Battery draining with external power while under load?
(06-23-2020, 06:11 PM)Syonyk Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 05:09 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: Hello Syonyk, this is true for the Pine Time. I don't follow the Pine Phone, maybe that's also true for the Pine Phone. As far as I know, the Pinebook Pro is not advertised as developer hardware. Only Ayufan, MrFixIT, Luke and maybe others got developer hardware way over a year ago.

At a maximum, it's still community development hardware.  It's possible to use one as a daily driver, but I wouldn't recommend that for someone who was not already a reasonably skilled Linux admin with some hardware experience.  There are still plenty of rough edges, like the latest wifi firmware screwing up the wireless connectivity, the blend of things required for deep sleep, and sound not working reliably after that.

I put things like the charging behavior in the "It's still beta" category.  The right answer, IMO, would be USB-C power delivery hardware, but that's not what the unit has.

If I load the system up hard, I can get 3.5A out of the battery at around 3.8V - that's 13.5W.  It should hold that on the barrel plug, but it's observably not - or it heats up and can't keep up.  Not sure which.

There's nothing wrong with that - it's just a design decision they made.  But I wouldn't give a PBP to a non-technical friend yet for anything resembling regular use.
Thank you for the reply and reasserting my perspective. I forgot what I was getting myself into. Aside from rough edges this thing is amazing! I plan on giving my initial impressions in the proper thread. Sorry it took a while to respond. Been dealing with a lot of health issues with family members. I will be making the change to have it run directly off of the barrel plug and unplugging the battery when I get some downtime to tinker some more. I WILL make this my daily driver come hell or high water. Big Grin

(06-22-2020, 11:37 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
Quote:you can also modify the software or configure to consune less power.

Last year, there was an power issue. I did measurements.

This year, the situation is different. Even under the slightest load, the battery takes over. This is also what Upokupo experiences ("writing this post in firefox").

I'm not sure what changed? New kernel (4.x vs 5.x)? New device tree tweaks? "Age"? What else?

Quote:Luckily, there is a fix and bypassing the battery.

Please try it out. It would be interesting to see if the laptop stays up. Maybe it shuts down as it can not fall back to the battery.
I will do that when I find some downtime to tinker with it some more and post some results. I still love this thing and having a blast with it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Battery draining with external power while under load? - by Upokupo - 06-24-2020, 05:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockable-until-power-cycle persistent storage Melab 0 725 09-17-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Melab
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 844 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  When does Pinebook Pro power LED go on? Bram 0 637 03-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bram
  Doesn’t power on after flashing emmc badguru 3 1,263 02-25-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: badguru
  Pinebook Pro drains ny battery after shutting it off Tongman 4 2,174 12-01-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Battery Frost1776 1 1,062 10-07-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: LivingLinux
  Pinebook Pro freezes when running on battery petaramesh 5 2,593 09-22-2022, 12:43 AM
Last Post: petaramesh
Heart Now better battery life or power management? KC9UDX 5 2,301 09-09-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures Phillip Bell 7 4,541 02-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: wdt
  high battery drain on suspend/poweroff wiz 5 5,095 02-10-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: wdt