Keyboard, Trackpad, and USB unresponsive on ANSI PBP
Hello! I seem to have possibly messed up my ANSI layout PBP but I'm not sure what I might have done or what the problem is exactly.

I was booting from a microSD of the Manjaro ARM KDE 19.12 eMMC Installer image found here https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...sma/19.12/ and all seemed to be going well. I selected the eMMC device and it ran through the xz decrypt and flashed the eMMC steps fun but then it said press any key to continue and when I pressed a key nothing happened.

I have tried booting from other images on the microSD and this problem now seems systemwide. The keyboard and trackpad simply do not work anymore. Furthermore, a mouse and keyboard that I have confirmed are working on other devices simply get no power from the PBP anymore. I've also removed the battery and powered on from mains and the problem persists.

This is puzzling to me because the power button (which seems to be part of the nonworking keyboard) still works fine and the computer itself has no problem booting from either eMMC or from microSD.

I'd really like to be able to fix this, but I don't have the knowledge to diagnose the issue.
Have you tried USB keyboard/mouse?
(01-23-2020, 02:59 AM)mamboman777 Wrote: Have you tried USB keyboard/mouse?

Yes, I tried a USB keyboard and mouse that I know are working but neither of them seemed to receive power.
The first step is to determine rather it's an issue with the software or hardware on the PBP.  I'd flash a Micro SD card with another OS on another computer and boot to that.  See if you have the same issue or not.  If everything works normally it's a software issue with the other OS.  If not, there may be a hardware issue.

Assuming the other OS on the micro SD is fine (which I would expect it is) I'd assume something went wrong with the manjaro install and start over there.
(01-23-2020, 09:49 AM)captainstormy Wrote: The first step is to determine rather it's an issue with the software or hardware on the PBP.  I'd flash a Micro SD card with another OS on another computer and boot to that.  See if you have the same issue or not.  If everything works normally it's a software issue with the other OS.  If not, there may be a hardware issue.

Assuming the other OS on the micro SD is fine (which I would expect it is) I'd assume something went wrong with the manjaro install and start over there.

If you have already tried other distributions on the sd card and are getting booting,  but no usb,  (the keyboard and trackpad are usb devices, actually) it may indeed be hardware. 
Can you ssh into the device?  (the wifi adapter is unfortunately also a usb device,  but you could also use an external ethernet adapter to make a wired connection,  should it not be working.) You should should be able to look at dmesg to see if you can see usb problems,  or run lsusb,    Do you have a serial cable?  If so,  you could attempt to watch the machine u-boot messages. 

with no external usb devices, running on Manjaro, I see this from lsusb:

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c45:6321 Microdia
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 258a:001e HAILUCK CO.,LTD USB KEYBOARD
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I am not able to SSH into the device as i cannot make it past the login screen and the machine does not connect to my WiFi network. I don't know how I would make an ethernet connection to the device since there is no ethernet port and the USB ports are currently not working.

I have put the pine64 debian image on the microSD card and the device has the same issues. Additionally, I hooked up a USB hub which has a light on it to see if the ports were getting power and none of the USB ports seemed to be providing power. I was able to test the USB2, USB3, and USB Type-C ports this way. Because of these factors I'm going to assume that the issue is with the hardware. Would there be any reason or component that could have gone bad which might lead to none of my USB devices getting power, but the rest of the computer seems to be fine?
I've had some time to inspect it a little bit more. I'm used to troubleshooting issues with ~40-year old computers but I'm not very savvy with modern equipment.

I decided to test the voltages on the GL850G (Genesys USB2.0 Hub) chip based on the datasheet i found here https://www.kean.com.au/oshw/WR703N/GL85...201.07.pdf and found that both pin 23 (V5) and pin 24 (V3) are at 3.3V. I don't know if that's how it is supposed to be or not for this chip as I expected pin 23 to be outputting 5V but I could very well just be misunderstanding the datasheet. Testing all the USB ports though shows that none of them are receiving any power whatsoever. This makes me think that there might be some component on the board  that has failed that may be power related and not USB related.

A step I have thought about trying next is building a frankenstein cable to draw power from a separate device's USB port and plugging into the PBP to see if it works with external power. I don't know if that could cause any issues or not.

Does anybody know what other components I could test? I've had a look at the PBP mainboard schematic but it's far above my skill level to use for troubleshooting purposes unfortunately.
(01-26-2020, 12:15 PM)SpankyWorks Wrote: I've had some time to inspect it a little bit more. I'm used to troubleshooting issues with ~40-year old computers but I'm not very savvy with modern equipment.

I decided to test the voltages on the GL850G (Genesys USB2.0 Hub) chip based on the datasheet i found here https://www.kean.com.au/oshw/WR703N/GL85...201.07.pdf and found that both pin 23 (V5) and pin 24 (V3) are at 3.3V. I don't know if that's how it is supposed to be or not for this chip as I expected pin 23 to be outputting 5V but I could very well just be misunderstanding the datasheet. Testing all the USB ports though shows that none of them are receiving any power whatsoever. This makes me think that there might be some component on the board  that has failed that may be power related and not USB related.

A step I have thought about trying next is building a frankenstein cable to draw power from a separate device's USB port and plugging into the PBP to see if it works with external power. I don't know if that could cause any issues or not.

Does anybody know what other components I could test? I've had a look at the PBP mainboard schematic but it's far above my skill level to use for troubleshooting purposes unfortunately.
If you don't have a serial cable,  (which would allow you to see u-boot messages which would give some insight into what is happening),  the one thing I would suggest before contacting support is to remove the emmc and throw the emmc switch  so that you are positive you are not
booting from it.  If the same problem occurs,. I think you really need to contact support.  (Sorry that I forgot that USB would need to work to use wired ethernet...)      I think its strange that none of the USB ports are working,  since they are on different hubs,  and seem to be using different regulators, etc.   Things llike that can be caused by software problems, though.  That is why I am wondering about the emmc.
Good news, I got the USB ports working. However, I have no idea how I did it. I was testing the voltages on some other components I identified and forgot to power down the PBP board before I left to run some errands. When I came back, the light of the USB hub I had been using as a test device was on.

Naturally, I'm thrilled that my device is working again. I am a little bit frustrated though that I have no idea what the issue was. I hadn't done anything more than touch a bunch of components with my multimeter.

So, if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future because they're having the same problem. I'm sorry to say that I can't really help diagnose the problem, but perhaps just try leaving it powered from mains for a few hours?
Hmmm .....?
Could the battery have run down, then sitting for sometime it was recharged .?
I always try the simplest answers first.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 276 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Dead Pinebook Pro Keyboard Keys calinb 2 1,034 09-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: calinb
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 827 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  Pinebook Pro ANSI for Sale crazychaz 2 1,450 12-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: crazychaz
  ISO keyboard Pinebook pro for sale tgrauss 3 3,588 11-01-2022, 04:45 AM
Last Post: tgrauss
Rainbow US Ansi Pinebook Pro for Sale loblolly 2 1,559 10-17-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: letharicker
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,926 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,269 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
  WTB Pinebook Pro ANSI/ISO kreyren 0 707 08-21-2022, 01:41 AM
Last Post: kreyren
Star Pinebook Pro US ANSI for SALE 1Elster47 1 1,143 08-21-2022, 01:19 AM
Last Post: kreyren