Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?
(09-18-2022, 06:16 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i mostly likely have to shy away from daily driver (temporarily, i wish), reason what i call flipping frames bug. practically all o.s.'s and u.i.'s are affected. i don't know about pinephone pro, which also uses mali gpu chip. pp pro lima driver may have same bug but it's still slightly different gpu.

if device just randomly crashes within a day, it is just intolerable to me.

https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/issues/805
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/460

That one surely is annoying, and I have run into it on postmarketOS 22.06 (which I currently daily drive), too - but fortunately not to often (at most twice a week, but I've also gone through weeks without running into this bug) and only in active use, meaning I could then act and did not run into the really bad "the phone is non-operational, but I don't know about it" situation.

Please note: While I don't recommend daily-driving the PinePhone Pro at this point (short battery life, still early state of hardware enablement), it definitely won't be affected by bugs in the lima driver (and. While it also uses ARM Mali graphics, the PinePhone Pro's GPU is supported by the panfrost driver, so it's definitely not affected by this.
I was using the original Pinephone (with Mobian) for daily use. I am forced to stop because of an update (about a week ago) resulted inability to make calls or texts. I have a Pinephone Pro but that did not work either. So, I am using a dumb phone as my daily driver, which I like a lot, and the pinephone as a media player and internet device. I hope to return to using Pinephone as a daily driver someday.
(10-01-2022, 02:35 AM)drh Wrote: I was using the original Pinephone (with Mobian) for daily use. I am forced to stop because of an update (about a week ago) resulted inability to make calls or texts. I have a Pinephone Pro but that did not work either. So, I am using a dumb phone as my daily driver, which I like a lot, and the pinephone as a media player and internet device. I hope to return to using Pinephone as a daily driver someday.

I had similar problems with mobian, now on arch everyhthing is working and much more stable
(09-18-2022, 06:16 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i put it here instead of separate thread.

i mostly likely have to shy away from daily driver (temporarily, i wish), reason what i call flipping frames bug. practically all o.s.'s and u.i.'s are affected. i don't know about pinephone pro, which also uses mali gpu chip. pp pro lima driver may have same bug but it's still slightly different gpu.

edit: typos

saying as intermediary point, definitely not final.

this bug can be avoided with 95% certainty with following.

Code:
## this could be a battery waster!

## one time
$ echo -1 >/sys/devices/platform/soc/1c40000.gpu/power/autosuspend_delay_ms
## as a udev file, like "/lib/udev/rules.d/98-flipbug.rules"
KERNEL=="1c40000.gpu", SUBSYSTEM=="platform", DRIVER=="lima", ATTR{power/autosuspend_delay_ms}="-1"
## you could try this if concerned about battery life
KERNEL=="1c40000.gpu", SUBSYSTEM=="platform", DRIVER=="lima", ATTR{power/autosuspend_delay_ms}="5000"

however, i think some fishy is going on because this bug has happened with above. definately makes bug more rare. so, i will give more informaton when i find out. one theory is frequency change, as a addition to sleep, frequency change may jam the gpu. suggestion: fix gpu frequency to 120000000, 3120000000 or 432000000.
(10-01-2022, 02:35 AM)drh Wrote: I was using the original Pinephone (with Mobian) for daily use. I am forced to stop because of an update (about a week ago) resulted inability to make calls or texts. I have a Pinephone Pro but that did not work either. So, I am using a dumb phone as my daily driver, which I like a lot, and the pinephone as a media player and internet device. I hope to return to using Pinephone as a daily driver someday.

I'm in the same situation. Just a friendly tip - if you use the image released in September and do a few extra steps the phone works fine. You have to patch glib to resolve some crashes and I personally built chatty and gnome-calls from the latest source code. Obviously, updating afterward will break this; so if the very latest patches are a must for you this advice won't help much.

What I am using now has all major features working and reliably receives and sends calls. It seems the secret is to build those two core apps from the latest source code.
(09-18-2022, 06:16 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i put it here instead of separate thread.

i mostly likely have to shy away from daily driver (temporarily, i wish), reason what i call flipping frames bug. practically all o.s.'s and u.i.'s are affected. i don't know about pinephone pro, which also uses mali gpu chip. pp pro lima driver may have same bug but it's still slightly different gpu.

edit: typos

The daily driver routine for me as well is off. I have noted several problems including Evolution crash in Arch Phosh. My observations at this point are that Postmarket Plasma still work well except the typical Plasma HDMI issues from time to time. Also I'm testing Postmarket Phosh and so far it appears OK. Since the Plasma shell appears to be unaffected I'm guessin' that it's a Phosh related issue. Perhaps Phosh that deals with PureOS has made some changes?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PureTalk work with Pinephone? car46999 1 139 11-21-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone power consumption figures? girl 5 881 11-01-2022, 09:21 AM
Last Post: tunnelstrong
  SELLING: Pinephone 3GB RAM 32GB ROM gerstavros 12 2,949 10-24-2022, 02:51 PM
Last Post: gerstavros
  Pinephone for sale in Europe tiho 7 2,921 10-19-2022, 05:35 AM
Last Post: peatord
  No sms receival on Arch Phosh Pinephone pineuser0 2 312 10-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  Instructions to get pinephone working on USA carrier omarcomputing 1 334 10-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Shocked Slow Teathering With PinePhone kujo_marble 10 944 10-08-2022, 04:38 PM
  pinephone-support package not upgradable on Mobian fhireman 4 648 09-24-2022, 08:01 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Tow-boot on Pinephone beta edition saddamus 10 1,143 09-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Last Post: saddamus
  Satellite Communications on Pinephone(beat Apple!) biketool 3 678 09-11-2022, 12:23 AM
Last Post: biketool