Will sudo pacman -Syu brick the PineTab2?
Right after I got my PineTab2 one of the first things I did was to run a sudo pacman -Syu to update the system. But after that I bricked the thing. Luckily it comes with the UART board and I saw that the kernel wasn't working (I think it was not finding it? Don't remember exactly).

I reinstalled the factory image and it's all good. But now I'm afraid of updating the system again. Is updating everything with pacman like this not recommended? Anyone had the same issue or I just got unlucky that time?
(07-15-2023, 06:21 AM)cgbarros Wrote: Right after I got my PineTab2 one of the first things I did was to run a sudo pacman -Syu to update the system. But after that I bricked the thing. Luckily it comes with the UART board and I saw that the kernel wasn't working (I think it was not finding it? Don't remember exactly).

I reinstalled the factory image and it's all good. But now I'm afraid of updating the system again. Is updating everything with pacman like this not recommended? Anyone had the same issue or I just got unlucky that time?

I didn't have any issue updating that way.

-john
Pacman is fine to update with, just be sure to have a stable internet connection and the power adapter connected to your PineTab2; nothing worse than running out of battery during an upgrade.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(07-15-2023, 06:21 AM)cgbarros Wrote: Right after I got my PineTab2 one of the first things I did was to run a sudo pacman -Syu to update the system. But after that I bricked the thing. Luckily it comes with the UART board and I saw that the kernel wasn't working (I think it was not finding it? Don't remember exactly).

I had this happen too, after reflash it updated fine. The issue seems to be that sometimes the DE crashes during the update and interrupts it.

Safest way around this is to install tmux, and then run the update in a detached tmux session. But overall it seems to be the luck of the draw.
(07-19-2023, 02:44 PM)moobythegoldensock Wrote:

I had this happen too, after reflash it updated fine. The issue seems to be that sometimes the DE crashes during the update and interrupts it.

Safest way around this is to install tmux, and then run the update in a detached tmux session. But overall it seems to be the luck of the draw.

Good point on doing it in a tmux session. I actually didn't try updating the system yet (last days were crazy busy), but will report once I do it.
I've been doing a straight up

sudo pacman -Syu

in a terminal window and haven't seen a problem yet.  Am I courting disaster this way?  It never occurred to me to use tmux.  Also, discover sometimes pops up with updates.  Is it risky to let discover do the update?

Thanks,
zoward
There's no point in doing it though because there hasn't been any updates in weeks. Unless my pacman is broken somehow, I haven't seen an update in maybe a month.

Am I wrong?
It is worth checking weekly, I had lots of applications & a firmware update from the default/standard repo.

My first set of updates downloaded, but failed to install, so I used: “sudo pacman -Syyu”

@zoward, you should be fine with pacman, if that prompt bothers you, just run that update through discover; you must’ve installed an extra through there like I did (that pop-up is annoying). Be sure to have a stable net connection & power to the device before performing any updates/upgrades.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
Thank you all. Today I finally had time to play with the PineTab2 and the update worked
(07-22-2023, 06:53 AM)acruhl Wrote: There's no point in doing it though because there hasn't been any updates in weeks. Unless my pacman is broken somehow, I haven't seen an update in maybe a month.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you should be seeing updates.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTab2 corrupted EMMC explit 5 1,131 03-27-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: oiyounutter
Video Pinetab2 camera drivers cringeops 9 998 03-18-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: cringeops
  eMMC backup - pinetab2 pinetar.gz 0 431 01-07-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: pinetar.gz
  [PineTab2] Issues with Mobian Networking Cornelia Xaos 7 2,688 12-30-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Cornelia Xaos
  Touch doesnt rotate on Sway in PineTab2 cgbarros 4 1,983 08-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: cgbarros
  Disabling PineTab2 physical keyboard and touchpad? johns 7 1,825 08-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: cgbarros
  Udemy not working on pinetab2 (danctnix) jbreese 3 1,150 06-13-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: jbreese