packages held back
Hello, running trixie here and for a few weeks I have seen those 4 packages held back when running upgrades:
  mobian-base mobian-phone-base mobian-phosh-base mobian-phosh-phone
Is it safe to install them? Full-upgrade usually brake things on testing lol
Thanks in advance.

Just see it would brake something around audiopulse and pipeware, right?
Please report this to the mobian devs (on their Matrix channel or https://salsa.debian.org/Mobian-team/met...n/-/issues (if you have a Salsa account)) as this is something they need to fix.

If you have 'aptitude' installed, you can run "aptitude full-upgrade -s" ('-s' = simulate) and it'll tell you why it can't do a safe-upgrade.
(09-18-2023, 02:14 AM)diederik Wrote: Please report this to the mobian devs (on their Matrix channel or https://salsa.debian.org/Mobian-team/met...n/-/issues (if you have a Salsa account)) as this is something they need to fix.

If you have 'aptitude' installed, you can run "aptitude full-upgrade -s" ('-s' = simulate) and it'll tell you why it can't do a safe-upgrade.

I did a sudo apt install mobian-base mobian-phone-base mobian-phosh-base mobian-phosh-phone
and it show me that  would remove some pulseaudio packages and install some pipewire...it's abou that debian transition...we can just wait.  I will report it on salsa, but I am sure they are aware of it.
(09-18-2023, 04:12 AM)user641 Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 02:14 AM)diederik Wrote: Please report this to the mobian devs (on their Matrix channel or https://salsa.debian.org/Mobian-team/met...n/-/issues (if you have a Salsa account)) as this is something they need to fix.

I did a sudo apt install mobian-base mobian-phone-base mobian-phosh-base mobian-phosh-phone
and it show me that  would remove some pulseaudio packages and install some pipewire...it's abou that debian transition...we can just wait.  I will report it on salsa, but I am sure they are aware of it.

In that case using full-upgrade is likely the right thing to do.
https://salsa.debian.org/Mobian-team/met...ngelog#L15 shows:
Code:
d/control: switch to pipewire for audio

If pulseaudio was marked as manually installed (thus NOT automatically installed), then you do need to do a full-upgrade.
I think that indicates that the packaging could've been better, but I'm still at the beginning of my learning track wrt those things.

BTW: Kudos for not blindly running full-upgrade Cool (too many ppl break their system by doing that)
(09-18-2023, 05:53 AM)diederik Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 04:12 AM)user641 Wrote:

In that case using full-upgrade is likely the right thing to do.
https://salsa.debian.org/Mobian-team/met...ngelog#L15 shows:
Code:
d/control: switch to pipewire for audio

If pulseaudio was marked as manually installed (thus NOT automatically installed), then you do need to do a full-upgrade.
I think that indicates that the packaging could've been better, but I'm still at the beginning of my learning track wrt those things.

BTW: Kudos for not blindly running full-upgrade Cool (too many ppl break their system by doing that)
thanks for the help and info, I ended up runnig apt install mobian-base mobian-phone-base mobian-phosh-base mobian-phosh-phone. As far as I remeber it's safe than full-upgrade when running testting and sid.
(09-18-2023, 10:00 AM)user641 Wrote: I ended up runnig apt install mobian-base mobian-phone-base mobian-phosh-base mobian-phosh-phone.
As far as I remeber it's safe than full-upgrade when running testting and sid.

FYI: No, that doesn't matter.

If you have enabled both Testing and Sid and not configured 'other' things, then you're actually running Sid.

What often happens when both get enabled, is that Testing is made the default. Run "apt-config dump | grep Default" to see if that's the case.
When Testing is the default, then you do things 'in' Testing, unless you explicitly specify otherwise (via f.e. "-t sid").

APT selects the package/version whose priority is the highest and if the priority is the same, then it takes the highest version.
When you set Testing as Default-Release, then Testing gets a priority of 990 vs the standard of 500 (for Sid).
See "apt-cache policy" for the general settings and "apt-cache policy <pkg>" for a specific package.
(09-18-2023, 11:05 AM)diederik Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 10:00 AM)user641 Wrote: I ended up runnig apt install mobian-base mobian-phone-base mobian-phosh-base mobian-phosh-phone.

If you have enabled both Testing and Sid and not configured 'other' things, then you're actually running Sid.

What often happens when both get enabled, is that Testing is made the default. Run "apt-config dump | grep Default" to see if that's the case.
When Testing is the default, then you do things 'in' Testing, unless you explicitly specify otherwise (via f.e. "-t sid").

APT selects the package/version whose priority is the highest and if the priority is the same, then it takes the highest version.
When you set Testing as Default-Release, then Testing gets a priority of 990 vs the standard of 500 (for Sid).
See "apt-cache policy" for the general settings and "apt-cache policy <pkg>" for a specific package.

I am only running trixie. I meant in general if one is running testing or sid.
(09-18-2023, 11:16 AM)user641 Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 11:05 AM)diederik Wrote:

I am only running trixie. I meant in general if one is running testing or sid.

The only time that "full-upgrade" is 'dangerous' is if you use the "-y" flag and/or don't read or ignore what APT is telling you it's about to do.
If APT is telling you it's about to remove 90% of your system and you don't want that, just say 'No' to abort.

IMO you should ONLY use "-y" when you're scripting and I think that (generally speaking) scripting system updates/upgrades it rarely a good idea.
Just do it interactively at the prompt and read what APT tells you and then use your common sense.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When are we getting Geary back? LibrePhoneUser 15 5,588 12-09-2022, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Anna
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,330 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  How to move Firefox address bar back to top? Zebulon Walton 5 2,989 06-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Last Post: iwakura_lain
  Epiphany browser broken after webkit packages upgrade user641 0 845 04-15-2022, 05:20 AM
Last Post: user641
  Packages being kept back user641 2 1,908 02-08-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: user641
  need my usb tethering back HLing 12 9,477 08-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: biketool
  "Unable to download updates: The following packages have unmet dependencies:" bitnick 13 12,046 04-23-2021, 09:45 PM
Last Post: ryo