which distro + DE are you using these days on the Pinebook Pro?
quite some time has passed since the last similar thread was posted. the list of available Linux distributions has grown massively.

which distro and desktop environment are you using, and why?

what are its strengths and weaknesses compared to other combos?
I bought it to run Ubuntu MATE, but it does not do that.

The audio volume is so low that it is mostly useless to me.  And as a new Linux user, I did not anticipate the differences in Manjaro and Ubuntu.

Provide Ubuntu MATE support and maybe I can use external speakers.  But oh - was there a problem with audio and video sync also?
Armbian are finally publishing some desktop images now.  Although I almost hesitate to recommend them as it's early days for desktop, so I would not expect them to be as stable and polished as the headless / server images are for Supported SBCs for instance.  Graphical environments are much more complex.

Having said that, someone raving about how well their PBP was working (with one of said images) in #armbian was what got me looking more at Pine64 in the first place, so there is that...  Smile
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
I have not run a Linux distru on mine in some time. My wife still runs Manjaro, but I suspect the reason that I never have to fix it is that I have only updated it once in the past year.

I have found that NetBSD with KDE4 does everything that I need my PBP to do, albeit the inbuilt WiFi still does not work.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Debian Sid here. Almost stock - just extra acpid hackery for speakers muting/unmuting on headphones plugging/unplugging, WiFi/BT firmware, asound.state with immutable flag. Oh, and u-boot-rockchip from Debian Experimental. The only thing that doesn't work is deep sleep.

I installed mine completely manually, doing essentially the same thing that debootstrap does automatically, but official SD card image with u-boot from experimental should work too, though partitioning would likely need to be done manually and u-boot also needs to be installed separately from experimental.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
Manjaro & i3.

Find it to be pretty snappy, and the Manjaro i3 ISO has some nice defaults and everything works.
I've tried quite a few distros on the PBP. The best experience I've had is Sven Kiljan's Arch Linux: https://github.com/SvenKiljan/archlinuxarm-pbp.
(07-14-2021, 10:45 PM)moonwalkers Wrote: Debian Sid here. Almost stock - just extra acpid hackery for speakers muting/unmuting on headphones plugging/unplugging, WiFi/BT firmware, asound.state with immutable flag. Oh, and u-boot-rockchip from Debian Experimental. The only thing that doesn't work is deep sleep.

I installed mine completely manually, doing essentially the same thing that debootstrap does automatically, but official SD card image with u-boot from experimental should work too, though partitioning would likely need to be done manually and u-boot also needs to be installed separately from experimental.

why did you choose Debian Sid?

I'm asking because I'm after a distro and DE combo that provides the greatest performance and stability on the Pinebook Pro. (I should have pointed out in the opening post.)

(07-15-2021, 07:10 AM)jms429 Wrote: Manjaro & i3.

Find it to be pretty snappy, and the Manjaro i3 ISO has some nice defaults and everything works.

thanks. which desktop environment do you think is the best?
Debian 11 Bullseye (aka Testing, but will remain with it after release) + Mate. It covers all my needs.
Better to ask us which one is right for you. In that case, please tell is what you already prefer.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 439 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,110 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,912 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,610 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,922 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,322 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 606 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap