Pinephone + AOSP Mental Model
Hello everyone.

Trying to wrap my head around the Android Open Source Project and the pieces that come together to make it work on specific devices. The image attached is my current mental model of how Android can be built. With this thread I am looking to:

1. refine/restructure the mental model it if it needs it, and

2. understand better if "vendor blobs" are the only thing one needs to make AOSP work on any given device or if more is needed.

Eventually the bigger picture question I have is whether one could build "vanilla" AOSP from source and use it on a Pinephone or whether other pieces are still missing in that architecture to make it work that I have not understood/accounted for.

Thank you!
(mmmm... I can't upload images from my machine on a post?)
Ok here's a link I guess: https://ibb.co/CPF0MHt
Wow the spaces between paragraphs on this... haha. Sorry it's my first post. Not sure if I really got this down yet. Also can anyone tell me how to upload a picture? I see others do it!
thunderbiscuit Wrote:Eventually the bigger picture question I have is whether one could build "vanilla" AOSP from source and use it on a Pinephone or whether other pieces are still missing in that architecture to make it work that I have not understood/accounted for.

No idea on the architecture questions but aosp is already running on pinephone.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10613
Thank you!

I'll ask them for more info on this AOSP/Pinephone thing.
(07-25-2020, 06:45 AM)thunderbiscuit Wrote: (mmmm... I can't upload images from my machine on a post?)
Ok here's a link I guess: https://ibb.co/CPF0MHt
In the "Typical Android OS" graphic, you need to add the proprietary additions of cellular service providers (which can be quite a bit for providers such as Verizon). In the Americas, these providers often lock the phones, so you can't use them with another cellular provider.

The apps and skin that LineageOS (and /e/) adds to AOSP are FOSS.

To answer your question in the "Vanilla AOSP" graphic, the only binary blobs in the Pinephone should be the firmware for the Realtek WiFi/BT chip. I haven't checked the code of the GloDroid port for the PinePhone to verify this, but AOSP shouldn't require any more blobs than the Linux versions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 298 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 198 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 469 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 107,928 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,713 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 571 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,253 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 471 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,630 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,835 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma