PureOS on Pinephone
I have updated the wiki to include PureOS. This is a user (mozzwald) implemented "port" of PureOS that I find rather interesting - a lot of the Settings screens for instance scale better to the PinePhone than e.g. Phosh on postmarketOS. Automatic screen brightness works but is somewhat disconcerting as it has rapid updates so makes the screen almost flash.

Anyway, I am off to play more.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(03-05-2020, 04:05 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: I have updated the wiki to include PureOS. This is a user (mozzwald) implemented "port" of PureOS that I find rather interesting - a lot of the Settings screens for instance scale better to the PinePhone than e.g. Phosh on postmarketOS. Automatic screen brightness works but is somewhat disconcerting as it has rapid updates so makes the screen almost flash.

Anyway, I am off to play more.

gonna have a look, yes it is slick and fast wow
I've been using this for the last three days. Having the phone actually ring when you get a call is a big plus! Firefox works really nicely when you apply the postmarket tweaks too, but it would be good to have the latest version rather than firefox-esr which debian is stuck with. Only real drawback so far is that it keeps trying to update the pmos 5.5 kernel/initramfs to the purism 5.3 one.

Edit just as a reminder to myself and anyone else interested, besides having to add MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 to the /usr/share/applications/firefox-esr.desktop file you also need the --no-remote parameter.
(03-05-2020, 05:13 PM)pjsf Wrote: Firefox works really nicely when you apply the postmarket tweaks too, but it would be good to have the latest version rather than firefox-esr which debian is stuck with.

Maybe this will help?:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/12/ho...n-esr.html
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
So far finding default Web application OK - no doubt will add firefox if I stick here longer term!

Notes:
1) chats connects to blabber account fine Wink  - still to verify if messages are flowing though. But 1 step better than phosh on pmOS.

2) Connected to my Google online account. (Which also gave a first class lesson on why I want a PinePhone and hate FAANGs: by the time I got to contacts and selected Local Address Book, it had already slurped a whole bunch of obsolete contacts from Google. Some of which belong to my brother, some of which belong to a friend. Both of whom have various access privileges to my Drive and Calendar - how their contacts landed on my PinePhone is of privacy concern but nothing will surprise me about the FAANGs!)

3) no ssh installed - had to

Code:
sudo apt install openssh-server
sudo systemctl enable ssh
Need to check if I can get it running through the USB - I really like that functionality on postmarketOS as it means I don't need WiFi in my house.

4) Not convinced I have any voice call functions - SMS work fine.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
PureOS is working nicely here, aside from tweaking the underlying system too hard (which is my own fault).
I'll be curious to see how Debian/phosh develops as this should in theory be similar.
Just brewed my own as per mozzwald instructions but using 20200228 pmOS image and 2020-03-05 PureOS image (his pre-built image used 20200218 and 2020-02-25 respectively).

This is getting close to my daily driver - <40s boot (from Evo+ SDcard), minimal memory use (395M - but more than pmOS which is around 285M), feels real snappy.
  • Calls work including ring on incoming
  • SMS work
  • Blabber/chat works (at least unencrypted, need to test OMEMO again)
  • Web browser quick and smooth
Time to play some more Big Grin
https://easyupload.io/69sruk <<<< latest image built with pmbootstrap then the latest PureOS image (from today) modded to work on pinephone thanks to mozzwalds instructions, the only thing i couldnt do was enable the modem before first boot so you have to do sudo systemctl enable pinephone.service in the terminal when its done bootin. youtube videos playing is broken in todays image of PureOS, you hit play and it redirects to the rtmp stream and errors (wasn't on the image from the 5th) but vimeo works.
https://droppy.ironrobin.net/#/Images/PureOS

New updates are always coming out and working with mozzwald and shinkamui on S2Idle which is very close to being implemented!

initramfs issue seems to be sorted.

Also I've posted this elsewhere but if it suits your fancy here is my hack for SMS alerts on pureOS (led + sound)
https://github.com/pine-clover/text-ding/

here is a video showcasing the above project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEOI9NP4so
Can I also use apt upgrade / update to get the latest version ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 30 22,836 Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 217 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,099 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,672 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,638 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,289 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,454 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 777 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,773 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,062 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega