bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro.
bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro.

this is a discussion of bookworm vs trixie and maybe staging. so like possible problems and how to fix them. which one is better, and how well it works. here are some generic arguments.

arguments for bookworm:
- stable.
- basics work.
- do not have dependency problems, or broken packages.
- smooth security updates.

arguments against bookworm:
- gets outdated.
- some features are missing, because pinephone is a beta product.
- stuck to the older kernel.

arguments for trixie:
- newer packages.
- features, which are missing in older versions.
- newer kernel.

arguments against trixie:
- dependency nightmare, broken packages.
- some thing do not work, because of unstable packages.

in both cases users have the choose between which audio routing they use, i don't know which one is default.
"pipewire-pulse"
"pulseaudio"

because pinephone pro is beta product, it practically means that users usually need to go on trixie. i recently updated pp pro into trixie, and it seems ok. however, there was dependency issues, so update is not smooth. more information later, how it goes. pp pro is not stuck to lts kernel, unlike pp regular (might be temporary issue though).
(11-04-2023, 01:31 PM)zetabeta Wrote: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro.

I'm rather shocked at the "dependency nightmare, broken packages" item as that really shouldn't happen on Trixie.
I run Sid/Unstable on my main PC and even there it rarely happens, but on Sid such things should be expected to happen from time to time.
Not so on Trixie/Testing. That really should be rather smooth sailing.
Sometimes the transition of KDE packages from Unstable to Trixie is suboptimal, but that's really the only one I know.

This is based on Debian (PC/laptop/Pine64 SBCs), but that shouldn't differ much from Mobian.
Can you share examples/logs?

Quote:in both cases users have the choose between which audio routing they use, i don't know which one is default.
"pipewire-pulse"
"pulseaudio"

pipewire is the default since Bookworm, so also on Trixie.
I read somewhere that people have both installed and one should NOT do that. Use one OR the other, not both.

EDIT: Please report those dependency and broken packages issue to Mobian's Matrix channel(s). AFAIK they don't follow these forums.
(11-05-2023, 08:25 AM)diederik Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 01:31 PM)zetabeta Wrote: bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro.

I'm rather shocked at the "dependency nightmare, broken packages" item as that really shouldn't happen on Trixie.
I run Sid/Unstable on my main PC and even there it rarely happens, but on Sid such things should be expected to happen from time to time.
Not so on Trixie/Testing. That really should be rather smooth sailing.
Sometimes the transition of KDE packages from Unstable to Trixie is suboptimal, but that's really the only one I know.

This is based on Debian (PC/laptop/Pine64 SBCs), but that shouldn't differ much from Mobian.
Can you share examples/logs?

Quote:in both cases users have the choose between which audio routing they use, i don't know which one is default.
"pipewire-pulse"
"pulseaudio"

pipewire is the default since Bookworm, so also on Trixie.
I read somewhere that people have both installed and one should NOT do that. Use one OR the other, not both.

EDIT: Please report those dependency and broken packages issue to Mobian's Matrix channel(s). AFAIK they don't follow these forums.

maybe "dependency nightmare" was a rather strong word. but i use aptitude rather than apt-get, i regularly encounter some kind of issues, usually not big. aptitude has resolver to look for proposals. it seems that problem now seems to be same in desktop sid x86-64 and mobian trixie.

some packages needed to be in older version, i think in next week this is resolved somehow.

(11-05-2023, 05:12 PM)zetabeta Wrote: maybe "dependency nightmare" was a rather strong word. but i use aptitude rather than apt-get, i regularly encounter some kind of issues, usually not big. aptitude has resolver to look for proposals. it seems that problem now seems to be same in desktop sid x86-64 and mobian trixie.

some packages needed to be in older version, i think in next week this is resolved somehow.

I use aptitude too (but the CLI interface, not the TUI) and aptitude is great in resolving dependency issues.
It looks like this is about the 'initial' upgrade from Bookworm to Trixie and that can indeed cause such issues. But upgrades in Trixie should be rather smooth. My surprise was because great strides have been made in the last couple of years to improve on that ... to the point it has become 'boring' (to me).
Removing pulseaudio resulted in an installation of pipewire-pulse!
pinephone pro, trixie and pipewire. at least one outgoing call was like creaky voice, it did not repeat when retrying. however, this may not be trixie vs bookworm issue.
Out of interest Is the custom firmware PinePhonePro "non-free-fimware" covered in Trixie as it is with Bookworm as well ? I'm assuming it will still need to be done manually and the packages are correctly supported in Trixie ? Making the "mother of all" Assumptions here ? Wink

https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/20...-firmware/
The Camera and Megapixel apps in Trixie are not working. So, I copied the Megapixel files and my customizations from an older installation of Mobian.

The Tootle app is no longer in the repositories, so I copied the files from an older installation and then did a schema compile to get the app working. The desktop file needs a complete pointer to the location of the icon.

A capabilities problem with the Bubblewrap package prevents the Web app from starting. There is also an incompatibility of Mobian setup with Google Accounts that can prevent the Web app from starting. The app can be started from the command line, though; epiphany-browser is the executable name.

Someone could comment on getting the PinePhone Keyboard working in Trixie. But a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard work in Trixie.
(11-18-2023, 07:09 AM)crocspot Wrote: Out of interest Is the custom firmware PinePhonePro "non-free-fimware" covered in Trixie as it is with Bookworm as well ? I'm assuming it will still need to be done manually and the packages are correctly supported in Trixie ? Making the "mother of all" Assumptions here ? Wink

https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/20...-firmware/

short version, yes "non-free-firmware" is required for both mobian and debian in trixie pp pro. it seems that at the moment, there isn't any crucial non-free-firmware packages in mobian, but there is in debian. however, mobian team may put crucial packages into non-free-firmware mobian section.
(11-18-2023, 07:58 AM)mburns Wrote: The Camera and Megapixel apps in Trixie are not working. So, I copied the Megapixel files and my customizations from an older installation of Mobian.

The Tootle app is no longer in the repositories, so I copied the files from an older installation and then did a schema compile to get the app working. The desktop file needs a complete pointer to the location of the icon.

A capabilities problem with the Bubblewrap package prevents the Web app from starting. There is also an incompatibility of Mobian setup with Google Accounts that can prevent the Web app from starting. The app can be started from the command line, though; epiphany-browser is the executable name.

Someone could comment on getting the PinePhone Keyboard working in Trixie. But a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard work in Trixie.

The Web application is now working in Trixie Mobian, but not with Google approval.

Drivers for the cameras, or their invocation, have been dropped in the most recent update of Trixie Mobian. I am not sure if restoring the specific PinePhone Pro support package will work for this issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices Ulfnic 60 45,214 02-13-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips apink 42 12,559 12-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: apink
  Disable the GDM service in Mobian. mburns 0 467 11-25-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: mburns
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 842 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 977 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  The Mobian Phosh Experience mburns 1 890 11-18-2023, 08:21 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Fix the Mobian Weather App mburns 0 501 11-07-2023, 10:01 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 710 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Mobian Phosh Gnome Software Is Recommending A Broken Update. mburns 0 602 10-14-2023, 11:57 AM
  Battery life thread: discussion, support and tips apink 6 2,023 09-22-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: tookmeayear