Pinebook Pro ANSI keyboard - feedback please!
Hey everyone,

We'd like your feedback on desired key placement on the Pinebook Pro ANSI keyboard.

We are currently considering the following:
  • \| key above return key
  • Del key is Fn + backspace
  • Right Ctrl key placed at right Alt and <- arrow
Suggestions, ideas and alternatives welcome!
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

My suggestion is simple. Follow the standards.
This shows that the bottom row should have, right to the space bar, at least AltGr (right alt) and a Control key.

Here's, in my opinion, an easy to digest graphic of what is standard in this case.

https://imgur.com/a/a4vQixT

The location D13 in the 104 key layout ("ANSI") would expectedly map to the keycode giving "\|" on a US qwerty layout.

[Image: Jt0AfYz.png]

Except for the position of right control, the 105 keys layout ("ISO") is fine in the pictures of the last blog post about the Pinebook pro.

[Image: cpubQWP.png]

---

That said, I would add that both keyboards should present the same key at the right of right alt. Meaning that the 105 keys ("ISO") layout should also have right control there. And if impossible to change for the 105 keys ("ISO"), the 104 keys ("ANSI") layout should have the same key present, so there it would be "Delete". That is, mainly so that software fixes for the layout at the operating system level can apply equally to both layout, without surprises.

---

EDIT: In addition, any complaints against a standard layout can be readily answered by "this follows the standard", which is kind of a cop-out, but has evidence backing it, while any changes compared to the standard is invitation to unexpectedness by the end-users, compared to other keyboards.
We still have 3 days time to influence on ISO keyboard until Monday. This means both ANSI and ISO keyboard can have the right-CTL key and del key as fn+backspace.
I would echo everyone above so far.

* |\ above return on ANSI
* rctrl between ralt and ←
* delete as fn+backspace

It also hasn't been mentioned before, but, if possible, fnlock as fn+esc is common and very reasonable.

These would be ideal for me (I am planning on grabbing the ANSI keyboard, especially if the |\ and rctrl suggestions above happen)

All the best,

-HG
It would be good if the keyboard bezel can accommodate either ISO or ANSI layout. So you can buy the other type and install it without having to replace the whole topcase.

About the del key, I prefer to have it separate in the function key row. If the function keys become narrower as a result, I don't mind.

Something like this:
[Image: keyboard.jpg]
(07-12-2019, 06:36 PM)chithanh Wrote: It would be good if the keyboard bezel can accommodate either ISO or ANSI layout. So you can buy the other type and install it without having to replace the whole topcase… Something like this…

Oh my. That return/|\ key solution is amazing. The ability to accommodate both sounds incredible. If it is not too late to change hardware, I think this would be the best possible solution.

Personally, I disagree about the delete key, but I would not be terribly bothered about having it as a hard key and shrinking the Fn row (again, only if it is not too late to change the hardware).

All the best,

-HG
2 cents input : I'd prefered my CFILORUX layout ( http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/...014f825195 ) but we cannot have everything :/

(Oh that ugly right shift key, almost as long as the space bar)
(07-12-2019, 03:56 PM)tllim Wrote: We still have 3 days time to influence on ISO keyboard until Monday.
Now it's Tuesday. Smile What has been decided?
OK so 24 hours until the choice gets locked down.

Here is what we have:

1) ANSI keyboard - \| above return
2) ANSI and ISO keyboards - Del key placed next to Alt Gr and <- arrow key. No right Ctrl.

Everyone happy with this?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

As far as (2) is concerned (key right to alt gr) it is preferable to have both keyboards have the same layout.

Though, in my opinion it should be preferred to follow the ISO standard of [ctrl, fn, super, alt, space, altgr, right control], since after all it is the standard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 236 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 219 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 201 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 141 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 524 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 579 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 2 1,754 01-11-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: winecork
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,132 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,943 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 58,782 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt