Battery life thread: discussion, support and tips
This is an invitation to discuss the status and development of ppp battery life using various software configurations.  Please feel free to let us know the following;
    -the os you are using,
    -your battery life performance:
        -idle performance,
        -active use performance,
    -any tweaks or settings that helped with your system.

I am currently using postmarketos edge and getting around 4 hours battery life while suspended and around 1 hour while doing light browsing, depending on screen brightness.
(08-09-2023, 12:50 PM)apink Wrote:
This is an invitation to discuss the status and development of ppp battery life using various software configurations.  Please feel free to let us know the following;
    -the os you are using,
    -your battery life performance:
        -idle performance,
        -active use performance
    -any tweaks or settings that helped with your system

I use Arch/sxmo mainly, also Arch/phosh (See setup details here.)
In suspend mode get way more than 24 hours - would need to check Megi's pages but think he calculated 36 or so theoretically. I much prefer sxmo in general, but specifically to suspend you KNOW it is suspended when the LED stops flashing!
Active use (browsing, email, telegram, some mpv) maybe 3-4 hours

Note the default cpu governor in Danct12 Arch images is conservative: I change my default to schedutil as don't see the point of permanently doping my cpu. In theory bad for battery but what I get is still fine.
Hoping that I can improve my active use life if I can get Megi's DRAM scaling working.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(08-10-2023, 03:40 AM)dukla200 Wrote: I use Arch/sxmo mainly, also Arch/phosh (See setup details here.)
In suspend mode get way more than 24 hours - would need to check Megi's pages but think he calculated 36 or so theoretically. I much prefer sxmo in general, but specifically to suspend you KNOW it is suspended when the LED stops flashing!
Active use (browsing, email, telegram, some mpv) maybe 3-4 hours

Note the default cpu governor in Danct12 Arch images is conservative: I change my default to schedutil as don't see the point of permanently doping my cpu. In theory bad for battery but what I get is still fine.
Hoping that I can improve my active use life if I can get Megi's DRAM scaling working.

I just put arch/phosh on the microsd card and am getting a long life (24 hours or more) in suspend mode.  However the ppp is not picking up phone calls.  Is this the same experience you are having, dukla200?  Or do you get 24 hours battery life with phone capabilities while on suspend?
(08-12-2023, 12:04 AM)apink Wrote: I just put arch/phosh on the microsd card and am getting a long life (24 hours or more) in suspend mode.  However the ppp is not picking up phone calls.  Is this the same experience you are having, dukla200?  Or do you get 24 hours battery life with phone capabilities while on suspend?

For me it has been impossible to get calls trough with stock modem firmware while suspended - usb connection resets every time and it happens with all distros.
With Biktorgjs firmware and recommended settings it works at least in Arch Phosh and Pmos phosh.
https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pinephone_modem_sdk
(08-12-2023, 12:27 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(08-12-2023, 12:04 AM)apink Wrote: I just put arch/phosh on the microsd card and am getting a long life (24 hours or more) in suspend mode.  However the ppp is not picking up phone calls.  Is this the same experience you are having, dukla200?  Or do you get 24 hours battery life with phone capabilities while on suspend?

For me it has been impossible to get calls trough with stock modem firmware while suspended - usb connection resets every time and it happens with all distros.
With Biktorgjs firmware and recommended settings it works at least in Arch Phosh and Pmos phosh.
https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pinephone_modem_sdk

how many hours do you get whilst receiving calls?
(09-22-2023, 05:58 AM)tookmeayear Wrote: how many hours do you get whilst receiving calls?

If you mean that the phone just sits suspended and only modem is alive waiting for calls or sms it will be something between 36-48 hours.
It depends how good network is and is the phone still or moving (like in car or sitting in the office desk).
(09-22-2023, 11:44 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(09-22-2023, 05:58 AM)tookmeayear Wrote: how many hours do you get whilst receiving calls?

If you mean that the phone just sits suspended and only modem is alive waiting for calls or sms it will be something between 36-48 hours.
It depends how good network is and is the phone still or moving (like in car or sitting in the office desk).

Thank you, this makes it usable for me then. I will try again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 14 1,881 Yesterday, 05:40 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips apink 42 12,569 12-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: apink
  [Mobian] : Battery consumption and OS compatibility freelectro 2 1,085 06-02-2023, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  Phosh Updating - Battery Charge Indicator - Jittery Settings - Display Usability ArchiMark 4 1,420 05-28-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: ArchiMark
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,530 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Mobian has new separate packages to support the PinePhone Pro mburns 22 7,402 04-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Battery meter slowly reducing under keyboard charger robocone 1 1,374 12-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: robocone
Exclamation PPP Battery drain + hot CPU GPU Piotr 2 1,555 12-09-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Piotr
  Battery status always "Charging" dabigjhall 2 1,803 03-16-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: maltee
  Boot Discussion in PPP Wiki Needs Clarifications tckosvic 7 4,164 02-06-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: lllsondowlll