Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips
(02-08-2023, 09:02 AM)Piotr Wrote: 1/ My 1st experience was - issue with calls on 4G / Lte .  -> I forced phone to 3G only -> this has helped for connection to be established
2/ i noticed voice was low on regular call , but switching to loudspeaker  mode and then switching off loudspeaker mode was fixing  normal call audio
3/ Then for the quality of the audio (low internal mic sensitivity/gain , low internal speaker, low loudspeaker sound ) you can modify some mic gain , volume parameters in following files (i suggest to make a backup of originals Smile
/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/ HiFi.conf    [media playback profile  settings]
/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/VoiceCall.conf  [phone call profile setting]
microphone volume setting:
# Set capture volume to 0dB so modem audio doesn't overdrive the ADC
cset "name='ADC Capture Volume' 60"
cset "name='Mono ADC Capture Volume' 99"
speaker volume setting
# Limit amplification factor of earpiece amplifier so sound stays clear
cset "name='Class D SPK Ratio Control' 2.20x"
with above setting Phone call in normal mode works fine for me , but loudspeaker mode is not usable .

hi, any other suggestions for fixing loud (like white noise) whilst talking in a call?  I've followed these without an improvement. My voice sounds as I am in a rave but I am only inside my hole.
(05-10-2023, 08:26 AM)tookmeayear Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:02 AM)Piotr Wrote: 1/ My 1st experience was - issue with calls on 4G / Lte .  -> I forced phone to 3G only -> this has helped for connection to be established
2/ i noticed voice was low on regular call , but switching to loudspeaker  mode and then switching off loudspeaker mode was fixing  normal call audio
3/ Then for the quality of the audio (low internal mic sensitivity/gain , low internal speaker, low loudspeaker sound ) you can modify some mic gain , volume parameters in following files (i suggest to make a backup of originals Smile
/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/ HiFi.conf    [media playback profile  settings]
speaker volume setting
with above setting Phone call in normal mode works fine for me , but loudspeaker mode is not usable .

hi, any other suggestions for fixing loud (like white noise) whilst talking in a call?  I've followed these without an improvement. My voice sounds as I am in a rave but I am only inside my hole.
(05-11-2023, 08:51 AM)fxc Wrote:
speaker volume setting

Thank you, I have already installed Biktorgj's firmware and changed the config file as below. No improvement:

If microphone audio is too loud during phone calls ( distorted audio and lots of background noise from your side )
Then change the default value from 8 to 3 ( YMMV you may need to go a bit higher or lower, but 8 is way too much in my testing ).

I changed also

Also no improvement. Probably I am doing something wrong.
(05-12-2023, 12:50 AM)tookmeayear Wrote:
speaker volume setting

Thank you, I have already installed Biktorgj's firmware and changed the config file as below. No improvement:

If microphone audio is too loud during phone calls ( distorted audio and lots of background noise from your side )
Then change the default value from 8 to 3 ( YMMV you may need to go a bit higher or lower, but 8 is way too much in my testing ).

I changed also

Would suggest to open a bug report in the third link, if there is none there already. The FOSS firmware also has its own Matrix channel to discuss the issue but a bug report should be the priority IMO.
(05-12-2023, 07:04 AM)fxc Wrote:
speaker volume setting

I changed also

Would suggest to open a bug report in the third link, if there is none there already. The FOSS firmware also has its own Matrix channel to discuss the issue but a bug report should be the priority IMO.

megi is rewriting whole callaudio routing for PPP. Megi did wrote that to pinephone matrix group yesterday.
There is no eta - so don't expect that this becames ready in seconds.
I don't think bug reports help at the moment because megis work should fix them when the solution becames ready Smile
(05-12-2023, 07:58 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 07:04 AM)fxc Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 08:26 AM)tookmeayear Wrote: hi, any other suggestions for fixing loud (like white noise) whilst talking in a call?  I've followed these without an improvement. My voice sounds as I am in a rave but I am only inside my hole.

I changed also

megi is rewriting whole callaudio routing for PPP. Megi did wrote that to pinephone matrix group yesterday.
There is no eta - so don't expect that this becames ready in seconds.
I don't think bug reports help at the moment because megis work should fix them when the solution becames ready Smile

Thank you guys. I will open a bug report for reference and wait for the release. I haven't installed any megis kernel. Shall I give it a try? Does it worth it or do some issues already being addressed in the latest Mobian distros?
My pinephone pro has issues like the ones that other people are having: the outgoing call sound quality is harsh and full of static, but the incoming call sound quality is fine. Also, when I make a normal audio recording (not as a call) the audio quality is totally fine. (I'm using sxmo)

Are problems like these mostly limited to the PPP? If I get a normal pine phone, can I rely on it to have basic phone functionality working out of the box?
(12-02-2022, 11:19 AM)apink Wrote: This is an invitation for people to report on their experience getting audio to work on the pine phone pro during phone calls.   Please let us know the following:

1.  Are you able to get audio to work during phone calls?
  2.  If not, what are the specific problems you are having?
  3.  If so:
         a.  what operating system are you using?
         b.  what updates/tweeks need to take place after installing the OS in order for audio to work?

PinePhone Pro (bought Sunday 2-7-2023, order completed 5-7, shipped 6-7, received in Brussels Monday 11-7-2023).
Mobian (weekly) mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230709.img.
I called my daughter who said hearing me very low, nearly not understandable. The incoming sound of her voice was perfect.
I read somewhere about using alsamixer, which I did. As a result, receiving a call, no sound at all (in and out).
I could not find a better way to revert the changes than reinstalling, this time mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230606.img.
Same situation calling my daughter. I asked her to call me. Same problem with an incoming call: good voice from the other side, very weak from my side.
But there is some outgoing sound at least. (Answer to question 1: yes, but not satisfactorily.) How could I improve the sound from the microphone (in phone call mode) without breaking everything?
(07-12-2023, 02:13 PM)DominiqueM Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 11:19 AM)apink Wrote: This is an invitation for people to report on their experience getting audio to work on the pine phone pro during phone calls.   Please let us know the following:

1.  Are you able to get audio to work during phone calls?
  2.  If not, what are the specific problems you are having?
  3.  If so:
         a.  what operating system are you using?
         b.  what updates/tweeks need to take place after installing the OS in order for audio to work?

PinePhone Pro (bought Sunday 2-7-2023, order completed 5-7, shipped 6-7, received in Brussels Monday 11-7-2023).
Mobian (weekly) mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230709.img.
I called my daughter who said hearing me very low, nearly not understandable. The incoming sound of her voice was perfect.
I read somewhere about using alsamixer, which I did. As a result, receiving a call, no sound at all (in and out).
I could not find a better way to revert the changes than reinstalling, this time mobian-pinephonepro-phosh-20230606.img.
Same situation calling my daughter. I asked her to call me. Same problem with an incoming call: good voice from the other side, very weak from my side.
But there is some outgoing sound at least. (Answer to question 1: yes, but not satisfactorily.) How could I improve the sound from the microphone (in phone call mode) without breaking everything?

Fast fix is this:
https://gitlab.com/pine64-org/pine64-als...-/issues/5
After that change and reboot you will have decent mic out and no-one will not complain.
But unfortunately that is not enough in all scenarios:
https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/issues/2016

And regarding to that second issue there is also "third" big issue which is related how callaudiod will handle microphone changes when you toggle speaker on (and off). I wrote something about that in that issue comments but I am not sure where that is coming from - is it ucm files or callaudiod or maybe modem?

I am trying to understand it and trying to make some solution what works but I am not best (or even good) person to do this so don't expect anything happen soon Big Grin
I do not like the idea of modifying in /usr because it is against the spirit of Linux and lost in upgrade. I would like to override only the 47 with 160, say in /etc. Suppose I write something as
SectionVerb {
EnableSequence [
cset "name='ADC Capture Volume' 160"
cset "name='Mono ADC Capture Volume' 160"
]
DisableSequence [
]
Value {
TQ "HiFi"
}
}
1. Will this override only the value 47 or override and break all of PinePhonePro.conf? 2. Where, under what name, in which file under /etc/alsa? (I never did such a thing in my life.)

Rules are rules… but I could not wait, so I did
sudo sed -i 's/47/160/g' /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/VoiceCall.conf
sudo sed -i 's/47/160/g' /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/HiFi.conf
and it works perfectly. Thanks to all the people who ever mentioned 47 and 160.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 15 1,905 1 hour ago
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Battery life thread: discussion, support and tips apink 6 2,028 09-22-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: tookmeayear
  Guide to Suitable Phone State Borealid 19 10,752 09-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: robocone
  Phone Attitude(Device orientation) lurkadillian 2 1,062 06-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: lurkadillian
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,534 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Mobian has new separate packages to support the PinePhone Pro mburns 22 7,407 04-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Pine Phone won't boot into recovery mode ninjapig26@gmail.com 3 1,792 02-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: fxc
  [Mobian] No return from locked phone arno_nuehm 1 1,037 02-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Making and receiving calls via command line Zotax 0 835 01-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Zotax
  Phone shuts down unexpectedly Hobgoblin 3 1,622 12-20-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Fish