Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,526
» Latest member: Garesdq1d
» Forum threads: 15,852
» Forum posts: 115,336

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
July 1 upgrade of Mobian ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: mburns
Yesterday, 09:56 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 728
desktop and lockscreen
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: biketool
09-25-2024, 05:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 55
No HDMI Video - Anything ...
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: angrymallard
09-25-2024, 04:58 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 31
2024 Sep 21 - PinePhonePr...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: biketool
09-25-2024, 04:16 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 2,281
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: zetabeta
09-25-2024, 12:41 AM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 6,637
Can't install some softwa...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: mikehenson
09-24-2024, 07:49 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 139
Testing Some More Games o...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: pigkang
09-24-2024, 01:43 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 3,435
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: dachalife
09-23-2024, 12:00 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 139
Developing on Mac (M3)
Forum: Development Discussion on PineTime
Last Post: oksalahti
09-23-2024, 01:27 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 82
Need Help Choosing the Ri...
Forum: General
Last Post: tllim
09-22-2024, 06:28 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 112

Arch working!
Posted by: c0psrul3 - 04-17-2016, 06:11 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (1)

Ok, so thanks to @SkairkrohBule and @Harrisburg, I've gotten the Pine64 running Arch...

The initial image appears to work well, however, I managed to kill it (panic'd boot) with un-graceful shutdowns.  I've run pacman -Syu, everything upgraded just fine.  Working on setting up OpenHAB, now.

Image needs some more work, however.

Is there a github for Arch work on pine64?

[2/5/2016][DEPRECATED]Script to automate GUI installation on Ubuntu
Posted by: Terra854 - 04-17-2016, 01:16 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (34)

***************************************************************ALERT***************************************************************
          THIS TOOL HAS BEEN DEPRECATED. PLEASE USE THIS NEW TOOL TO INSTALL A GUI ON UBUNTU. THIS THREAD IS FOR ARCHIVE PURPOSES ONLY
***********************************************************************************************************************************

Hey guys. I have coded a shell script to install a gui on your Pine64 Ubuntu installation.

https://github.com/Terra854/pine64-ubuntu-gui

Currently, the script is in beta, which means that there might be problems introduced after running the script. If there is problems and you are able to come out a fix for it, I will certainly welcome you to create a pull request in my repository.

Changelog:

-----17/04/2016-----
- Initial Release

-----20/04/2016-----
- KDE now starts automatically after Kubuntu is installed

-----24/04/2016-----
- Major changes to the script that will now install a more complete environment rather than the bare minimum of components.

-----25/04/2016-----
- The 'fix-whatever' shell script by longsleep will now execute automatically after the environment is installed
- Root is now required in order to execute the script

-----05/02/2016-----
- Included new drivers
- Included new software for Lubuntu installation.

Information Installing Node.js from source on Arch Linux
Posted by: faddah - 04-16-2016, 11:05 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (1)

hi all,

so you may have run into some problems installing node.js from source with the arch linux image. 

yes, i am aware you can use Arch's pacman package manager to install node.js and npm, but those tend to name them nodejs on the command line, not the standard node and then you get into a whole other how-to on fixing that. i prefer my node compiled from source and ready to go the way i expect it.

so i thought i'd put together this how-to for those who may have run into similar difficulties.

the short, tl;dr

Arch Linux has python 3.5.1 installed (at least on the image we are using for Pine64 boards). make, node.gyp and the JavaScript V8 engine depend on python 2.7.x.

so do this —

install python2 to Arch Linux using —

Code:
pacman -S python2

from the command in your home directory do:

Code:
mkdir -p ~/bin/
ln -s $(which python2) ~/bin/python
export PATH=~/bin/:$PATH

...then, switch to the directory where you've downloaded and decompressed the node.js source and do —

Code:
cd /path/to/where/your/node.js-source-is/
./configure
make
sudo make install

voila! you got node! test it out with —

Code:
node -v
npm -v

...and — profit!  ? ? ? 

the long version

for background, check out this node.js issue on github, #2735, as well as the issue they all point to and reference, #418, as well as the issue i filed, #6249.
basically, it comes down to this — Arch Linux installs only Python v3.5.1, and the JavaScript V8 engine (maintained by Google's The Chromium Project), as well as Node.js' node.gyp and the script files for the build all want to use Python 2.7.x. If you go into script files for the node install like the configure file, you'll see that at top, it says —

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

now you could use Arch Linux's pacman (similar to deb repositories and apt in Ubuntu and rpm in RedHat) package installer to install Python 2.7.x change this to —

Quote:#!/usr/bin/env python2

...and that would work for a bit with the configure file, but would fail the moment anything is required of node.gyp or the V8 engine, as they have hard coded stuff in them for python which defaults to the OS' python default install, which in Arch Linux is Python 3.5.1.

so over that issue for node.js, @rvagg suggests the following — 
  • install Python 2.7.x to your Arch Linux install using the pacman package manager —
Code:
pacman -S python2
Code:
tar xvf node-vX.X.X-tar.xz

this will create a node source install directory in your Downloads folder. you can go ahead and delete the compressed node.js source file now.
  • switch to your home directory
Code:
cd ~
  • run the following in the command line —
Code:
mkdir -p ~/bin/
ln -s $(which python2) ~/bin/python
export PATH=~/bin/:$PATH

this creates a directory under your home directory that is "bin," you create a symbolic link from there to your python2 for installing, then you export that to your $PATH statement.
  • now switch back to the directory that has your node.js source install, and run the following —
Code:
cd /path/to/where/your/node.js-source-is/
./configure
make
sudo make install

... and voila, you got node!
  • now test it out using —
Code:
node -v
npm -v

...which should return, now, both the version numbers for node.js and npm.

...and — profit!  ? ? ? 

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Video Logitech Harmony Hub?
Posted by: thatnovaguy - 04-16-2016, 09:35 PM - Forum: Accessories - Replies (3)

So I'm having a terrible time finding a way to add the PineA64 to my harmony hub device list. I wish to control it via bluetooth but have had no luck in connecting my hub to it. I did get my hub to pair with my A64 by adding a playstation 3 to my harmony devices and pairing when the hub was broadcasting. Unfortunately, however, the harmony remote did nada. I guess ps3 bluetooth commands don't translate as generic remote bluetooth commands.  Tongue Anywho, should anyone be able to shed some light on the subject and save me from my ignorance; any help would be appreciated.

Nothing but red light.
Posted by: fire219 - 04-16-2016, 06:06 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (29)

I got my 1GB Pine64 today, and was excited to finally try it.

Until I couldn't get it to boot.

After flashing the Debian image to a microSD card, I cannot get it to boot. Nothing but the red power light. I've tried two different TVs, different SD cards, different systems flashing the card, redownloading the image, flashing it several times (Win32DiskImager; this image does not need PhoenixCard), different power supplies, and different cables, and checking for network connectivity (no traffic found). 

I'm at my wit's end. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong, other than a DOA board?

Question creating bootable remixOS/android MicroSD on Mac OS X or linux?
Posted by: faddah - 04-16-2016, 02:50 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (3)

hi all,

i've gone over the wiki instructions for creating a bootble RemixOS/Android MicroSD drive.

it seems, from these instructions, the only way to create this release MicroSD is using the PhoenixCard software, and that software only works on the Windows platform, and i have no windows machine.

• is there any way to install the RemixOS/Android image without the Windows PhoenixCard software? Or is Windows with the Phoenix card the only way?
  • is there another, equivalent app that does the same thing in Mac OS X or any flaovr of Linux (those are the platforms i have)?
  • can it be done using Mac OS X/Linus 'dd' — i read ray hightower's quick start guide to pine64 with Mac OS X and attempted to try creating the RemixOS/Android image using those instructions with 'dd,' but the image i made on the MicroSD would not boot. is there another way to do this with 'dd' or some other app or command line utility?
please advise on this — thanks to all in advance.

best,

—  faddah
    portland, oregon, u.s.a.

>2GB RAM? SO-DIMM expansion?
Posted by: Redhatter - 04-15-2016, 06:54 PM - Forum: System Memory - Replies (3)

Hi all,

I recently stumbled on the PINE64, and so far it looks like a nice board.  I'm actually looking around for something that could replace my x86-based laptop for my workstation.  I'm doing more and more with ARM-based devices these days and less that is x86-specific.

I could just as easily use x86-based virtualisation on a server elsewhere for the x86-only workloads, and use an ARM-based desktop.  The PINE64 looks good for that.  For my needs, this will be a fixed workstation, so no need for Bluetooth or WiFi, but they don't hurt by being present.

The sticking point is RAM.  Now, the PINE64 has a 64-bit CPU in it, so theoretically can address more than 4GB RAM.  Some applications on my workstation currently like to eat RAM, Thunderbird regularly decides to eat about 4GB on its own.  I don't think limiting myself to 2GB is such a great idea.  I could try to fix the problem in Thunderbird, but if it's not that, it'll be something else that needs the RAM.

Therefore, are there any plans for either an 8GB model, or perhaps one with a SO-DIMM slot for upgradable RAM?

Video
Posted by: Rickyroller5 - 04-15-2016, 04:12 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (3)

Hey Y'all,

A very new noob here.
Does the video output type on the pine64 limit the kinds of video components usable?
  In other words, could I hook it up to an old tube-type Magnavox or Zenith television?

Thank you all.

Rickyroller5

Emulation in Linux
Posted by: remainder - 04-15-2016, 04:12 PM - Forum: Game Station Emulation - Replies (16)

Most of the talk so far has been on running emulators using Android or RemixOS, but has anyone else attempted it under Linux?

I am using the longsleep Arch Linux image, and have managed to set up retroarch and xboxdrv. I installed the SNES9x-next core, but I am only getting around 9 FPS using the gl driver, and around 13 FPS with the sdl one. I haven't yet attempted to recompile retroarch to add OpenGL ES support, which I assume is necessary for the Mali GPU driver.

It would be great to hear about other people's attempts and see if we can work together to get a RetroPie equivalent working on the Pine.

Is this flaw something to be concerned about?
Posted by: ape - 04-15-2016, 11:47 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (4)

My Pine64 512MB just arrived. Before even opening the anti-static bag I noticed all the extra solder seen in the attached photo. My hunch is that it's fine, but before I power this board up I thought I'd get a second opinion. What do people think?