Let's talk about safety of Pinephone
Thanks for the writeup, megous. I am just not ordering a PinePhone.. and while my Linux skills are intermediate, I am by no means a developer... I do hope to contribute to the project in ways that I can, but they will be limited to my experience levels for sure...

I appreciate the discussion and topics you brought up; furthermore, I will certainly take more precautions that I originally anticipated when I do have the hardware in my hands. I knew that this wasn't a fully-cooked Linux Phone that I could replace my iPhone with... but I originally had thought I could use it as phone #2 and switch over fully when OSes became cooked enough. Now, I understand that this phone is more like.... phone hardware, coupled with OSes that are being developed and not in any way ready for prime time... that the phone hardware I'm ordering is way more for testing and attempting to get nearer to a final product phase.

Being the tinkerer that I am, even at my experience level, this is still something I want to get my hands on... I have dreams of one day owning a device that is as powerful as my iPhone, running a linux system that I can plug into a monitor or network and USE as a Linux box... with a phone for use as my daily driver. I thought that the PinePhone hardware could be made into exactly this. Now, I think that both the software AND hardware will have to be further developed before this can be a reality...

I would bet that if we ever get close or to that end, new hardware would be needed... with the fine tuned hardware that this development and research the community is doing now is providing. Regardless of that, I still want to be involved. Tongue

Thanks, tho for bringing up topics that should be considered by anyone who's using the PinePhone hardware. I'm still excited for what it CAN do today... even if there are more limitations than I first thought.

I'm going to follow your blog, and certainly the forum here.. and also try to get in one ONE development OS that I choose. What current one do YOU think has the best possibility of becoming capable of being a daily-driver phone OS? I guess I have two things on my wishlist that maybe I need to separate: Having a full Linux system and having a Linux based PHONE OS. Anyway, I'd love to hear what your picks are.

Anyway I wrote a book - all I wanted to say was THANKS..
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s

Messages In This Thread
Let's talk about safety of Pinephone - by megous - 09-18-2020, 04:43 PM
Let's talk about safety of Pinephone - by eKeith - 09-20-2020, 08:11 AM
RE: Let's talk about safety of Pinephone - by Paulie420 - 09-20-2020, 01:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 577 Today, 05:56 AM
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 353 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 235 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 109,083 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,799 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 610 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,370 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 498 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,698 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,965 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma