Pinebook Pro for novice users?
I'm thinking about getting 2 Pinebook Pro's. These will be used for novice computer users,

Based on your experience, would it be a good choice, to give to 2 young computer users?

Their usage case largely centers around YouTube, Music, Netflix, Minecraft, schooling(which doesn't use Java or Flash), and more YouTube.
Generally they aren't interested in installing software or messing around in the system. Both users already run Linux on a shared laptop(my old C2D P8700 one).

Of course, spec-wise, in terms of raw hardware, I don't think they will have any issues, since they already use a laptop with 4GB of RAM, possibly a slower 160GB HDD, and a slower P8700 CPU(it geekbenches lower than the RK3399), screen is lower res.

I think that their main issues would end up being software-based. They play Minecraft: Java, I don't know if it will work on ARM, but presumably OpenJDK should, Ubuntu has packages for it on ARM. YouTube should work, Netflix is browser based, should also work, and their school site is also browser based, works on both Firefox and Chromium.

So, do you think a PB Pro would fare well once pressed into service as a media consumption laptop for an average user who expects things to work without any tinkering at all? Or might they be better served with a Chromebook?
Please check out this thread, similar question posed:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8090
(10-17-2019, 11:16 PM)mzs.112000 Wrote: I'm thinking about getting 2 Pinebook Pro's. These will be used for novice computer users,

Based on your experience, would it be a good choice, to give to 2 young computer users?

[…]

Or might they be better served with a Chromebook?

No experience yet as I'm waiting on the second batch but based on what I read about installing and using, I'd say if you can make sure the system is installed and working properly, the novices should be able to start off quite well with it. If they are eager to learn, they'll learn how to bork it and fix it in no time; if not, they'll likely ask you for help just as much as if they had a Chromebook or Windows PC…
I would not recommend for a novice at this time. I think at least a good basic Linux knowledge is required, especially if something goes wrong. On the other hand, if you are willing do some computer support for them, and they are eager to learn, it might be OK. Grandma? No!
Netflix won't work, there is no DRM for ARM
In a July YouTube Video they show the Pinebook Pro running YouTube and Amazon video.
He mentions that he does not have a NetFlix account, But, says "MrFixit assures me NetFlix runs with no problems"
He also says Firefox is unstable at that time, but Luke has said since that the Firefox issues have been fixed.
SO the software is being improved on a daily basis.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
@brent.thierens Netflix works just fine ... what do you mean there is no DRM for ARM? all you need is Widevine for Chromium. The latests update for the default build includes an updater of Widevine too ... as do @ayufan images.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(10-17-2019, 11:16 PM)mzs.112000 Wrote: I'm thinking about getting 2 Pinebook Pro's. These will be used for novice computer users,

Their usage case largely centers around YouTube, Music, Netflix, Minecraft, schooling(which doesn't use Java or Flash), and more YouTube.
Generally they aren't interested in installing software or messing around in the system. Both users already run Linux on a shared laptop(my old C2D P8700 one).

Of course, spec-wise, in terms of raw hardware, I don't think they will have any issues, since they already use a laptop with 4GB of RAM, possibly a slower 160GB HDD, and a slower P8700 CPU(it geekbenches lower than the RK3399), screen is lower res.

I think that their main issues would end up being software-based. They play Minecraft: Java, I don't know if it will work on ARM, but presumably OpenJDK should, Ubuntu has packages for it on ARM. YouTube should work, Netflix is browser based, should also work, and their school site is also browser based, works on both Firefox and Chromium.

So, do you think a PB Pro would fare well once pressed into service as a media consumption laptop for an average user who expects things to work without any tinkering at all? Or might they be better served with a Chromebook?

IF They are already used to using Linux on your older laptop,
 There should not be any real problems switching to the Pine book Pro.
   Though I would suggest that they occasionally run 'Bleachbit' as a once in a while habit   ( both as user and as root )
    and perhaps use USB flashdrives for storing large items.
     ( The suggestions are only my opinion,   you, yourself or others may or may not agree )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,908 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 302 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 229 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 621 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,228 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,000 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,148 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt