RockPro64 and PINE64 WIFI Module Compatability
I have an old (can't believe I'm saying it) pine64+ with the WiFi module and was thinking of upgrading to the RockPro64. I don't want to buy the WiFi module for that, yet, so I was wondering if I can cannibalize the N from the Pine64 for the time being and upgrade to that later. It's already more than I spent originally, albeit more powerful, so upfront cost is a concern. The more I have to spend upfront, the longer it will take for my project to get back up.

The reason for the upgrade is I designed a Home Automation Hub/Media Center for my dining room and the Jessie and Xenial kernels just seem to not like USB touchscreen very well and unless it was solved and I missed it, the gigabit network is not really a gigabit network (hardware flaw), and It will stream from a Plex/Playon server on my network at times at 4K (large get togethers). Plus I'm finding a really annoying problem that on boot from a long shutdown, I have to unplug the HDMI then Plug it back in to get signal. Only happens for long shutdowns. Restarts and quick shutdowns don't do it. Basically going to retire it to something headless. The RockPro gives me the excuse.

Basically, will the module work or not.
(06-06-2018, 09:40 PM)sdwhwk Wrote: I have an old (can't believe I'm saying it) pine64+ with the WiFi module and was thinking of upgrading to the RockPro64. I don't want to buy the WiFi module for that, yet, so I was wondering if I can cannibalize the N from the Pine64 for the time being and upgrade to that later. It's already more than I spent originally, albeit more powerful, so upfront cost is a concern. The more I have to spend upfront, the longer it will take for my project to get back up.

The reason for the upgrade is I designed a Home Automation Hub/Media Center for my dining room and the Jessie and Xenial kernels just seem to not like USB touchscreen very well and unless it was solved and I missed it, the gigabit network is not really a gigabit network (hardware flaw), and It will stream from a Plex/Playon server on my network at times at 4K (large get togethers). Plus I'm finding a really annoying problem that on boot from a long shutdown, I have to unplug the HDMI then Plug it back in to get signal. Only happens for long shutdowns. Restarts and quick shutdowns don't do it. Basically going to retire it to something headless. The RockPro gives me the excuse.

Basically, will the module work or not.

There is a new module for the rockpro64, but the module has the 14/16 physical placement for the pins, and from the schematic, both the pine64 and rockpro64 seem to have the same pinout, so I would not be surprised to find out it is compatible. I have to admit I haven't tried the onboard wifi yet so plug it in and see if it works...
Yeah, I noticed they had the same pin connector layout also, but you know, all it takes is someone switching pin 1 for pin 2. I don't see that happening (having not looked at the schematic myself), but I have seen it happen on other devices. I guess I'll get one and hope they play well together. Thanks.
(06-07-2018, 07:37 PM)sdwhwk Wrote: Yeah, I noticed they had the same pin connector layout also, but you know, all it takes is someone switching pin 1 for pin 2. I don't see that happening (having not looked at the schematic myself), but I have seen it happen on other devices. I guess I'll get one and hope they play well together. Thanks.

Hi,

Please keep us updated as I have a couple of Pine64 WiFi adapters floating around that I would love to use on an RPro64 when I eventually get one.

Thank you.
(06-08-2018, 10:49 AM)jl_678 Wrote: Please keep us updated as I have a couple of Pine64 WiFi adapters floating around that I would love to use on an RPro64 when I eventually get one.

Thanks for the reminder.

It looks like wifi support is only a thought atm on the linux images (guessing it should work fine on android with the rockpro64 wifi module). The 0.6.51 ubuntu linux image recognises the rockpro64 wifi module, but doesn't like it, and doesn't detect the pine64 wifi module at all. But on the plus side no smoke came out, so it seems fine! Big Grin Big Grin

This is some data from the 'rockpro64' module: https://pastebin.com/9TQnwh7P

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AW-CM256SM wifi card mtek 4 2,216 10-30-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: diederik
  Powering on the Rockpro64 JPT223 1 826 09-24-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: hoarfrosty
  ROCKPro64 Battery Power Supply hoarfrosty 11 1,630 09-23-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: hoarfrosty
  ROCKPro64 with 16 ports SATA controller ZeblodS 19 25,271 12-18-2022, 06:25 PM
Last Post: heyghoge
  Using RPI hat on RockPro64? misterc 0 798 12-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Last Post: misterc
  GPIO on the RockPro64 - all pins high? colinmarc 2 1,524 11-18-2022, 10:20 AM
Last Post: colinmarc
  ROCKPro64 DOA ajtravis 8 6,357 11-08-2022, 03:40 AM
Last Post: ajtravis
  U.FL plug on the Wifi/BT module? domih 8 12,531 10-17-2022, 04:43 AM
Last Post: callegar
  RockPro64 not booting up mvicha@gmail.com 0 1,093 09-19-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: mvicha@gmail.com
  Pine Wifi Module williamdieter 2 2,664 07-20-2022, 03:31 AM