Pinebook Pro structural integerity failing
Well, the Pine64 people are learning. As has been said, the newer ones, (though it's unclear if it's ANSI only, or both ANSI & ISO), have a better plastic.
I've added a comment in the Wiki Troubleshooting on this issue. It's not very helpful, in the sense their is little to do, except replace. But, replacements are now available. And if someone wants to expand the Wiki section on this issue to include work arounds, repairs or outright re-enforcement, feel free.

Here is the section:

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Cracks in the plastic

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).

From what people have said, it made be possible to improve the structural integrity of the chassis using something like epoxy resin. I've ordered an ANSI keyboard replacement for my ISO model. Whence that arrives I may perform re-enforcement before I install it.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(05-25-2020, 11:42 AM)Arwen Wrote: Well, the Pine64 people are learning. As has been said, the newer ones, (though it's unclear if it's ANSI only, or both ANSI & ISO), have a better plastic.
I've added a comment in the Wiki Troubleshooting on this issue. It's not very helpful, in the sense their is little to do, except replace. But, replacements are now available. And if someone wants to expand the Wiki section on this issue to include work arounds, repairs or outright re-enforcement, feel free.

Here is the section:

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Cracks in the plastic

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).

From what people have said, it made be possible to improve the structural integrity of the chassis using something like epoxy resin. I've ordered an ANSI keyboard replacement for my ISO model. Whence that arrives I may perform re-enforcement before I install it.
That's useful to know! Please post a guide to any reinforcement you do and link to it here-any advice helps.
(05-25-2020, 04:52 AM).TDC_PBP Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 03:07 AM)vfr400racer Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 12:27 AM)hdk Wrote: My PBP broke again; the hinges came completely off. The palmrest is of extremely inferior quality.
The little plastic that holds the connection from screen to motherboard broke in 4 little peaces.
Support @ pine can or will not help in any way.

Disappointed adieu.

I bought a new one from the pine store. The recent ones are made of another plastic than the original ones. And they are only ~20USD.
Yes, but with shipping to the US they cost more like $32   Sad . While I am waiting for my replacement part, I have tried to glue my Pinebook Pro's crack near the hinge multiple times (the crack is on the upper left hand side of the keyboard) with regular Loctite, but it seems that it isn't strong enough, as it has cracked multiple times. I have bought Loctite's Plastics Bonding System from Amazon, and when I get it I plan on applying the glue on both the top and bottom of the crack and hoping for the best. This whole plastics thing is ridiculous!
I would suggest to modify the hinges, too. At least that is what I did. They are so hard to operate and put much stress on the tiny nuts and their fragile seatings.
(05-25-2020, 01:06 PM)vfr400racer Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 04:52 AM).TDC_PBP Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 03:07 AM)vfr400racer Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 12:27 AM)hdk Wrote: My PBP broke again; the hinges came completely off. The palmrest is of extremely inferior quality.
The little plastic that holds the connection from screen to motherboard broke in 4 little peaces.
Support @ pine can or will not help in any way.

Disappointed adieu.

I bought a new one from the pine store. The recent ones are made of another plastic than the original ones. And they are only ~20USD.
Yes, but with shipping to the US they cost more like $32   Sad . While I am waiting for my replacement part, I have tried to glue my Pinebook Pro's crack near the hinge multiple times (the crack is on the upper left hand side of the keyboard) with regular Loctite, but it seems that it isn't strong enough, as it has cracked multiple times. I have bought Loctite's Plastics Bonding System from Amazon, and when I get it I plan on applying the glue on both the top and bottom of the crack and hoping for the best. This whole plastics thing is ridiculous!
I would suggest to modify the hinges, too. At least that is what I did. They are so hard to operate and put much stress on the tiny nuts and their fragile seatings.
Amen to that! Make sure to post back in the forum if your modification works!
My new palmrest came in today. I think it's better then the original.
I was ready for it: fixed the hinges, can now lift the screen with my pink.
The only hard part was the trackpad, had to use some force.
PBP out of the coma alive and kicking.

I'm in love again.
Will tell you my experiences in two weeks
(06-15-2020, 01:56 PM)hdk Wrote: My new palmrest came in today. I think it's better then the original.

I'm in love again.
What modifications did you make to your PBP's hinges?
(06-16-2020, 06:50 AM)TDC_PBP Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 01:56 PM)hdk Wrote: My new palmrest came in today. I think it's better then the original.

I'm in love again.
Be patient, take your time 
take the hinges off the screen, wrenching
make the hinges slowly wider, with a screwdriver 0,8 mm you can get in between the joint
(06-16-2020, 07:02 AM)hdk Wrote:

I'm in love again.
make the hinges slowly wider, with a screwdriver 0,8 mm you can get in between the joint
Ok, so I need to remove the hinges and then widen the hinges with a .8 mm screwdriver shaft-is that right?
(06-17-2020, 12:04 PM)TDC_PBP Wrote:

I'm in love again.
Ok, so I need to remove the hinges and then widen the hinges with a .8 mm screwdriver shaft-is that right?
that's right
(06-17-2020, 11:35 PM)hdk Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 12:04 PM)TDC_PBP Wrote:

I'm in love again.
that's right
Ok, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 243 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 220 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 202 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 141 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 524 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 580 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 2 1,756 01-11-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: winecork
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,134 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,943 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 58,784 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt