Concerns about Linux future
Hi folks,
I do plenty of reading through various sites on various Linux related topics and something I have noted is this potential cosiness between Microsoft/Google and Linux kernels. There was some banter where Google stated they seek the complete removal of any Linux distribution and lately I have been seeing some indications of possibly Libreoffice charging for their applications. Sounds like MS Office to me. I think that it might be prudent to seriously consider downloading the last stable version of something and make that final. No updates, no upgrades - seal that distro and package system in cement. Even on my Pinephone and I have now eliminated any updates after this last Phosh scenario. Just as US stocks are in free fall so is my trust in digital [on line] systems. 
I think that not updating but continuing to research things is a best way to cover yur butt.
Chief the Cat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.
What's wrong with Libre Office charging for their binaries (as long as they are still free software)?
(10-01-2022, 05:57 PM)captainmorgan Wrote: What's wrong with Libre Office charging for their binaries (as long as they are still free software)?

As I understand this they would be charging like MS Office.
Am I incorrect about this as an average user?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(10-01-2022, 08:39 PM)Chief Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 05:57 PM)captainmorgan Wrote: What's wrong with Libre Office charging for their binaries (as long as they are still free software)?

As I understand this they would be charging like MS Office.

You are free as in freedom, not as in free beer to fork libre office and do whatever you want with it.
(10-01-2022, 08:39 PM)Chief Wrote: As I understand this they would be charging like MS Office.

Got a link to more info about this?

I don't see how they could use the same model as MS Office unless the copyright of the entire code base is owned by a single entity and they are willing to abandon their developer community.

If they've found a profitable free software business model then I'm all for it. Developing software is not easy and takes a lot of time, if you can make some money from it then that's generally a good a thing, as long as the software is not proprietary.
All software and source-code which is released for free use under copyright/copyleft is just that... FREE! Let them do as they like, attempting to turn it into a closed product. Just take the freely usable code already out there and fork off, changing the name and writing fresh independently developed code to imitate any "new" features. You have to understand that LibreOffice was once OpenOffice was once StarOffrice which was released as freeware by Sun Microsystems in retaliation for some perceived misdeed by their competitor Microsoft, who at the time was charging many hundreds of dollars for a single user license for Microsoft Office.

Once the cat is out of the bag, no-one's going so be able to put it back.
 while(!(succeed=try()));
(10-02-2022, 04:34 AM)captainmorgan Wrote:
(10-01-2022, 08:39 PM)Chief Wrote: As I understand this they would be charging like MS Office.

Got a link to more info about this?

I don't see how they could use the same model as MS Office unless the copyright of the entire code base is owned by a single entity and they are willing to abandon their developer community.

If they've found a profitable free software business model then I'm all for it. Developing software is not easy and takes a lot of time, if you can make some money from it then that's generally a good a thing, as long as the software is not proprietary.

It was something I read in Odysee.com in the tech section. There are other articles as well related to this subject.
My concern is that I see a changing environment.
LibreOffice is not going all out and charging for every binary. Per sources (here's one: https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/20/l...acos_fees/ ) What they're actually doing is starting to charge for LibreOffice only when acquired through the macOS App Store. Previously, this was a free download, but it's hard to fault the decision to charge for the binaries specifically through the macOS App Store considering that it has the highest cost of entry of all other app markets. They aren't the only open source for macOS to make this decision, either. I use a few apps on my Macs, and happily pay the $5-10 to support the developers and have the ease of automated updates to the apps.

I'm sorry, but I think your concerns are wildly overblown and not fully educated on the matter(s) of which they focus on.
(10-03-2022, 08:34 AM)tophneal Wrote: LibreOffice is not going all out and charging for every binary. Per sources (here's one: https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/20/l...acos_fees/ ) What they're actually doing is starting to charge for LibreOffice only when acquired through the macOS App Store. Previously, this was a free download, but it's hard to fault the decision to charge for the binaries specifically through the macOS App Store considering that it has the highest cost of entry of all other app markets. They aren't the only open source for macOS to make this decision, either. I use a few apps on my Macs, and happily pay the $5-10 to support the developers and have the ease of automated updates to the apps.

I'm sorry, but I think your concerns are wildly overblown and not fully educated on the matter(s) of which they focus on.

My concerns overall are actually beyond the scope of my point here. No I don't know the actual details of what Libreoffice may / might do however my retired government status says yes we may be in for some problems. Chances are you are not educated in this area whereas I am and retired from it but what I am saying is that even the smallest indication of change is the prelude for other changes. Those changes are in progress and this can't be denied. Take note of these small changes because there will be many more.
i know that linux kernel development has some corporate backers. the most problematic could be google, google has fuchsia os, i still believe that fuchsia kernel will replace android kernel eventually, at that point there is no linux in android. in the end, google wants more control of devices, fuchsia licenses are more lax.

microsoft may not be that bad, because microsoft is more like cloud company and uses multiple platforms. windows os is not primary product for ms anymore.

i don't think libreoffice is only open source project to charge something from users. i don't remember which, but some project had free version and premium version for additional support and/or cloud services. however, apple takes 30% cut from those app purchases, so are buyers of libreoffice supporting apple or libreoffice project.

edit: typos: fuchsia

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xz package is severely affected with injected code in some linux distributions. zetabeta 0 175 03-29-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Has anyone successfully flashed an Ox64 (128Mb) from linux? slondr 3 1,868 02-12-2024, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Pavlos1
  google will take control of android in the future. zetabeta 6 1,138 12-07-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: mannzrespouse
  [Article] Ox64 BL808 RISC-V SBC: Booting Linux and (maybe) Apache NuttX RTOS lupyuen 2 825 11-04-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,516 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  [Article] Booting RISC-V Linux on Star64 JH7110 SBC lupyuen 3 1,474 07-05-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  [Article] Inspecting the RISC-V Linux Images for Star64 SBC lupyuen 3 1,324 06-29-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  Online Linux Terminals palak231 1 977 09-13-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Linux desktop on a Snapdragon 870 phone. Vasant 0 1,252 06-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Vasant
  Linux support for RK3588 adiboc 0 3,349 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: adiboc