DietPi for Pinebook
[Image: dietpi-logo_150.png]

Lightweight justice for your Pinebook A64

http://dietpi.com/download

The DietPi image for Pinebook A64 has the following software installed:
Its aim is to provide the fastest possible desktop experience, using lightweight software and optimisations.
  • LXDE (lightweight desktop)
  • Firefox-esr
  • DietPi lightweight programs to get the most from your system (eg: setup WiFi, tweak process priorities etc):
    dietpi-launcher

Additional info:
  • 172MB RAM usage once booted to desktop
  • OpenGL ES supported
  • Kernel = 4.19

Ref: 
Thank you for saving my life. This is beautiful.

Excited to try this out.
Great Job! many thanks for the hard work.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

This is really snappy! Thanks!

No luck on HDMI---any suggestions?
The keyboard layout is a little off: shift+2 (@ symbol) and shift+3 (# symbol) yield double quotes and the pound symbol, respectively. @ and # can be found on shift+fn+- and fn+= instead.

Is there a keyboard layout that I can select with dietpi-config that fixes this?
Added DietPi (1080P Pinebook) to Wiki and Pine64 Installer
Added DietPi (Pinebook) to Wiki and Pine64 Installer
I have the 1080p Pinebook, and have run a few different distros on both emmc and sd without too much hassle. Both "dd" and Pinebook installer seem to produce usable SD cards.

But I'm having difficulty getting this (dietpi) to run on my Pinebook1080p ... I'm trying to run it from SD. I've made attempts with SD written by the Pine64 Installer, downloaded directly from the dietpi site and written via both dd and pv, and each time I end up with the same situation so I don't believe any of the write methods is failing differently than the others.

A few screens full of text flies by, and when it all stops I have a "=>" prompt. What I see next appears to be the "help" output for the fdt command, followed by:
libfdt fdt_path_offset() returned FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND
** Can't read partition table on 0:0 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
Loading kernel and initrd...
## Error: "load_kernel" not defined
SCRIPT FAILED: continuing...

After that are a bunch of "missing environment variable: {pxeuuid, bootfile, etc.}"

I'm not certain exactly what the Pinebook Installer does, but when using dd and pv I'm writing the decompressed image directly to the block device (/dev/sdb on my linux box, /dev/rdisk2 on my mac). Each method seems to result in the same thing.

I feel like I may be missing something simple and stupid, but cannot seem to find anything in these (or the dietpi) forums. Assistance would be happily accepted.
Just a quick update ... Still wondering whether something was confusing internal versus external storage, I overwrote the SD with archlinux and booted it without issue. From there, I proceeded to wipe the internal emmc storage and write the dietpi image to that. To my surprise, the pinebook booted right into dietpi that way.

I performed a small bit of configuration and allowed it to update itself and followed with a reboot. The boot failed with similar messages as with the sd boot failures. I powered down and rebooted again. And again. And again. After about 5 attempts, it booted. I immediately tried again, and boot failed.

I wonder what is different between dietpi and the other distributions which make it so unreliable on my pinebook - I have seen zero boot failures from either SD or emmc for 5-6 distributions I've played with. I also wonder what is different with my 1080p pinebook, as I don't see evidence of others having this issue.

I purchased the 64GB emmc along with the 1080p pinebook, and that is what is currently installed. So while I could have botched that connection somehow, doing so would have shown up with all the other distributions as well.

So ... any ideas?

I'm after the most nimble distribution, upon which I'll be running i3 or awesome or another small tiling window manager. I don't need much - the web browser used for research will be the biggest drain, tmux/ssh/nmap will be 90% of what this is used for. The dietpi distribution looks like it should be a good match, but only if I can get it to run ...
I just got a used 14in Pinebook and DietPi 6.18 also won't boot on mine via SD Card.  It has the 64GB eMMC upgrade installed. 

Armbian 5.56 stable works from both the SD and eMMC so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,085 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] KRT 46 59,222 09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mara
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 739 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 583 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,129 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,082 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,612 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,054 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,691 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Ran apt update on my Pinebook.. ford442 0 2,719 12-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ford442