How to disable lock screen in Phosh?
I'd like to completely disable the lock screen in Phosh - I strongly prefer not having to type in my password to start using the phone.  I'd expect to have this option in user settings, but it's not there (yet?).  What would be a proper way to disable lock screen?

The only idea (and probably not a good one) that came to my mind is to create a passwordless user.  I've attempted to do it and failed.  I copied the sha512 hash of the empty password into /etc/shadow.  It didn't work as evidenced by my inability to ssh into PinePhone from computer using empty password.  I tried it on different distros, and in the case of Mobian my attempts even rendered the install unrecoverable (I wonder why), even after restoring the original /etc/shadow that I had backed up previously.

Thanks for any input on this issue!
I too wish there was a way to excise this, to me, useless functionality. It really does slow down my access with no benefit.

I have mused a couple of times here with no progress, and spent long times with Prof Duck and trying to find something on the Purism forums with no success yet.

I suspect the only option is a feature request to Purism. IMHO the logical place for a switch, after settings, would be /usr/share/phosh/phoc.ini but that has no clues.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(12-20-2020, 02:11 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: I suspect the only option is a feature request to Purism.

I've created an issue upstream.  Hopefully Purism will impement this feature.

Apparently they already have this in the pipeline.
The issue is that Phosh currently does not honor this setting:
Code:
org.gnome.desktop.screensaver 'lock-enabled' gsetting
Erm... if it's in the pipeline, it must be tiny because it's the end of May and phosh is *still* not paying any attention to the gsettings commands. Sad

eg as in this thread

first command gets status. If set to false, change to true:

Code:
$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.lockdown disable-lock-screen
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.lockdown disable-lock-screen true

If anybody knows any kludge to KO that lock screen, I'd be very grateful! It's an intense pain.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(05-27-2021, 01:59 AM)quixote Wrote: Erm... if it's in the pipeline, it must be tiny because it's the end of May and phosh is *still* not paying any attention to the gsettings commands. Sad

eg as in this thread

first command gets status. If set to false, change to true:

Code:
$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.lockdown disable-lock-screen
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.lockdown disable-lock-screen true

If anybody knows any kludge to KO that lock screen, I'd be very grateful! It's an intense pain.

It's "in the pipeline" in the sense that it's a known issue, but it's not actively being worked on. According to this, the setting you're trying is currently not being taken into account by phosh. Here's a similar report about disabling not the whole lockscreen but the PIN, which I imagine is more like what you'd be interested in.
I think there are two issues here: Locking the screen, and forcing a password. I recently ran an update to Mobian that give me the option, in settings, to disable automatic screen lock. I also ran the above gsetting.

However, the screen still locks when you turn off the display via power button. I think I would be OK with the screen locking if it didn't also prompt me for a password to log back in. Is there a way to disable just this?
I second that! One of the few uses of my cell phone is to play a cd's worth of music on headphones as I go for a walk. There is nothing more annoying than suspend mode coming up every couple of minutes and turning off my music. This was happening with plasma-mobile as well. Is there any way to prevent this behaviour with an 'inhibit suspend mode' type of command. Thanks.
There have been some updates since these questions, but still no solution I can see for do away with the PIN requirement. You're right, marcih, that what I'm really looking for is a no-PIN system, not a no-lock-screen system.

Sounds like there's quite a few of us. I wish the phosh devs would make the gui pay attention to the gsettings disable-lock-screen setting! It does nothing on my phone Sad
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
It looks like this has been [fixed](https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/pho...1667d6314a), and is waiting for [a merge](https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/pho...quests/747) into the codebase. So keep an eye on those threads.
I'd like this feature as well, I was a little disappointed when I found that the org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled gsetting didn't work. I'll often lie in bed and watch TV and rather often look at my phone, my options right now are either leave the screen always on and drain the battery or constantly having to re-enter my password when the screen powers off. It's not a big deal but it's a small quality of life improvement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Mobian with X11 without Wayland and Phosh. Manieck71 0 953 09-09-2023, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Manieck71
  Proximity lock on Plasma Mobile alpineduck 0 998 08-14-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: alpineduck
  Fedora + Phosh for PinePhone njha 74 130,990 12-12-2022, 10:19 PM
Last Post: wcdeich4@hotmail.com
  Enable 'upcoming-events' on Mobian/Phosh Korac 3 2,237 09-14-2022, 01:19 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Advise: ENABLE animations before updating phosh! Otherwise freezes and crashes! dante404 5 3,238 08-18-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: dante404
  Phosh message notifications issue itstoughtofocus 2 2,700 08-15-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: nemsys
  What is the best firmware to use an external screen with? Scary Guy 4 3,201 02-16-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Avisando
  Building an image with phosh liara 1 1,796 02-01-2022, 08:26 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  More useful terminal key layout for phosh's squeekboard Boern 21 27,272 01-15-2022, 02:35 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Phosh: Idles to Lockscreen Without Powering Off Display Merc 1 1,951 11-01-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: e1337