Linux Mint?
Just got my PBP yesterday.   Could not be happier! It is exactly as described and does everything very well right out of the box!  

One, tiny little thing.  Is there a chance of running Linux Mint instead of Debian?  I have recently gotten used to Mint 19.2 and the Cinnamon shell and really like it.  Debian / Mate is certainly not bad, but I love all the extras brought to the table by Mint.  Is anyone working on this?

Thanks!
(11-01-2019, 06:14 AM)ta2025 Wrote: Just got my PBP yesterday.   Could not be happier! It is exactly as described and does everything very well right out of the box!  

One, tiny little thing.  Is there a chance of running Linux Mint instead of Debian?  I have recently gotten used to Mint 19.2 and the Cinnamon shell and really like it.  Debian / Mate is certainly not bad, but I love all the extras brought to the table by Mint.  Is anyone working on this?

Thanks!

The short answer is that Mint doesn't produce arm images. Even if they did each arm board needs it's own image because there is no bios on the boards.
(11-01-2019, 06:14 AM)ta2025 Wrote: Just got my PBP yesterday.   Could not be happier! It is exactly as described and does everything very well right out of the box!  

Thanks!

If you like Linux mint running Cinnamon (I do too), then there is a chance you'll get a similar experience with Ubuntu + Cinnamon.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

can you get that just by installing cinnamon from Synaptic?

(11-01-2019, 06:27 AM)evilbunny Wrote:

Thanks!

The short answer is that Mint doesn't produce arm images. Even if they did each arm board needs it's own image because there is no bios on the boards.

Just thought I would ask because its not as easy to find things in this system as people might think.  Also, someone might pop and say "Oh!  I just heard they are releasing Mint for ARM next week.  You never know!

(11-01-2019, 06:36 AM)Luke Wrote:

Thanks!

If you like Linux mint running Cinnamon (I do too), then there is a chance you'll get a similar experience with Ubuntu + Cinnamon.
How?  Do just install Cinnamon from Synaptics and it replace Mate as the default desktop?
(11-01-2019, 12:54 PM)ta2025 Wrote: can you get that just by installing cinnamon from Synaptic?

(11-01-2019, 06:27 AM)evilbunny Wrote:

Thanks!

Just thought I would ask because its not as easy to find things in this system as people might think.  Also, someone might pop and say "Oh!  I just heard they are releasing Mint for ARM next week.  You never know!

(11-01-2019, 06:36 AM)Luke Wrote:

Thanks!

How?  Do just install Cinnamon from Synaptics and it replace Mate as the default desktop?

I went ahead and installed the cinnamon files from Synaptics.  How do you actually switch your desktop Enviromnment.  In many other distros like ubuntu and mint, when you login, you have a switch they lets you pick which desktop environment you wish to use for the session.  I cannot find it on this distribution on Debian.

How does one change desktops?
Add option to switch DE to lightdm.
But again, you should install this on Ubuntu rather than Debian.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thanks!
 NOT CERTAIN :
  But I think I saw a "Mint DE"  at the Debian download website..   ?    (since Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian etc...)  ?

Last time I visited the Debian site (earlier this year), they had a cool new set-up, you answer some questions and they put together all the required components.
a few minutes later you just download your requested custom built operating system...
Not sure if that works for arm systems, but it could be very helpful if it does.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-03-2019, 08:06 AM)Luke Wrote: Add option to switch DE to lightdm.
But again, you should install this on Ubuntu rather than Debian.

Where do I find an Ubuntu image to load onto the PBP?
Here https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8119
I launched Cinnamon on Ubuntu. Unfortunately, only with software rendering mode.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 209 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,326 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 608 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro Luke 100 156,248 05-03-2023, 06:10 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  DiY - Installing Void Linux ARM On The Pinebook Pro vincele 1 1,127 11-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Arch Linux ARM root filesystem SKiljan 24 20,127 09-24-2022, 03:11 AM
Last Post: alexandre
Information Install Void Linux with near-full-disk encryption dumetrulo 3 2,956 09-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: petersen77
  Help with Kali Linux wifi not working but works with Manjaro PineSupporter 2 2,289 08-25-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Niko
  Problems installing/ booting a different Linux on PinebookPro v-man 3 2,967 03-22-2022, 06:37 PM
Last Post: pentamassiv
Sad 1080p60 video on PBP Linux chewie 2 2,935 08-03-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: chewie