What is the best firmware to use an external screen with?
I'm kind of lost here when it comes to this.  Also I want to use Barrier KVM with it (a clone of Synergy that is FOSS) but as I understand it, with the way Wayland handles security it can't work properly, yet.

I have seen GitHub - rkvm: Virtual KVM switch for Linux machines  but from what I've read it's hard to get it working properly.  I'd be open to that as a solution though and will probably test it out.

I've just had a hard time getting an external screen to work in general though, so I was hoping for recommendations for both Wayland and Xorg.

Thanks.
So I've settled on PostmarketOS. Switched to that as a daily driver and jumped in with both feet.

Running into a few issues though as I like to use the phone landscape. Using a second screen the phone places itself to the left of the screen. The problem is that the screen seems to overlay itself on the right half of the phone, disabling touch input on that side. This can be fixed with a mouse and/or opening the settings app (if it's on the half you can touch) and messing with it until you can get to the display section and move the phone to a better position (I place mine under the screen.) Obviously disconnecting the dock fixes it as well. However this only keeps until you reboot or if you reconnect the dock.

Another thing is the mouse has a hard time showing up on the phone but shows up fine on the external monitor, which seems like an issue. It would also be cool if the mouse cursor adjusted size relative to the monitor it is on (it's really small on the phone despite me picking the larger one which makes it comically large on the external display.)

Yet another issue I have run into is sometimes the display on the phone stops interacting with touch completely when connected to the dock. If the screen is locked there is no way to unlock it without forcibly rebooting the phone. This is unrelated to the previous touch issue.
(02-11-2022, 10:35 PM)Scary Guy Wrote: So I've settled on PostmarketOS.  Switched to that as a daily driver and jumped in with both feet.

Running into a few issues though as I like to use the phone landscape.  Using a second screen the phone places itself to the left of the screen.  The problem is that the screen seems to overlay itself on the right half of the phone, disabling touch input on that side.  This can be fixed with a mouse and/or opening the settings app (if it's on the half you can touch) and messing with it until you can get to the display section and move the phone to a better position (I place mine under the screen.) Obviously disconnecting the dock fixes it as well.  However this only keeps until you reboot or if you reconnect the dock.

Another thing is the mouse has a hard time showing up on the phone but shows up fine on the external monitor, which seems like an issue.  It would also be cool if the mouse cursor adjusted size relative to the monitor it is on (it's really small on the phone despite me picking the larger one which makes it comically large on the external display.)

Yet another issue I have run into is sometimes the display on the phone stops interacting with touch completely when connected to the dock.  If the screen is locked there is no way to unlock it without forcibly rebooting the phone.  This is unrelated to the previous touch issue.

Hello,
I recommend you to use Manjaro Phosh because it is the distribution with the most stable "Desktop Mode" (for now).

Link to download Manjaro Phosh: https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/phosh/releases

I also advise you to configure Manjaro as I show in this video: https://youtu.be/5EK7Ua2efbE?t=19
IDK, I like the security of Alpine, and I don't see too much difference between the two on the surface. Also I'm not a fan of SystemD bloat in general.

https://manjarno.snorlax.sh <-- this guy seems fairly angry.

I still appreciate the advice and the video was quite nice. I'm just fairly picky is all. Maybe Arch proper would be okay, but for now pmOS is working fine for me other than a few minor issues which I'm sure will be addressed soon.
(02-16-2022, 01:10 PM)Scary Guy Wrote: IDK, I like the security of Alpine, and I don't see too much difference between the two on the surface.  Also I'm not a fan of SystemD bloat in general.

https://manjarno.snorlax.sh <-- this guy seems fairly angry.

I still appreciate the advice and the video was quite nice.  I'm just fairly picky is all.  Maybe Arch proper would be okay, but for now pmOS is working fine for me other than a few minor issues which I'm sure will be addressed soon.

Okay Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  External SD card not listed by Pcmanfm? Peter Gamma 1 1,416 08-22-2023, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  How to disable lock screen in Phosh? lat 14 13,847 03-31-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,479 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 125,944 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Quick and easy bootloader option for JumpDrive on external SD card? Peter Gamma 5 2,598 05-02-2022, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Problem Flashing the modem Firmware loreson 0 1,114 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: loreson
  Beta Convergence edition external display? Ferenc 3 2,241 07-28-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Ferenc
  Brand new phone, screen flickers than locks Marekx3 3 3,331 06-11-2021, 11:40 AM
Last Post: plaristote
  Trying to port an app on Plasma Mobile and Mobian: black screen Goffi 2 3,031 02-05-2021, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Goffi
  restart phosh on screen unlock? moodroid 0 1,647 12-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Last Post: moodroid