Z-Wave module pinout to make it compatible with Pi b+
(09-30-2016, 06:32 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 07:04 AM)bonterra Wrote: Well, who'll be the first to offer a replacement adapter? Smile

Well, I'm not sure it qualifies as an adapter... but my cheapie (and extremely flexible!) adapter would probably consist of a set of male to female dupont leads and some double sided tape! Smile And a dremel through the lid if the connectors won't fit under... exposing the whole RPi header while I was at it!

(09-30-2016, 07:04 AM)bonterra Wrote: I wonder why they made the adapter for the PI header rather than the Euler bus?

If it is RPi pin-compatible, I think we can all guess the answer there! Would make it a bit more useful also if you have a RPi, as you could swap it between pine64 and RPi if you wanted.

The original intent is the ZWave module can swap between Pine64 and RPi. I think current RPi's ZWave module is over price and using proprietary software stack, Pine64 ZWave module using official certified software stack.
(10-02-2016, 02:34 PM)tllim Wrote: The original intent is the ZWave module can swap between Pine64 and RPi. I think current RPi's ZWave module is over price and using proprietary software stack, Pine64 ZWave module using official certified software stack.

I think that it is commendable and very smart of you to offer another product for the people using Raspberry PI as the RazBerry (ZWave) is, as you said, way overpriced.

With this in view I think it is even more important for you to minimize the footprint of the adapter on the PI-2 bus. As I said earlier you could "use only pins 1-10 by using pin 9 as GND instead of pin 39, leaving 11-40 available for other things", the RazBerry ZWave module does exactly that and it is using the Sigma Designs ZM5202 module.
(10-02-2016, 02:34 PM)tllim Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 07:04 AM)bonterra Wrote: Well, who'll be the first to offer a replacement adapter? Smile

Well, I'm not sure it qualifies as an adapter... but my cheapie (and extremely flexible!) adapter would probably consist of a set of male to female dupont leads and some double sided tape! Smile And a dremel through the lid if the connectors won't fit under... exposing the whole RPi header while I was at it!

(09-30-2016, 07:04 AM)bonterra Wrote: I wonder why they made the adapter for the PI header rather than the Euler bus?

If it is RPi pin-compatible, I think we can all guess the answer there! Would make it a bit more useful also if you have a RPi, as you could swap it between pine64 and RPi if you wanted.

The original intent is the ZWave module can swap between Pine64 and RPi. I think current RPi's ZWave module is over price and using proprietary software stack, Pine64 ZWave module using official certified software stack.

Even though I do agree that the current module is expensive, it's better in the way it doesn't consume the whole bus like yours does. Will you provide a schematic so we could build an adapter to use it on the EULER bus so the PI-bus can be used for something else? Or offer an alternative for the current adapter?
I'm pretty easygoing, but this has made me realise I just threw away money at something that doesn't have purpose for me anymore.

Barring that I would like at least an answer aknowledging the fact that you changed the specs of the reward I pledged for.
(10-04-2016, 02:37 PM)j.hoekstra Wrote:
(10-02-2016, 02:34 PM)tllim Wrote:

Even though I do agree that the current module is expensive, it's better in the way it doesn't consume the whole bus like yours does. Will you provide a schematic so we could build an adapter to use it on the EULER bus so the PI-bus can be used for something else? Or offer an alternative for the current adapter?
I'm pretty easygoing, but this has made me realise I just threw away money at something that doesn't have purpose for me anymore.

Barring that I would like at least an answer aknowledging the fact that you changed the specs of the reward I pledged for.

We will release the ZWave module schematic on mid October. We prefer the use all 40pin connector so that user will not plug in wrongly. If somebody interest to make the connector short, only the top 4x2 pins are used and the rest are NC (no connect)
Any status update of the module schematic or alternative solutions. I am facing the exact same problem and frustrations.

A nice pine64 2G board w/ all IOT parts (esp. the zwave Sad), but the zwave used the whole gpio bus. I just can not use the pine64 for other connections.
(10-07-2016, 04:39 PM)tllim Wrote: We will release the ZWave module schematic on mid October. We prefer the use all 40pin connector so that user will not plug in wrongly. If somebody interest to make the connector short, only the top 4x2 pins are used and the rest are NC (no connect)

So you are actually doing a Microsoft thing here - you are assuming that the users of Pine64 will connect it wrong and therefore you are making sure that they cannot connect it wrong.
However, my impression (and this is PURELY my impression) of your users is that they know, or will find out, how to connect and program any accessory you can shoot at them. Yes, some will connect it wrong but they will find others that will help them, but most will connect it correctly and will be very happy using a module that does not take a full bus, leaving them options on how to use the rest of the pins.
I have already found help on how to connect/program accessories on this forum and your members are actually amazing at helping each-other.

Just my 2 cents

Yomet
(10-20-2016, 09:13 PM)geneliu Wrote: Any status update of the module schematic or alternative solutions. I am facing the exact same problem and frustrations.

A nice pine64 2G board w/ all IOT parts (esp. the zwave Sad), but the zwave used the whole gpio bus. I just can not use the pine64 for other connections.

S0orry about the schematic delay. I will make a final confirmation and publish.
(10-25-2016, 08:11 PM)tllim Wrote:
(10-20-2016, 09:13 PM)geneliu Wrote: Any status update of the module schematic or alternative solutions. I am facing the exact same problem and frustrations.

We're still waiting for the schematic? Still not using the Z-wave module because of not fitting in the case.
Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the 40 pin GPIO of the PI2, and the PI b+ are preceisely identical; be warned however, that the PI bus of the PineA64 board is not precisely compatible with the real Raspberry PI. Some of the pins do not work, and some of them require external pull-up resistors to work.

smt pcba
(10-25-2016, 08:11 PM)tllim Wrote:

Have you published the schematic for the new boards somewhere?  I'm trying to use the GPIO bus for something else but the Z-wave module is monopolizing the entire bus.

If you can't post the schematic, can you confirm if the pinout for the new module is the same as the pinout for the old hat?  Unfortunately, with the newer board, the hat and the Z-wave module are one piece so I can't remove the Z-wave module.

This decision was just bizarre.  This is like buying a computer peripheral that is 7 slots wide and you can't use the computer for anything else.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Z-Wave and openzwave+node-openzwave-shared saro 2 6,202 09-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Last Post: saro
  Z-Wave - Full and Low Power Inclusion mode B34N 1 4,183 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Last Post: B34N
  What cameras are compatible with that ribbon connector? nayrenitnatsnoc 1 3,810 02-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  KICAD Quick Lib and Module Generator mbt28 1 4,603 02-12-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Z Wave Module and still using GPIO bang 2 5,683 01-16-2017, 03:12 AM
Last Post: bang
  Z-Wave US module with adapter aegrotatio 4 7,117 01-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Last Post: aegrotatio
  RaZberry Module (z-wave) need support to get it working! Luxus 13 18,638 11-03-2016, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Luxus
  Z-Wave module problem vintagewaffle 0 2,310 10-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Last Post: vintagewaffle
  Raspberry Pi and Arduino accessories compatible? Krowyn 6 10,460 10-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: rohan
Video Australia/New Zealand Z-Wave module Jnimmo 46 53,260 10-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Last Post: tllim