Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,527
» Latest member: kirimayne
» Forum threads: 15,853
» Forum posts: 115,339

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Some Suspense.... Camerra...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
11 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 43
July 1 upgrade of Mobian ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: mburns
09-26-2024, 09:56 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 740
desktop and lockscreen
Last Post: biketool
09-25-2024, 05:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 65
No HDMI Video - Anything ...
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: angrymallard
09-25-2024, 04:58 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 41
2024 Sep 21 - PinePhonePr...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: biketool
09-25-2024, 04:16 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 2,331
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Last Post: zetabeta
09-25-2024, 12:41 AM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 6,646
Can't install some softwa...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: mikehenson
09-24-2024, 07:49 AM
» Views: 147
Testing Some More Games o...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: pigkang
09-24-2024, 01:43 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 3,441
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: dachalife
09-23-2024, 12:00 PM
» Views: 155
Developing on Mac (M3)
Forum: Development Discussion on PineTime
Last Post: oksalahti
09-23-2024, 01:27 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 85

USB to TTL Basics
Posted by: rahlquist - 05-04-2016, 10:21 AM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (8)

Hello,

Quite a few people have reported problems and been unable to determine if their Pine was functional or not. The easisest way to monitor your pine is with a USB to TTL serial adapter. There are many types of these for PC's on MAC I am unsure but if someone has knowledge in that are please post and we will try to get a Mod to sticky this. 

Things you will need. A PC. A terminal program able to access COM ports and a USB to TTL adapter for 3.3V. Cables and wires needed to hook it all up. 

Things to look for CH340 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232-TTL...Sw5IJWgmPc ) is what I am currently using. It has drivers from Windows XP through Windows 10 I believe. 

I have also in the past used a FTDI232RL ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232RL-3-3V-5-5...SwrklVMjIp ) which also has lots of drivers available. There a many adapters out there that only support XP through Windows 7 so pay attention to what others you buy. If unsure ask here and hopefully someone will know if it will work.

Connect your serial adapter of choice to your pc and get the drivers setup. When you are done you should be able to find the device in device manager and it will tell you what COM port it is associated with. 

Whatever solution you choose you need to make 3 connections to the pine. These are hooked up in this manner.
RX on FTDI/CH340 to pin 7 on EXP connector
TX on FTDI/CH340 to pin 8 on EXP connector
Gnd on FTDI/CH340 to pin 6 on EXP connector

I use Putty for a terminal program I set it to connect to COM4 and set the baud rate to 115200 and connect. 

Then power up the Pine, you should be watching text fly by. If you are troubleshooting after the boot stops read through the scrollback and find where it mentions errors, you can copy/paste them here or if you are grabbing more than say 20 lines use http://pastebin.com and post the link here along with your issue. 

A few pcitures. http://imgur.com/a/vKl6j

I am attaching a boot log to show you what the output is like.

Sorry if this is a bit rough but wanted to get it posted during my lunch hour. I am thick skinned and open to any comments, suggestions, additions, criticisms etc. So speak up.  As far as I am concerned we are always learning, there is nobody who knows it all in tech.

Attached Files
.txt   boot-pine-debian.txt (Size: 55.83 KB / Downloads: 598)

gigabit autonegotiate
Posted by: drewh - 05-04-2016, 10:13 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (2)

Slightly different gigabit issue, I have the 2gb A64+ and the ethernet connection always connects at 100,  even though the switch is a gb one and will auto negotiate, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Drew

Poe splitter works fine
Posted by: drewh - 05-04-2016, 09:57 AM - Forum: Accessories - Replies (9)

Hadn't seen anyone else post a success story on the POE splitter yet so I thought I would do so.  I have a Netgear POE switch and have successfully booted the pine64+ headless using the backer-kit offered splitter with the longsleep Ubuntu image.

Question Killed my Pine?
Posted by: Sailing_Nut - 05-04-2016, 09:00 AM - Forum: Pine A64 Hardware, Accessories and POT - Replies (6)

Hi all,

I've had my Pine booting with Debian (and once each with remix and android)

Last night I soldered on power and reset switches and I can't get it to boot at all, I just have the red power light.

Is there some way I can tell if I "let the magic smoke out" or if I'm just having issues writing my microSD card? (FYI, I burned a new card to boot after I did the soldering. so never tried with a known good card.)

TIA!

Answers to e-mails and PMs are non-existant?
Posted by: pineresearch - 05-04-2016, 08:36 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (16)

Hello.

I felt the need to ask you guys about this now.
I've asked very general questions in a mail to both tllim directly, and to the sales e-mail now. It had nothing to do with "when I'd recieve my pines".  But rather just some general questions that should be fairly straight ahead answering.
Now you'd think that they would get back to me in a matter of 72 hours, so I waited patiently, checking my mail every few hours. Now it's 6 days later. I've ordered, no less than: 16 pines. I went all in on their project. And they still don't respond to me.

So: I sent a followup PM to tllim, telling him that I was concerned with the lack of a reaction to my mails/PMs. According to tracking he has read this 1.5 days ago, and chose not to respond to that either.

So what I'm now pondering is: What is going wrong? My e-mails were rather optimistic, had no accusations of anything. They were written in an excited tone, asking some general questions about some of their FAQ answers and OS compatbility.

Ultimately this leaves me with a bitter taste in my mouth, as it just seems like such a fundamental thing for any business to respond to their customers -- especially when they're asking questions about the project, and not in any way being negative.

So now I ask tllim in a public fashion: What's the reason for the you and sales and support systematically not to respond to it's larger customers. I'm assuming this is happening to everyone (as I've seen complaints of this before).

-- pineresearcher

SSH for noobs on Debian
Posted by: robertnew - 05-04-2016, 08:23 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (12)

Hi all, 

I am having trouble connecting to my Pine via SSH. I am running Debian. I have attempted to follow these steps but keep getting password denied. https://wiki.debian.org/SSH 

Is someone either able to explain or point me in the right direction to steps on how to connect?

Thanks in advance!

help burning the IMG file
Posted by: Moshe.Vazan - 05-04-2016, 12:00 AM - Forum: Remix OS - Replies (5)

Hi,

I have both Phoenix and Win32 Disk Imager with a 32Gb SanDisk MicroSD card and I'm unable to mount it.

the Phoenix return "script not found error" and the Win32 Disk Imager shows that I don't have enough disk space - I have downloaded the "remix-v2.0-20160415-pine64-32GB.img" file and after extracting it, the size is 30.98Gb while my SDcard after format shows only 28.9Gb of free space...

what should I do? 

I have also tried to mount the 8gb version on the 32gb SDcard and still nothing happens...

please let me know what should I do...

Change username, please!
Posted by: Dygaer - 05-03-2016, 11:42 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (2)

I miss typed my username when I first registered for the site ... yeah ... I know.

Can an admin please change my username too Dygear?

Question DOA pin64 2GB - what now?
Posted by: bongo - 05-03-2016, 11:23 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (8)

i got my 2gb pine64 yesterday.

- i first tried to install android (latest rooted version) but all i got was the red led. btw: i created the flashcard using the "usb image tool", as phoenix did not accept this image.
- next try i gave to the android phoenix card image, which i burnt using the phoenix tool. creating the flashcard succeeded on the 2nd try. again the same effect. only the red led.
- 3rd try i was using debian jessie. again the same. nothing but the red led ;-(

i did this test using a kingston 16gb micro sd, which was tested to be fine and has successfully been used with a raspi before.
i tried two power supplies which both are rated 2A and have been used with a raspi.

all i have connected to the pine64 is the hdmi monitor.

i measured the current, drawn from the power supply. after turning on, it's at about 400mA, going down to in between 250mA and 300mA after some time.

what else can i do?

looks like i got a dead one ;-(

OctoPrint on Pine64
Posted by: Spaz - 05-03-2016, 09:10 PM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (3)

I got my Pine64 setup using the latest Debian and setup OctoPrint. While the software appears to be working the serial USB (/dev/ttyACM0) doesn't seem to exist so I can't connect to my printer. Has anyone gotten OctoPrint to work using the distros Pine64 has provided?