How are Oses compiled for the Pinebook Pro?
Question 
How do people like @ayufan compile OSes for the Pinebook Pro? As far as I have been able to figure out so far it is simply magic  Big Grin .
Google "linux from scratch" , maybe go thru the steps
(on pbp, I mean)
When I owned 2 low performance x86 devices, (EeePC 900 & FitPC-1), I experimented with cross-compiling on my AMD64 octa-core server. It worked, but took time to both setup and then maintain. But, in our case, it may make sense. Using a high performance computer, (cloud server, etc...), to make the packages will be faster and less error prone, (no over heating).

My old laptop might need to resort to this, as the Intel Inside security flaws have caused it to be horrible slow at updates. (It's still reasonably fast for normal use.)

I do have a ROCKPro64 I have been meaning to setup. Since it can have a fan installed, it will likely run longer and faster, (less thermal throttling). That would be native arch., though options would have to be tuned for any package differences, (single board verses laptop).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Could someone give me a little more detailed view of the process of compiling (or cross-compiling) in general? When I googled Linux From Scratch at @wdt's suggestion, all I got was a really long .pdf file. Thanks for the information in advance and thank you to the developers who have made contributions to the PBP so far!
You didn't think it was easy, did you?
www.linuxfromscratch.org ,,, shortened to LFS
the first time, it would certainly take more than a day,
when done, your knowledge base would be way more than doubled
If you don't know how to cli copy and paste, it would be quite painful, I suggest you learn
(07-05-2020, 01:25 PM)TDC_PBP Wrote: How do people like @ayufan compile OSes for the Pinebook Pro? As far as I have been able to figure out so far it is simply magic  Big Grin .

Your question leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Ayufan did not compile the os.

Ayufan took the kernel and device tree from rockchip's repro https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel, tweaked it and compiled it.

The base system - all the debs - come from Ubuntu. I don't think Ayufan compiled them on his own. Maybe a few? The starting point was then probably the source debs.

Read Daniel's installer https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...-installer script to see how Debian gets installed onto an disk. From there, one can shrink the filesystem and dd into an image for distribution.
If you are serious about cross compiles, Gentoo Linux mostly installs packages by compiling from source.

This may help;

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Cross_build_environment
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
read the docs debian installer and debootstrap

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 438 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,108 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,910 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,978 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,603 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 989 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,918 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,321 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 606 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap