[PineTab2] Issues with Mobian Networking
Sorry for the delay on this.. been very busy. Tongue

(07-24-2023, 10:19 AM)dachalife Wrote: For now, I would stick with the standard configuration: (DanctNIX), unless you’re a programmer.

The Debian WIKI doesn’t have a network configuration page for a reason; they don’t have a working solution yet.

I mean.. I am a programmer.. but I don't exactly have time right now to do more than maybe compile a kernel.  (Though I don't know if I've ever built a kernel from scratch before.. Tongue )

(07-25-2023, 10:12 AM)diederik Wrote:
(07-23-2023, 08:30 PM)Cornelia Xaos Wrote: I've been using a combination of USB-A to USB-C adapters to do all manner of things from usb tethering off my phone, utilizing a USB-A wifi adapter, and using a USB to ethernet adapter.  While all of these options previously worked with the danctnix installation, none of them appear to be functioning with Mobian.

Can you share the exact type of network/wifi adapters?
The 'friendly' identifier is hopefully enough, but `lsusb` also outputs a USB ID in the form of <4-numbers-or-a-to-f>:<4-numbers-or-a-to-f> and that uniquely (and precisely) identifies the device.

The Mobian system has 2 types of issues:
- Missing kernel modules for several devices
- The 'non-free-firmware' archive component is not enabled and thus no firmware is available or installed. Especially wifi devices often require it to function at all

Quote:The USB ethernet adapter worked with danctnix and the USB wifi adapter worked once I upgraded the device.. but after installing U-Boot and Mobian according to the instructions, while the operating system appears to function, I cannot get any level of network connectivity to hopefully get my wifi adapter functioning.

The danctnix update gave you a new kernel where some extra modules were likely enabled. Possibly some extra firmware too.
While Mobian lacks it. Even after enabling 'firmware-non-free' and installing the firmware package my wireless device needs, it still doesn't work. Which is 99% certain due to missing kernel modules, which are present in 'normal' Debian kernel (and is therefor also much larger in size).
The USB non-wireless NIC does work, but the weight of the adapter and cable likely isn't too good for my USB-C-to-A adapter.

Quote:Interestingly, both the USB to ethernet adapter and the USB wifi adapter show up under `lsusb` and there's a "usb0" connection that shows as "unavailable" when running `nmcli`, but I'm at a bit of a loss at this point for what to do now.

The kernel sees the USB ID and therefor knows what it is. But if the kernel module which would make it work isn't available, then it can't make it actually work.
I noticed the usb0 thing too, but I don't know where that's coming from.

Wifi Adapter: Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0bda:c811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 802.11ac NIC

Ethernet Adapter: Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0b95:1790 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet

Unfortunate about the Mobian kernel missing all those features..  I get it's for mobile devices usually so having all the firmware support for additional peripherals can be very unnecessary.. but..  I'd take a bloated option if it was available (at least right now until the wifi driver for the built-in hardware is cleaned up and ready for dkms or however they plan on distributing it..)

Thanks again for any input you all have.  If it does end up that I just need to wait a lot longer before I can start using the tablet daily, so be it.  (I am a lot more comfortable with debian-based systems than arch ones.. and also think phosh looks way better than plasma mobile.. or at least how it was configued for danctnix..  The UX is definitely more akin to what wanted with phosh.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PineTab2] Issues with Mobian Networking - by Cornelia Xaos - 07-30-2023, 04:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTab2 corrupted EMMC explit 5 1,286 03-27-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: oiyounutter
Video Pinetab2 camera drivers cringeops 9 1,201 03-18-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: cringeops
  eMMC backup - pinetab2 pinetar.gz 0 494 01-07-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: pinetar.gz
  Mobian Boot Problem rogerwegmann 14 4,158 12-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Mobian won't boot after ton of updates bartgrefte 11 5,066 12-10-2023, 02:47 AM
Last Post: bartgrefte
  Touch doesnt rotate on Sway in PineTab2 cgbarros 4 2,131 08-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: cgbarros
  Disabling PineTab2 physical keyboard and touchpad? johns 7 1,953 08-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: cgbarros
  Will sudo pacman -Syu brick the PineTab2? cgbarros 10 2,892 07-24-2023, 01:15 PM
Last Post: rqkeating
  Mobian - Phosh frtodd 1 1,280 06-18-2023, 04:51 AM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee
  Udemy not working on pinetab2 (danctnix) jbreese 3 1,204 06-13-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: jbreese