Screen Resolution
I think one of the main problems with all the distributions I have seen so far is screen resolution. Many dialogue boxes and other screens are just too big to be displayed and operated properly.

If we want to run standard Linux applications, then it seems imperative that we first try to do so in a standard screen size, rather than trying to adapt each singe application to a smaller space such as a phone display.

The Pinephone is very well capable of displaying a higher resolution than what we have seen so far. Look at the boot up messages in Maemo Leste or Debian Phosh. The displayed messages are tiny but still shown very clearly.

As a sort of "proof of concept", I was able to install Gnome over Postmarket OS Phosh (Gnome needs to be started in Terminal here) and ended up with an almost computer-like screen layout and ample space for the keyboard at the bottom in portrait mode. Surpirisingly, this was rather responsive and accurate to touch-operate. Please see my thread here:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9309

There also seemed to be a way to move a cursor over an area to be tapped and then tap the screen anywhere to emulate a mouse click. It would perhaps even be possible to have a loupe-style magnification, if necessary.

To me, the reason seems to be that my installation somehow used the Mali400 graphics driver that is specific to the Pinephone's graphic chip. It was explained to me that Mali400 is non-free and therefore should not be used and in any case the physical screen resolution should have nothing to do with Gnome scaling.

But on the other hand, I have not seen any other high resolution distro yet.

How can we get something like this, please:

.png   OpenTTDsm.png (Size: 453.57 KB / Downloads: 432)

(Screenshot resolution reduced, due to upload limitations. In the original, you can read everything very clearly.)
There's a couple ways to get scaling to (sort of) work on debphosh - see here and then here for more info.
A workaround for phosh on pmOS can be found here:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...3#pid63583

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to disable lock screen in Phosh? lat 14 14,149 03-31-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  What is the best firmware to use an external screen with? Scary Guy 4 3,174 02-16-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Avisando
  Brand new phone, screen flickers than locks Marekx3 3 3,398 06-11-2021, 11:40 AM
Last Post: plaristote
  Trying to port an app on Plasma Mobile and Mobian: black screen Goffi 2 3,094 02-05-2021, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Goffi
  restart phosh on screen unlock? moodroid 0 1,674 12-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Last Post: moodroid
  Screen timeout setting in Plasma? bitnick 0 1,829 11-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Last Post: bitnick
  info on touch screen APIs? Rich_Morin 0 1,628 08-27-2020, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Rich_Morin
  Solutions to blank screen on boot. Cree 1 3,182 07-25-2020, 12:11 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Touch Screen not working mjoconr 1 2,841 05-09-2020, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Subsentient