Manjaro Phosh Beta 10...how to get button labels on Angelfish? INSTRUCTIONS WITHIN
Just what it says. Manjaro Phosh Beta 10 is excellent. Approaching daily driver levels. I've been messing with it all day (instead of doing my work). The only times that I've had any problems is when I got over-enthusiastic with "customization" and broke it a few times. Totally not the system's fault, and besides, it's fun going in with JumpDrive and fixing it. Always boots right up and is super stable as well. It's come a long way since I got my PinePhone back in January. 

My biggest complaint is that the selection of browsers leaves a lot to be desired. 

Firefox is very full-featured and works well, but it's a battery hog. Not viable for full-time use. It would be nice to have a fully functional lightweight browser for light browsing and only have to use Firefox for heavy duty stuff. 

Today, I tried the following:

Gnome browser (slow as ****, can't open links in new tab, dealbreaker)
Otter browser (same, UI is bad)
Falkon (Fast, works, but UI is awful)
Midori (Oh, so slow.)
Qutebrowser (Keyboard oriented, so forget that)
Luakit (wouldn't even start)
Probably a couple of others too that I don't remember.

Anywho, remembered from my time with Plasma using the Angelfish browser. Once I got it set up to my liking, it was really lightweight, fast, and easy to use. 

So, just to see if it could be done, I decided to install it on Phosh. And lo and behold, it worked. But, none of the buttons (forward, back, home, etc.) have labels on them.  Just squares at the bottom, except for the tabs button. I have to try to remember what the buttons do and sometimes I get it wrong. But, it's SO close to being 100% what I want.

[Image: Screenshot-from-2021-06-10-19-08-53.png]

So, what do I install to get button labels on Angelfish?
Try exporting these values:

export KIRIGAMI_LOWPOWER_HARDWARE=1
export QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_MOBILE=1
export QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_STYLE=org.kde.breeze

Another thing you can try is using the Mauikit SOL browser instead... It uses the same QT webengine as Angelfish (though it does lack the adblock that angelfish has).

https://invent.kde.org/maui/sol

Just note that I'm not sure if that QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_STYLE export is pointing to the right style. Might want to play around with it, and maybe try other export variables.
(06-10-2021, 05:35 PM)Aberts10 Wrote: Try exporting these values:

Another thing you can try is using the Mauikit SOL browser instead... It uses the same QT webengine as Angelfish (though it does lack the adblock that angelfish has).

Just note that I'm not sure if that QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_STYLE export is pointing to the right style. Might want to play around with it, and maybe try other export variables.

How do I enter those values? Do I paste them in a terminal, or put them in a config file somewhere?
(06-10-2021, 06:03 PM)patrio Wrote:

How do I enter those values? Do I paste them in a terminal, or put them in a config file somewhere?
Easy way is to put them into the /etc/environment file and reboot
(06-10-2021, 09:13 PM)Aberts10 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 06:03 PM)patrio Wrote:

Easy way is to put them into the /etc/environment file and reboot

(snip - took out a bunch of my bellyachin')

Got it.

First, I did everything that Aberts10 wrote above, adding the variables he posted to the /etc/environment config file. Then, I also added another variable that I found on another site to the /etc/environment config file:

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"

I also installed the QT5 Settings App from the app store.

The "qt5ct" in the previous step MUST be in quotes, because when I opened the QT5 settings app it complained when I had it without quotes (head scratcher, that...it said something like "QT_QTA_PLATFORMTHEME must be set as qt5ct.  Current value is qt5ct." LOL.

Then I installed "plasma-browser-integration" from the app store.

Opened QT5 settings and went to the Icons tab and it showed it was updating. Waited for it to update.  When finished, it presented a huge list of icon themes. I assume any would work, but I tried Breeze first.

Opened Angelfish. Son of a .... it worked!

[Image: Screenshot-from-2021-06-11-09-35-22.png][Image: Screenshot-from-2021-06-11-09-35-49.png][Image: Screenshot-from-2021-06-11-09-36-16.png]

Woohoo!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,519 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,475 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  box86 Actually Works Well on Manjaro Phosh/xfce jakfish 0 582 07-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  volume down button issue sapphire 0 374 05-20-2023, 06:25 AM
Last Post: sapphire
  Phosh - Tweaks and Customizing mikehenson 0 1,372 01-07-2023, 01:35 PM
Last Post: mikehenson
  reset button under back cover, below the camera mruser1 2 950 01-02-2023, 08:07 AM
Last Post: wibble
  PinePhone Beta Out of Stock? jakfish 3 1,452 12-20-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  no sdcard boot and manjaro update failed Gwen 3 1,300 11-27-2022, 07:56 AM
Last Post: fxc
  No sms receival on Arch Phosh Pinephone pineuser0 2 1,293 10-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  Instructions to get pinephone working on USA carrier omarcomputing 1 1,284 10-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard