Pinetab completely bricked
Good evening.

I just received my pinetab2.

The wifi didn´t work under the OS installed (plasma + Archlinux).
I created a bootable SD with Etcher with Archlinux + phosh, but the system kept booting from the eMMC instead of the microSD.
I then copied the image to the pinetab and installed through dd.
The process finished, I only had the terminal screen and the rest of the GUI was gone.
I resetted and since then it simply doesn´t respond. Tried to use jumpdrive, new installations on the microSD... nothing works. It doesn´t respond t the power button.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks for your time and effort.
(06-06-2023, 04:02 PM)Saksmito Wrote: Good evening.

I just received my pinetab2.

The wifi didn´t work under the OS installed (plasma + Archlinux).
I created a bootable SD with Etcher with Archlinux + phosh, but the system kept booting from the eMMC instead of the microSD.
I then copied the image to the pinetab and installed through dd.
The process finished, I only had the terminal screen and the rest of the GUI was gone.
I resetted and since then it simply doesn´t respond. Tried to use jumpdrive, new installations on the microSD... nothing works. It doesn´t respond t the power button.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Wi-Fi is not working yet because it has no driver. It's the very first batch for early adopters and the software is still in alpha.

Jumpdrive is not released for the PineTab2, I think you are reading wrong instructions. Please make sure to follow https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineTab2#Software.
Thank you kindly for your answer.

Yes, I was following the wrong instructions.
I will try this afternoon and see if it works. Will keep you posted Smile

Thanks!!!
@fxc
Thanks a lot.
Indeed I was reading the wrong documentation.

I just tried now to install the right sw and works fine.

Cheers!!!
I too was a bit dismayed that, regardless this was still in development, I still read this quote on the order page and this alone suggested the risk of a bit of inconvenience was acceptable:

"most core functionality works but some features (e.g. cameras) remain a work-in-progress."

It seems to me that a new Linux Tablet would need to have absolutely the single most basic core capability, ie., WiFi Capability, up and fully functional, before offering it to the public.  Pointing out that the cameras don't work doesn't qualify as a core function does it?  Also driving attention to the ARM unit from the Risk one also re-enforces the perception that the first shipment of tablets would in fact provide some basic functionality.   

Saksmito, I can't offer you any suggestions how to get your device up and running, as it seems I am in for a good long wait to get any use out of mine as well. 

But in the end, I have to blame myself, for falling for a business model that seems to boast that they offer a technically superior piece of hardware, that is in fact a brick.  A brick that comes with no guarantees that it will ever be more than just that. 

I wonder if this thing will run Android, or even...Windows?
@ Schlucker

It seems to me that you did not understand or fully comprehend what “the OS is still in Beta” meant; it is in the testing phase.

WiFi, cameras and blue-tooth are certainly not the most basic core capabilities of an OS as you stated, they are “comfort” extras. A simple example of core capabilities would be a working input and output device.

I have never seen anyone say/state/claim that the PineTab 2 is a superior piece of hardware, it’s in Beta testing for god’s sake, quit trolling.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
@Schlucker

It wasn't offered to the public. It was offered to developers, without enforcement, and the public bought them anyway.

Yes, it will run android and >spit!< widows ("IOT"), eventually, given how the other similar devices are. But windows, maybe not, considering the much touted "final version of windows" is approaching end-of-life.

But again, you paid what, and expected what? We are all too spoilt by the cheapness of mass-production (which this is not).
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(06-09-2023, 08:59 AM)dachalife Wrote: @ Schlucker

It seems to me that you did not understand or fully comprehend what “the OS is still in Beta” meant; it is in the testing phase.

WiFi, cameras and blue-tooth are certainly not the most basic core capabilities of an OS as you stated, they are “comfort” extras. A simple example of core capabilities would be a working input and output device.

I have never seen anyone say/state/claim that the PineTab 2 is a superior piece of hardware, it’s in Beta testing for god’s sake, quit trolling.

My comprehension skills are more than adequate, I assure you.  I am also well cognizant of the bullying that goes on in Forums, particularly where the worst of it comes from people who think they are above all the rest when they don't like what others post.  So, believe me, having been involved with LInux since the late 90's and having also helped test beta versions of software before, I knew exactly what "in Beta" meant.  However, my purchase decision was based on what was posted on the website and the Pinestore, and only the camera was mentioned when core capabilities not yet functioning were disclosed.  No others were, yet vaguely implied to be of no significance, like the cameras.  

