UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant)
(06-10-2021, 04:02 PM)calinb Wrote: The latest multi-distro image was working great on my SD card until recently. For unknown reasons, multi-distro now always boots to Arch Linux ARM 2021-06-02 (terminal only) when I power it up with the power button. The only way I can access the multi-distro menu and boot something else is by unplugging and re-plugging the USB power cable or wall wort power supply. When I toggle power in this manner, I get the usual multi-distro menu with the Arch Linux ARM  2021-06-02 menu selection highlighted but the text is green, instead of white like the other OS selections. I don't remember it being green in the past but I don't recall the previous color with high confidence.

Does anyone know what caused this change in multi-distro behavior and how it might be corrected, other than re-flashing my SD card with the multi-distro image?

Also, it is a bit of a problem to have Arch Linux ARM 2021-06-02 as the default highlighted selection in multi-boot, because it's too easy to unintentionally boot it by accidentally pressing the single power button instead of pressing rocker button to highlight the desired selection. (It often happens to me when I'm trying to remove the back cover on the phone.)  I'd prefer a windowed Linux selection as the default highlighted selection or maybe "Power-off." (Actually, I'd most prefer the default highlighted selection to be the eMMC boot, but perhaps not everyone has an OS installed on their eMMC). Given the Arch terminal CLI only, it is necessary to either power off the phone with the power button (hold it down) or hook up a USB keyboard to logon and "sudo poweroff" or "sudo reboot" to cleanly shut down Arch.
What probably happened was at some point the Arch Linux ARM distro was selected as the boot default, likely by accidentally holding the power button over it instead of just pushing it. Holding power will highlight that distro on the p-boot menu, indicating it will now default boot to this distro. To boot to the p-boot menu instead, hold the volume down button while you press the power button. In the menu, you can then hold the power button while over a distro you prefer as default, which will get highlighted and boot on power unless the volume down key is held. 

There's more boot configuration options and I would assume it's possible to unhighlight the default without selecting a new one, but I can't seem to find that info in the documentation. @megous, if you're able to clarify if that setting can be cleared and the other boot config options or point to where these are documented, that would be very useful info. This bootloader and multi-distro images have made the PinePhone much more rewarding to mess around with!

Messages In This Thread
RE: UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant) - by lordnahte2 - 06-11-2021, 09:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 617 04-25-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 366 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 245 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 109,582 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,854 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 622 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,408 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 509 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,728 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,998 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma