter my password.  Is there anything I can do?

I can see the keyboard, but I can't tap on any of the buttons.

Working suspend on Manjaro
Posted by: brzegorz - 07-28-2021, 12:36 PM - Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro - Replies (3)

Hi, just wanted to let you know that after flashing Tow-Boot to SPI I've got working suspend. Steps are described in updog's response here on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/PINE64official/..._pinebook/

The instructions worked for the first release. I haven't checked out the new one yet since it requires a SD card