PMOS Community Edition phones
1)  Will a GUI user be able to use a PMOS Community Edition phone ?

2) Will a PMOS Community Edition phone still default to boot from an sd card ?
Same hardware, so yes, it will boot from SD.

The GUI is the same as Mobian. So, you'll have to decide if it meets your needs. I find the interface very simple. If you mean you don't ever want to see a command line again, that's not possible even in Windows . But, Mobian, Ubuntu touch, lune, and sailfish will each get you close to that goal. They are all very mature and polished.
Thanks for your reply Rocket,
  However it seems some OSes or installs do not have the boot instructions for the sd card when they are installed to the eMMC.  The actual boot 'instructions' are on the eMMC, but some installs do not include them.
( This is stated in the wiki)
So that is a software item not hardware.
  Since I do not feel I have the ability to correct a boot problem on the eMMC after it happens, I need to double check before I put software on that I cannot change or correct.
I realize that those that can do the Developer terminal stuff would have no problem changing or recovering from this.  I see the pages of code that many post that they can modify or change to accomplish what they need to do.
  I can install OSes and make minor adjustments, etc...

> There are a few hardware changes as far as the main board revisions, 1.1,  1.2,  1.2a
I have seen them mentioned, however I would like to find slightly better descriptions on those.

I have been using Linux since the 1990's
 My own method of correcting problems is to simply wipe and do a fresh installation, rather than open a terminal and "Fix" the software.

* On my Pinebook Pro I can remove the eMMC and use my 'usb to eMMC adapter' to reflash the eMMC,  but that is not possible on my Pine phone.
PMOS Community Edition:  is this main board revision 1.2  or  1.2a  ?

What are the differences ?   I have seen minor mentions, but not detailed reports on this.

I saw someone mention  1.2b  and 1.2c  but I think they were mistaken. ?
 That would equal more changes than there have been releases of main boards.

( I think Don't be evil was 1.0  -   Brave Heart was 1.1 - UT Community edition was 1.2 ) ?

Thanks,
B.C.
(08-09-2020, 03:25 PM)bcnaz Wrote: PMOS Community Edition:  is this main board revision 1.2  or  1.2a  ?

What are the differences ?   I have seen minor mentions, but not detailed reports on this.

I saw someone mention  1.2b  and 1.2c  but I think they were mistaken. ?
 That would equal more changes than there have been releases of main boards.

( I think Don't be evil was 1.0  -   Brave Heart was 1.1 - UT Community edition was 1.2 ) ?

Thanks,
B.C.
You are correct. Braveheart ver 1.1 has a fixable power drain problem requiring physical removal of a component and one addition. Ver 1.2 ubports community edition has a usb problem requiring removal of two components. Postmarket CE ver 1.2a has these problems fixed. Otherwise, they are the same. You can just flash to clean install each OS if you  like, that is what the jumpdrive image is for. It makes the emmc visable to the computer on those OS with no recovery.

If you want the most functional OS right now, without terminal fiddling, I'd suggest Mobian, Lune, or Sailfish. Except sailfish may still be having problems with their browser. Ubuntu Touch is much closer to working in the development builds, which do not require the terminal to benefit from. With a little time, it will 'just work' with no terminal required. I think Mobian is most complete feature wise right now.
Strange to me, back when I first got my Brave Heart near the beginning of this year, the UBPorts OS worked ok on my phone. But when I went back recently and re-tryed those same releases they do not work now ?
Same thing with the early Mobian releases, those all worked when they came out.
It would appear (to me anyhow) that there must have been some firmware updates that do not play well with the older operating systems ?
(08-09-2020, 06:26 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Strange to me,  back when I first got my Brave Heart near the beginning of this year,  the UBPorts OS worked ok on my phone.  But when I went back recently and re-tryed those same releases they do not work now ?
Same thing with the early Mobian releases,  those all worked when they came out.
It would appear (to me anyhow) that there must have been some firmware updates that do not play well with the older operating systems ?
Reverting to an older release should restore the capabilities of that release. Don't know of anything that would change that.
(08-09-2020, 10:20 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 06:26 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Strange to me,  back when I first got my Brave Heart near the beginning of this year,  the UBPorts OS worked ok on my phone.  But when I went back recently and re-tryed those same releases they do not work now ?
Same thing with the early Mobian releases,  those all worked when they came out.
Reverting to an older release should restore the capabilities of that release. Don't know of anything that would change that.

I am not an expert on the software, but the fact that it would not "Revert"  leads me to think the firmware 'may' have been changed.  ?
  If an operating system that released in March or April worked (talk & text) when it was released,  but now the same March/April release does not work ?
(When I first got my Brave Heart phone I was mostly trying Ubuntu Touch.)

I am just at a lose for any other explanation..  ?

( I did not write down the dates, so those are approximate.)

BC
(08-11-2020, 03:48 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 10:20 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

I am not an expert on the software, but the fact that it would not "Revert"  leads me to think the firmware 'may' have been changed.  ?
  If an operating system that released in March or April worked (talk & text) when it was released,  but now the same March/April release does not work ?
(When I first got my Brave Heart phone I was mostly trying Ubuntu Touch.)

I am just at a lose for any other explanation..  ?

( I did not write down the dates, so those are approximate.)

BC
I think it has to do with enabling crust. It's the only recent firmware change I see that affects modem. But I didn't see anything in it that would affect making calls, except there seems to be an issue with the modem waking up when crust is enabled.
Crust is fairly recent,       I do not remember it being mentioned in the early months of this year.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fresh install pmos+phosh does not boot user641 1 479 10-08-2023, 04:04 AM
Last Post: user641
  Boots To Shell After Dead Battery (PMOS) britelite 0 706 02-17-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pinephone 64 PostMarketOS edition Battery Issues, Not Hardware Issue X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,352 02-11-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: acid andy
  No Application Data PMOS 21.12.1 Captain1ndustry 4 3,823 08-12-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Gon
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,448 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  Application list PMOS-Phosh jmorris 6 6,089 12-04-2021, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Juergen
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,642 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8
Wink Extremely fast pmOS build for the pinephone lucasanss 0 2,882 02-03-2021, 04:05 PM
Last Post: lucasanss
  Pinephone 64 PostMarketOS edition Battery problem Alejandro.SU 9 8,523 12-22-2020, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Alejandro.SU
  No camera app on PinePhone Postmarket Edition / Phosh Noah222 3 4,867 12-02-2020, 03:38 PM
Last Post: jmorris