Tow boot
I'm trying to install Mobian on my PP64, but it won'T work without tow boot (tried it with jumpdrive regardless but failed). Can someone give me a detailed guide on how to install tow boot? I'm sick and tired of reading "tow boot is made to make the booting process boring" for like a million times without any proper instructions.
(06-01-2024, 02:07 AM)MTXP Wrote: I'm trying to install Mobian on my PP64, but it won'T work without tow boot (tried it with jumpdrive regardless but failed). Can someone give me a detailed guide on how to install tow boot? I'm sick and tired of reading "tow boot is made to make the booting process boring" for like a million times without any proper instructions.

https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot/rel...006.tar.xz

https://www.prevanders.net/pinephone.html

https://tow-boot.org/devices/pine64-pinephoneA64.html

ezik
Is there anything better? This seems to be the same stuff I already read. Still not working.
(06-01-2024, 02:07 AM)MTXP Wrote: I'm trying to install Mobian on my PP64, but it won'T work without tow boot (tried it with jumpdrive regardless but failed). Can someone give me a detailed guide on how to install tow boot? I'm sick and tired of reading "tow boot is made to make the booting process boring" for like a million times without any proper instructions.

1) Tow-boot is for the PinePhonePro.
2) I will assume you have the PinePhone. In that case, make sure you are getting the correct image from Mobian.
3) I think Mobian stopped supporting the PinePhone and is now only supporting the PinePhonePro.
1) Tow-Boot supports many devices, including the original PinePhone. The link that was given is specifically for the original PinePhone ("PinePhone A64"). It is just that the original PinePhone does not have an SPI chip like the PinePhone Pro has, and as such Tow-Boot must be installed on the eMMC and/or microSD instead. This makes it more complicated to install than on the PinePhone Pro because it will usually need to share a storage device with the operating system, which is why Tow-Boot is less popular on the original PinePhone, users prefer using a bootloader that comes with the OS. But Mobian does not leave you a choice there, they do not ship any bootloader at all and require you to use Tow-Boot.
2) Mobian has required Tow-Boot for all their images for some time already. (IMHO, an unfortunate and user-unfriendly decision.) So getting a different OS image from Mobian will not solve the problem.
3) Mobian solved their kernel maintenance problem, so (as far as I know) they still support the original PinePhone. But only with Tow-Boot.
"Still not working" isn't a particularly useful problem description. Describe what steps you took and where you got stuck. In the interest of being constructive, here is a high-level set of steps you can reference:

1. Write mmcboot.installer.img to an SD card, plug it into PP and boot it up. It will show you a graphical installer, follow the prompts to install Tow-Boot.
2. Write a mobian installer image to an SD card. It is possible to flash directly with jump drive et.al. but for now use the installer images until you get at least something working. Boot up the PP with the SD inserted; you will probably need to hold the volume down key (if not try up) while booting to tell Tow-Boot to actually use the SD card. You'll be greeted with the installer, again follow the prompts.

Note:
* If you're unsure whether Tow-Boot has installed correctly, you can tell by the fact that the LED blinks in a different way at bootup vs. using stock/distro-provided U-Boot.
* If you're installing mobian to the eMMC make sure to take the SD card out once the installer finishes (and you've powered off the device).
* In general be mindful of what's on any SD card you insert into the PP, since if there's a valid U-Boot image on there it will override the Tow-Boot that you installed onto mmcboot. e.g. Jumpdrive will override anything you have in eMMC.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How boot Alpine Linux realroot 3 221 Yesterday, 05:26 AM
Last Post: realroot
  Pinephone won't boot. spha 13 5,138 05-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richy_T
  Pinephone boot. Richy_T 5 1,218 05-15-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Richy_T
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 9 2,441 05-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: laserpyramid
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 878 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Boot screen stuck at 'K' because of firmware deleted. poundantisec 9 6,468 08-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: fxc
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 2,092 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
  UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant) megous 182 268,529 03-05-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Eugo
Sad New PinePhone won't boot 9/10 times - Screen is on but stays black :( dante404 8 6,372 02-03-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dante404
  no sdcard boot and manjaro update failed Gwen 3 1,906 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM