Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions
I received mine 8 days ago and I have been extremely pleased with it.  I'm surprised at the number of applications it can run and switch between with ease.  It doesn't even seem to be bothered by Firefox with 50+ tabs open.

I decided to stick with Manjaro because I haven't used this branch of the Linux tree since it was still Mandrake and I'm always up for a new experience.  I'm really impressed with the distribution and the updates seem to be just making it better and better.

This thread has provided a lot of useful tips, so I thought I'd add my impressions and issues to the list.

My only issues have been:
  • trackpad - difficult to get configured just right it seems to either be too sensitive or not sensitive enough even with small tweaks to configuration parameters
  • SD card slot - can't get an SD card to actually stay in the slot, it just ejects the card regardless of how I push it in.  If I hold it in with a finger it does mount and allow me to interact with it, but not the best user experience Wink
(05-11-2021, 07:36 AM)doby Wrote: I decided to stick with Manjaro because I haven't used this branch of the Linux tree since it was still Mandrake and I'm always up for a new experience.  I'm really impressed with the distribution and the updates seem to be just making it better and better.

Um, you might be confusing Manjaro with Mandriva - Mandriva evolved from Mandrake Linux, which was RH-based, but Manjaro is Arch-based and have little to do with Mandrake.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
I am being asked by DHL to pay more money for release of my package, I feel this is not right and am not willing to pay extra for a package I already paid for with shipping. Am I missing something?
(05-11-2021, 09:25 AM)moonwalkers Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 07:36 AM)doby Wrote: I decided to stick with Manjaro because I haven't used this branch of the Linux tree since it was still Mandrake and I'm always up for a new experience.  I'm really impressed with the distribution and the updates seem to be just making it better and better.

Um, you might be confusing Manjaro with Mandriva - Mandriva evolved from Mandrake Linux, which was RH-based, but Manjaro is Arch-based and have little to do with Mandrake.

I was, bad assumption that Man* implied Mandrake based.  I had also forgotten the name Mandrake had evolved to.  I guess Mandriva just doesn't stick in your head.
(05-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Sykorose Wrote: I am being asked by DHL to pay more money for release of my package, I feel this is not right and am not willing to pay extra for a package I already paid for with shipping. Am I missing something?

Strange, what did they ask for and how did they expect you to pay?

And, was the guy Italian or Irish as you may just want to pay with a smile  Big Grin
(05-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Sykorose Wrote: I am being asked by DHL to pay more money for release of my package, I feel this is not right and am not willing to pay extra for a package I already paid for with shipping. Am I missing something?

That is normal. This comes from China. The country where you live will most likely charge import taxes. And VAT. And DHL will charge a fee for doing in your behalf the administrative procedures to pay that to your nations customs service.

For Belgium I paid EUR 63.54.  This is part of the deal when buying from outside your customs area. If you wish to get your computer you need to pay that.
This is nothing I'm prepared for either,

My understanding is we're not ordering retail consumer goods but test equipment
It is possible, even probable, there is in the legislation dealing with importing of goods a provision for the import of special types of goods like pre-production samples. And other non consumer stuff. An exemption or reduced fee for import.

But;
- then indeed this exemption needs to exist -> contact your customs service
- this exemption needs to be applicable to this situation in general.  -> It is not so clear to me what these productions runs are legally. This is not a commercial project but 'testing machines' is also iffy. These devices are usable as normal computers. 
- the sender must have done the proper declaration about the status and value of these devices to be treated under that hypothetical exemption. -> that has not been done so far I could see regarding my package.

Your point of contact is the customs service of your country. IMHO is the most probable outcome that you will have to pay that and if you do not pay that now very soon your package will be delayed.

And if you do not pay you will not get your computer. Customs will hold it and eventually destroy it, maybe send you a bill for that. Or sell it.
(05-12-2021, 02:14 AM)walterbe Wrote: - the sender must have done the proper declaration about the status

Pine did an excellent job of making that declaration on the point of purchase, its very explicitly stated.
(05-12-2021, 04:41 AM)KABA Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 02:14 AM)walterbe Wrote: - the sender must have done the proper declaration about the status

Pine did an excellent job of making that declaration on the point of purchase, its very explicitly stated.

I mean with that; when you send a package as sender you need to give a customs declaration. A possible declaration can be it is a 'commercial sample' . Or is a gift. Or is a return of a broken device. 

What is or is not stated on the website of PINE is not relevant for customs. So far I know the sender has declared it is a computer with the correct price we have paid.

In any case that is what I can say about this. I am only a buyer of also a Pinebook Pro, that is all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,884 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 165 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 608 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,216 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,997 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,083 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt