An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
This is awesome and so far working great with LUKS!  Thank you!
(01-21-2020, 10:12 PM)sharp Wrote: I made a small script to install Bluetooth and brightness key tweaks over top a fresh Debian install. Hopefully I can add more as fixes for other things which are not suitable for the installer become available.

https://gitlab.com/sharph/pinebook-pro-d...all-script

Looks like the script is capturing some useful knowledge. However I should be clear that I don't view anything currently in your script as unsuitable for inclusion in the installer. Quite the opposite! I'd really like to encourage pull requests to introduce them.

Actually since I'm actively encouraging contributions via pull requests I'd also mention that I have recently added a simple CREDITS.md, don't be shy about updating it if you make any contributions.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(01-22-2020, 02:53 AM)danielt Wrote: Looks like the script is capturing some useful knowledge. However I should be clear that I don't view anything currently in your script as unsuitable for inclusion in the installer. Quite the opposite! I'd really like to encourage pull requests to introduce them.

Actually since I'm actively encouraging contributions via pull requests I'd also mention that I have recently added a simple CREDITS.md, don't be shy about updating it if you make any contributions.

Oh awesome! I'll try to build those tweaks into your installer later today.
So... when I try to run the installer I get:

Code:
# ./install-debian

>>>> Preparing to install

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

So... apparently going to github and doing the "download zip" thing is the wrong way to get this.  If this is as it should be, it would be a good idea to update the instructions to mention so.
you need to checkout with git due to submodules in the installer
I just ran an apt upgrade on my Debian with armhf userspace, and it wants to update initramfs after updating cryptsetup-bin and cryptsetup-initramfs.
This hangs, without completing.
From /var/log/apt/history..log :

Setting up initramfs-tools (0.136) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.2-2-pinebookpro-arm64

I have to kill this and clear the dpkg lockfiles, but a 'dpkg --configure -a' continues hanging at the same point. Yes, there's plenty of free space on /boot, and it's mounted rw.

Could this be because it's mixing armhf binaries with a arm64 kernel? Seems unlikely - but your own original is all arm64-native, so I wonder...

Are there suggested fixes, if I need a 64-bit cryptsetup-initramfs?
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
Installing firefox-esr as arhmf works, but when trying to watch Youtube videos it immediately crashes. Sad
(01-24-2020, 04:48 PM)jpakkane Wrote: Installing firefox-esr as arhmf works, but when trying to watch Youtube videos it immediately crashes. Sad

I have been told that installing firefox from unstable fixes many crashes, but I don't know about this one in particular.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
Further testing revealed that is also crashes when listening to a podcast. Seems to be audio related.
First, thanks for the installer script - works beautifully, even if more customization would be desired (but then I'm still a noob when it comes to ARM-based systems).

Second, I have a problem I haven't yet found solution to - with Debian Sid I keep getting crashes in rockchip_dri.so. I assume that's Mesa bug? Or maybe I'm missing some extra package, maybe some other firmware besides firmware-misc-nonfree?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,268 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,774 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,226 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,319 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 89,776 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,315 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 4,143 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,613 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,467 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,537 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock