When are we getting Geary back?
Geary was removed from Debian Testing some time ago, and so the ability to check email disappeared from the phones of any Mobian users who ran apt-get dist-upgrade. I occasionally look at Debian’s Tracker page for Geary, and I can see that new geary versions have been added to Unstable, but it still hasn’t been reintroduced to Testing. Could someone more familiar with Debian’s development process explain what the delay is?
(10-16-2022, 09:54 PM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote: Geary was removed from Debian Testing some time ago, and so the ability to check email disappeared from the phones of any Mobian users who ran apt-get dist-upgrade. I occasionally look at Debian’s Tracker page for Geary, and I can see that new geary versions have been added to Unstable, but it still hasn’t been reintroduced to Testing. Could someone more familiar with Debian’s development process explain what the delay is?

I've been watching that too and I think it won't be back soon. I'm no expert on this but it appears geary is blocked because there is no ayatana-indicator-messages in testing, and that is blocked by the absence of libayatana-common, which is blocked by the absence of lomiri-url-dispatcher, which is blocked by the absence of lomiri-app-launch or mir, ...  Basically it looks like that game where someone moved some tiny thing and it caused everything to collapse.  The maintainer of the tiny thing at the bottom may not even realize how much stuff ultimately depends on it.
(10-16-2022, 09:54 PM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote: Geary was removed from Debian Testing some time ago, and so the ability to check email disappeared from the phones of any Mobian users who ran apt-get dist-upgrade. I occasionally look at Debian’s Tracker page for Geary, and I can see that new geary versions have been added to Unstable, but it still hasn’t been reintroduced to Testing. Could someone more familiar with Debian’s development process explain what the delay is?

I think there is a flatpak of Geary available in the gui software store on Mobian.

I have been expecting any geary reintroduction for days, then finaly moved to mutt. It is in the mobian repos, and is much more efficient and reliable than geary in the end. If you are not affraid of the terminal, you should definately have a try on it. Also, mutt supports gpg.
(11-03-2022, 04:54 PM)mob Wrote: I have been expecting any geary reintroduction for days, then finaly moved to mutt. It is in the mobian repos, and is much more efficient and reliable than geary in the end. If you are not affraid of the terminal, you should definately have a try on it. Also, mutt supports gpg.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I mainly used Geary to check for whether clients have sent me any urgent messages (and I would then go to my laptop to answer). For such fast, read-only mailchecking, Geary with its touch interface was a lot more convenient than a keyboard-driven app like mutt.

So, here's hoping that Geary is reintroduced to Debian Testing soon.
(11-03-2022, 06:10 PM)LibrePhoneUser Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 04:54 PM)mob Wrote: I have been expecting any geary reintroduction for days, then finaly moved to mutt. It is in the mobian repos, and is much more efficient and reliable than geary in the end. If you are not affraid of the terminal, you should definately have a try on it. Also, mutt supports gpg.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I mainly used Geary to check for whether clients have sent me any urgent messages (and I would then go to my laptop to answer). For such fast, read-only mailchecking, Geary with its touch interface was a lot more convenient than a keyboard-driven app like mutt.

So, here's hoping that Geary is reintroduced to Debian Testing soon.

Once installed on mobian, there is a mutt icon on the phone "desktop". Clicking on it starts mutt and automatically fetch new incoming mails. Then hitting the q key is enought to quit the client. Nothing crazy as compared to geary workflow regarding the usage you describe. It is also possible to setup a cron job to automatically check new incoming mails every x minutes (or even seconds if you like), there are lots of tutorials for that. I am not aware of any similar capability with geary (push notification ?). But I agree mutt is different from geary, it is just a reasonable workaround until any future update. Not that bad, it really worth a try Wink
i i installed geary from "software" and it seems to woek fine

ezik
(10-17-2022, 02:01 PM)treebeard Wrote: ... it appears geary is blocked because there is no ayatana-indicator-messages in testing, and that is blocked by the absence of libayatana-common, which is blocked by the absence of lomiri-url-dispatcher, which is blocked by the absence of lomiri-app-launch ...

Looks like all the missing dependencies made their way into bookworm this past Tuesday so Geary is a step closer to returning.
Is there any feasible alternative? (i.e. something that is not command line based or that's only usable on bigger screens)?

Best, A.
Claws used to be usable on the openmoko, but the resistive touchscreen was better fro precision than the capacitive ones are now. Worth a try if you don't mind the appearance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  packages held back user641 7 1,343 09-18-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: diederik
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,239 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  geary shulamy 2 1,433 09-10-2022, 03:01 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  How to move Firefox address bar back to top? Zebulon Walton 5 2,952 06-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Last Post: iwakura_lain
  Geary: can't write mail jsch 2 1,707 03-12-2022, 03:28 AM
Last Post: jsch
  Packages being kept back user641 2 1,888 02-08-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: user641
  Protonmail in Geary tombull 1 2,066 11-14-2021, 07:42 AM
Last Post: d-.-b
  need my usb tethering back HLing 12 9,373 08-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Protonmail in geary r7s3TgmyQv2R3z 1 3,005 03-18-2021, 02:32 PM
Last Post: user12345
  Geary crashes during start after recent update p1trson 2 3,414 01-16-2021, 04:49 AM
Last Post: p1trson