Is work still being done on the Pinebook Pro keyboard drivers
Question 
Hi,

I love the Pinebook Pro. It's almost perfect for what I need. However, one issue I'm still finding frustrating is the keyboard driver. A lot of key presses are being registered as double-presses. Are their any workarounds for this? I ran the keyboard and trackpad firmware update utility when it was released several months back. It improved things a bit, but the issue still prevents me from using the PBP as much as I otherwise would.

Ben
i don't have any double presses. i've used the modded keyboard firmware.
(06-07-2020, 02:48 PM)Feakster Wrote: Hi,

I love the Pinebook Pro. It's almost perfect for what I need. However, one issue I'm still finding frustrating is the keyboard driver. A lot of key presses are being registered as double-presses. Are their any workarounds for this? I ran the keyboard and trackpad firmware update utility when it was released several months back. It improved things a bit, but the issue still prevents me from using the PBP as much as I otherwise would.

Ben
  Since you have done the firmware update.....

Possibly a software problem ( in settings) ?  Have you checked using another OS from an SD card ?
  or possibly could be hardware problem.. ?

( I did not do the firmware update (yet) on ether my first edition ISO or my US version, I have not had any problem to date )
(06-08-2020, 08:44 AM)bcnaz Wrote:

Ben
  Since you have done the firmware update.....

Possibly a software problem ( in settings) ?  Have you checked using another OS from an SD card ?
  or possibly could be hardware problem.. ?

( I did not do the firmware update (yet) on ether my first edition ISO or my US version, I have not had any problem to date )
If there is a problem with the keyboard settings I'm not sure what else I could change. I've taken a look in Manjaro KDE's keyboard settings, and there's only the option to change the delay and rate for letter duplication following a long key press. I increased the delay to 800ms, but it didn't resolve the problem.

I also tried re-running the firmware updater, but that hasn't helped. Are "Device not found" messages normal?

Ben
Ben

I have a second lot PBP which arrived about a week ago, and like you I also really like it.  I am not having double presses but am occasionally (maybe once a day) getting keys which just stream presses continuously.  When this happens, if I press another key or the same key that is streaming it stops.  Since I can press any other key and it does not happen with the same key every time I am pretty sure this is a firmware issue so if someone is not working on it I would volunteer to help - I'd really like to help make the PBP better and I'm not a Linux guy I'm in embedded systems so this should be in my skill set.
@nbxmike The following link is where most of the opensource keyboard work is being done;

https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rd-updater

They do want to move on to the trackpad, but at present no one can recognize the CPU / SoC
used by the trackpad.

Overall, their are quite a few options. Some people want custom key mappings, so that was a
plan to allow key map updates without changing the code. Anyway, give it a read.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 229 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 126,976 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  Separate ISO keyboard for PBP Besouro 0 649 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Besouro
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,698 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX