An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
interesting...

I refer to: https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList for any of these types of questions.
Really cool to see people making interesting mods for the installer. As far as I am concerned that's what it is there for (i.e. why I didn't just release an SD card image).

To be honest I was very on-the-fence about buster verus bullseye but eventually opted for bullseye to allow people to experiment with panfrost. However if I want to workaround something that makes panfrost unstable I tend to add modprobe.blacklist=panfrost to the kernel command line. I'd also note that software acceleration isn't nearly as bad as you might think... when I first got it working I didn't get the panfrost config right and it fell back to s/ware... it took me a week to notice ;-) ,

Anyhow as ever pull requests for DISTRO=buster/bullseye/sid support are both welcome and encouraged.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(01-30-2020, 07:40 AM)danielt Wrote: Really cool to see people making interesting mods for the installer. As far as I am concerned that's what it is there for (i.e. why I didn't just release an SD card image).

To be honest I was very on-the-fence about buster verus bullseye but eventually opted for bullseye to allow people to experiment with panfrost. However if I want to workaround something that makes panfrost unstable I tend to add modprobe.blacklist=panfrost to the kernel command line. I'd also note that software acceleration isn't nearly as bad as you might think... when I first got it working I didn't get the panfrost config right and it fell back to s/ware... it took me a week to notice ;-) ,

Anyhow as ever pull requests for DISTRO=buster/bullseye/sid support are both welcome and encouraged.

With regards hw acceleration, I believe it would be nice a guide/howto on how to check if hardware acceleration is enabled in Debian and how to enable it if it is not.

Also I've seen a tendency on compiling mesa from git which makes me worry about the updates and such. Wouldn't be better to use sid/experimental packages instead? Or even better, create a debian package with the mesa git repo?
I can't seem to find the thread around here I've seen about double and triple finger taps not detecting reliably, with someone recommending to increase the distance between the fingers. Well, looks like it doesn't have anything to do with the finger distance, but instead with the default settings for tap detection max time - looks like by default it is configured to 180ms, and increasing it to 250ms made double and triple finger tap detection pretty much almost 100% reliable.

P.S.: has anybody braved the linux-image-5.5.0-rc5-arm64 kernel from Debian Experimental?
(01-30-2020, 08:00 AM)e-minguez Wrote: With regards hw acceleration, I believe it would be nice a guide/howto on how to check if hardware acceleration is enabled in Debian and how to enable it if it is not.

Also I've seen a tendency on compiling mesa from git which makes me worry about the updates and such. Wouldn't be better to use sid/experimental packages instead? Or even better, create a debian package with the mesa git repo?

Checking which renderer is in use is as simple as: glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL renderer' (this works even when you are running under wayland since the embedded X server for legacy apps will still pick up the right strings).
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
there are now mesa-git packages in debian experimental, which you could install via apt pinning. however if you aren't on unstable already this will probably break more things then fix.

security issues can be resolved by... rerunning the mesa-git script. with ccache this takes just a few minutes...

usage will just boil down to how comfortable you are with git-based /usr/local installs.

I will post kernel install scripts shortly. 5.5-rc7+panfrost-fixes is working nicely!

no kernel in debian proper will work correctly until tsys' patches are merged upstream.
This continues to be a rewarding and interesting thread. @danielt thanks for your helpful and enlightened senior participation. It's just the right balance of enablement and cautions that go a long way, in fostering a community such as this.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
've observed some issues with my FDE system when there are times that the boot hangs waiting for the device (see attached). To fix it I just cycle power it off and on a few times until it works. Am I the only one? It can be a hardware issue?

https://pasteboard.co/ISow5Qc.jpg
(01-30-2020, 07:40 AM)danielt Wrote: Really cool to see people making interesting mods for the installer. As far as I am concerned that's what it is there for (i.e. why I didn't just release an SD card image).

Thanks very much, Danielt for your installer, support of the community and sharing your insights and experiences.  Its great to have Debian options and to keep moving the PBP project along .  Much appreciated!
Memory filesystem

If I recall correctly, Manjaro sets up several memory filesystems. Any thoughts on introducing memory filesystems for /tmp and friends on our Debian builds?

The plus: Less flash wear.

The minus: on a memory constrained system such as the Pinebook Pro (and in particular in combination with 64bit binaries) this might result in more paging.

Note: When I was running Manjaro for some time, emacs's cscope mode was requesting more space in /tmp than what was configured. So, with a conservative /tmp size, we may run into problems from time to time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,006 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,577 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,141 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,217 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 88,631 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,230 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 4,029 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,402 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,258 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,480 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock