cpupower-gui profiles and battery life
Code:
sudo apt install cpupower-gui
For most of us on most PP distros install is as easy as that, desoite being built with a PP mobile GUI scaling look in non-mobile apps for the launcher.  https://github.com/vagnum08/cpupower-gui
It makes tweaking CPU use pretty easy, back in the Nokia N900 days this was done more for performance ie:overclocking the CPU and GPU, but on Rockchip and Allwinner I feel like we are more interested in battery life.
With some experimentation I think we can come up with some great battery life saving while still having a phone awake enough to catch phone calls, you can put the GUI in favorites when mobile apps only is enabled to have quick access.  I am enabling balanced mode and will give it a week or so of trial on my Rockchip CPU PPp daily driver phone.
What is nice is with a long press from the desktop you can choose presets without launching the app.
I tried running on Optimized mode for about an hour streaming over 4G music on Shortwave app, killed WiFi and BT about 30min in, down to 25% from 90%. Needs some serious tweaking. I am sure it is partly hardware limitations vs ultra streamlined ARM CPUs with ultra refined drivers, partly not running all audio and video through a GPU or audio hardware acceleration, and partly that we are reinventing the wheel again from a desktop OS, party the modem which has its own software/firmware distro working on improvements.
(edit)
I am always shocked to find my resting phone is warm, always shocked to see my PPpro pulling between 5-6 Watts with only Powersupply app running, no WiFi no BT, struggling to charge when connected to a PinePower. Most app and functionality issues are working out for a daily driver but I am always charging.
(edit2)
Surprising, even when I kill both Cortex-A72s (CPU 4 & 5) and 2 of 4 Cortex-A53(0 & 1 of 0-3) it is still pulling 6.5W same draw as when all CPUs are running, even when I kill all RF(4g,WiFi, Bluetooth) it still is pulling 5.8W... IDK.
I feel like I must have something configured wrong or the app doesn't have the permissions to actually do anything, I also killed tor, there has to be a way to save more power than this even if it strangles the system as long as I can switch back to power mode for web and similar.
(10-16-2024, 04:53 AM)biketool Wrote: Surprising, even when I kill both Cortex-A72s (CPU 4 & 5) and 2 of 4 Cortex-A53(0 & 1 of 0-3) it is still pulling 6.5W same draw as when all CPUs are running, even when I kill all RF(4g,WiFi, Bluetooth) it still is pulling 5.8W... IDK.
I feel like I must have something configured wrong or the app doesn't have the permissions to actually do anything, I also killed tor, there has to be a way to save more power than this even if it strangles the system as long as I can switch back to power mode for web and similar.

I would assume the biggest power draw is the LCD display. The Pine64 page says the PinePhonePro uses a Himax HX8394 LCD. The Himax HX8394 data sheet, talks about how it can be driven to Low Power or High Speed mode. Makes me wonder if we (the community) can put the LCD in a low power mode. OR maybe it is already in that mode... More research is needed!
(10-16-2024, 08:26 AM)mikehenson Wrote:
(10-16-2024, 04:53 AM)biketool Wrote: Surprising, even when I kill both Cortex-A72s (CPU 4 & 5) and 2 of 4 Cortex-A53(0 & 1 of 0-3) it is still pulling 6.5W same draw as when all CPUs are running, even when I kill all RF(4g,WiFi, Bluetooth) it still is pulling 5.8W... IDK.

I would assume the biggest power draw is the LCD display. The Pine64 page says the PinePhonePro uses a Himax HX8394 LCD. The Himax HX8394 data sheet, talks about how it can be driven to Low Power or High Speed mode. Makes me wonder if we (the community) can put the LCD in a low power mode. OR maybe it is already in that mode... More research is needed!

I wish that Megi was still interacting with the community, form what I read his contribs became the sole source for too much of Pinephone development.  I will look for that specific device though in Megi work logs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery life suggestion aular2 2 644 08-05-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: aular2
  rough estimate of expected microSD installation life? andrewp907 7 4,557 06-10-2023, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Megi's Kernel and Battery Life biketool 3 2,665 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  PinePhone Pro battery life Barugon 17 17,663 07-29-2022, 09:23 AM
Last Post: prog-amateur
  postmarketOS fixed battery issues Deadladyofclowntown 1 1,832 06-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  Phone won't suspend, battery drains quickly nelstomlinson 12 8,853 04-05-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Anna
  The modem switch affects the connection to battery? JohnDoe 2 2,503 03-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe
  improve battery life on pine phone beta? taoschx 0 1,243 02-28-2022, 06:24 AM
Last Post: taoschx
  Guide to power off the Pinephone on low battery Ulfnic 1 1,816 02-06-2022, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ulfnic
Question Is there a way to increase the battery life of the PinePhone? Avisando 18 14,747 01-22-2022, 11:55 PM
Last Post: bcnaz