Critical to making sales, it's suspiciously clear to me that WiFi was not mentioned, but instead only buried in other pages offsite and therefore not linked to the e-commerce page.  Moreover, someone else posting a total absurdity in this thread has said that the pad and keyboard was never offered to the public, but only to developers....but not enforced.  The obvious result of this is that it was in fact deliberately offered to the public with the intent to generate revenue because the first Pinetab was a flop.  And therefore it was reasonable to assume developers would likely not be rushing to the cash register this time.  But more importantly, how could anyone accurately define a market segment of developers or even forecast sales that would ensure adequate revenue to support manufacturing a new tablet when obviously Pinetab could not develop the OS themselves to run it?  So clearly, Pine would have needed gullible schmucks like me to fund "their marketing plan", words I use very loosely.    You could also observe that historically, that all products are offered to the general public by Pine as a routine sales policy. But the suggestion that WiFi is a "comfort extra" is laughable.  A tablet without a working wifi is useless.  A tablet was created for the sole purpose of providing access to the internet in a compact conveniently sized device.  Without WiFi, iIt's worse than useless, it's a waste of money.  Delivering a product to the public in this state is simply wrong.  And to omit any mention of wifi lacking in the OS at the point when you offer the product for sale, is blatant obfuscation and a failure to fully disclose the risks to the buyer up front.  Compared to the alternative Risk version, where you drive off any interest in it at all, the It doesn't and Pine knew that.

This begs the question then, who benefits from this?  Pine?  The device manufacturer in China?  Or the buyer of the device?
(06-10-2023, 10:05 AM)Schlucker Wrote:
(06-09-2023, 08:59 AM)dachalife Wrote: @ Schlucker

My comprehension skills are more than adequate, I assure you.  I am also well cognizant of the bullying that goes on in Forums, particularly where the worst of it comes from people who think they are above all the rest when they don't like what others post.  So, believe me, having been involved with LInux since the late 90's and having also helped test beta versions of software before, I knew exactly what "in Beta" meant.  However, my purchase decision was based on what was posted on the website and the Pinestore, and only the camera was mentioned when core capabilities not yet functioning were disclosed.  No others were, yet vaguely implied to be of no significance, like the cameras.  

Critical to making sales, it's suspiciously clear to me that WiFi was not mentioned, but instead only buried in other pages offsite and therefore not linked to the e-commerce page.  Moreover, someone else posting a total absurdity in this thread has said that the pad and keyboard was never offered to the public, but only to developers....but not enforced.  The obvious result of this is that it was in fact deliberately offered to the public with the intent to generate revenue because the first Pinetab was a flop.  And therefore it was reasonable to assume developers would likely not be rushing to the cash register this time.  But more importantly, how could anyone accurately define a market segment of developers or even forecast sales that would ensure adequate revenue to support manufacturing a new tablet when obviously Pinetab could not develop the OS themselves to run it?  So clearly, Pine would have needed gullible schmucks like me to fund "their marketing plan", words I use very loosely.    You could also observe that historically, that all products are offered to the general public by Pine as a routine sales policy. But the suggestion that WiFi is a "comfort extra" is laughable.  A tablet without a working wifi is useless.  A tablet was created for the sole purpose of providing access to the internet in a compact conveniently sized device.  Without WiFi, iIt's worse than useless, it's a waste of money.  Delivering a product to the public in this state is simply wrong.  And to omit any mention of wifi lacking in the OS at the point when you offer the product for sale, is blatant obfuscation and a failure to fully disclose the risks to the buyer up front.  Compared to the alternative Risk version, where you drive off any interest in it at all, the It doesn't and Pine knew that.

This begs the question then, who benefits from this?  Pine?  The device manufacturer in China?  Or the buyer of the device?

It's free and open source software, please submit a patch. The Pine Store Ltd. does not write software, as in zero lines. Software comes from the community and is written in their free and unpaid time.

Mind that the Pine Store sells most devices at production cost or at loss. While their communication is not the best most of the time, it's not done maliciously. You know what they say, Hanlon's razor.

Best if you join the community chat, https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#C...nd_Support

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not able to power on PineTab anymore zkajdan 3 439 12-26-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: FortunateFowl
Question Will Pinetab 2 spare parts be available? vatin 6 1,556 12-09-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Battery discharges completely while the Tab2 is powered off between less than 24hs nonic 3 639 12-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  ?brighter screen replacement for pinetab (>1600 nits) dynobang 0 533 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: dynobang
  [Tutorial] How to overclock Pinetab 2 Darth-Apple 0 808 09-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  External Reset button on PineTab V? michaelengel 0 528 09-18-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: michaelengel
  Pinetab 2 screen no longer coming on Fibonacci 9 2,958 06-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Purple_Illusion
  What RISC-V chip will the PineTab-V use? msm 2 1,652 04-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: msm
Big Grin Howto: Pinetab Screen Replacements (+ Pictures) RTP 5 6,395 02-10-2022, 08:31 PM
Last Post: barray
  Offer: PineTab with keyboard firefox-58 3 4,690 09-27-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: stmguard