Mobile Carriers
I got kicked off of Cricket after having it for like a week. I honestly don't even know why they let me join.

I went back to my old phone for now, and my Pinephone is just for playing around with at this point.
Just to Clarify, my phone is on the AT&T network, but the service is through Red Pocket. Also at 10 bucks a month, if they were to enforce a list like this, it wouldn't be much of a loss. Will report if I see trouble, though. Seems okay so far. Just made another test call on it. My guess is that Red Pocket, a small affordable service provider, will take almost anything that will run. It was easy to get going.

I could see whitelists being set up to enforce Android and iPhone only, so they can push service updates more readily. Lame. I wonder if i can use my old Palm anywhere now. Don't even know if it ever got unlocked.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
So . . . . Is it fair to say you're very luck if you have a working phone in the US ? I had a PMOS edition that seemed to work on T-Mobile. The Manjaro edition doesn't work on ATT, T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, and was extremely glitchy with Verizon and that was a couple months back. Now, I do not get any signal with Verison. I've tried all OS's.
The phone has been sitting in its box for month or two, just pulled it back out with hopes that with an update it would be simi working, but nope.
Who if anyone is having luck with their phone and what carrier or is it really a crap shot of what carrier and if your specific phone decides to jive with that specific sim ?
(02-19-2021, 06:10 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: So . . . . Is it fair to say you're very luck if you have a working phone in the US ? I had a PMOS edition that seemed to work on T-Mobile. The Manjaro edition doesn't work on ATT, T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, and was extremely glitchy with Verizon and that was a couple months back. Now, I do not get any signal with Verison. I've tried all OS's.
The phone has been sitting in its box for month or two, just pulled it back out with hopes that with an update it would be simi working, but nope.
Who if anyone is having luck with their phone and what carrier or is it really a crap shot of what carrier and if your specific phone decides to jive with that specific sim ?
The post above yours shows Red Pocket works AT&T. I use US Mobile (Verizon and T-mobile sims). Both work woth mobian and manjaro phosh. UT works if set to 3G, and partially working VoLTE on t-mobile sim.
Based on advice here and on one other thread, I gave US Mobile a try. They currently send you 2 SIMs for free- a blue Verizon based and a white TMobile based. My pinehone didn't recognize the Verizon one but the TMobile one works great. Calls, data, SMS all fine. It just worked, I got a text with advice on how to activate internet, but it worked already.

Pinephone UBPorts CE running Moban with phosh and MATE sessions. I have not updated any firmware.
(02-13-2021, 12:10 PM)desca Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 06:26 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: We've had several reports of people getting kicked off of AT&T and Cricket with messages saying, roughly, your device isn't on our whitelist. So, please keep us advised if that happens to you.

I heard about this happening with Cricket, but I hadn't heard about AT&T itself. Do you remember where the AT&T reports are?
Cricket Suspended me tonight, I sent one text and then I got a message saying my account was suspended. I can not get a hold of customer service until morning to hopefully get unsuspended.
Well we will see how this goes. I have a Tello sim on the way. If that does not work, I may give ting a go.
So I've had my pinephone for about a month now and for whatever reason, I can't get US Mobile to work, or Red Pocket to work.

I can't comment on anything but Verizon, because i live in the middle of nowhere and only get Verizon here.

I tried the us mobile sim with mobian phosh, arch phosh, and then ordered a gsma sim card from red pocket. I couldn't get any signal at all using the gsma so i ordered a gsmt card and after going through a bunch of nonsense with the support people, ended up finally getting my balance transferred from my gsma to my gsmt.

Now on mobian phosh, the exact same thing is happening with the red pocket gsmt (Verizon) as it was with the us mobile Verizon one.

Ill boot it up, and after a minute or so I'll have a few bars showing up in thev status bar, along with the 4G icon, but the data connection icon with the two horizontal arrows will have an X. If i go to modem details at that point it'll show i have about 60% signal strength, lte network and will say not registered for the status.

Then, if i go into the APN settings, and select the red pocket one, or any other one for that matter (a few from Verizon pop up with contract in the name) the 4G icon and the signal strength icons will flash on and off a few times then after maybe 4 or 5 complete flashes they'll just disappear all together and will say 0% signal with no status.

I have also tried selecting 2G only, 3G only, 4G only. But only with red pocket.

With 4G only it says denied for status, 3G says not registered, and 2G says not registered.

At this point I'm beyond frustrated to say the least. Does anyone know of any Verizon mvno provider, or even if Verizon works in general?

I'm thinking Verizon blocked unsupported devices or something. On that note, would there be anyway to spoof the pinephone as something else?

When i had the gsma card from red pocket in the only, while it never even obtained signal, in the line info page on the red pocket website, it registered as another device. I can't remember which but it did show up as an Android when i googled the model it showed.

Now with the gsmt it doesn't say anything.

On manjaro plasma beta 4 and dev, an error comes up and the modem says no carrier. I also can't edit the apn settings through the ui. 

Haven't tried setting manually yet. Figuring that out will be what i do tonight
I just acquired a PinePhone Beta Edition.

Calls and text work out of the box with AT&T just by updating the device IMEI from AT&T's interface.

Data does not work, though, even with the recommended "phone" and "nxtgenphone" APN values. Is anyone having success with data on AT&T?

Below are APN settings that work for android (same SIM card).

APN Settings:

Name: ATT Nxtgenhone

APN: nxtgenphone

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS port: 80

MCC: 310

MNC: 410

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,mms,fota,supl

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: unspecified

MVNO type: None

MVNO value: Not set
(02-26-2021, 09:29 PM)jbloodwo Wrote: Well we will see how this goes. I have a Tello sim on the way.  If that does not work, I may give ting a go.
did you get Tello to work?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 639 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  New Zealand network providers mobile data Linux2thabone 3 3,174 08-05-2023, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SchizoPinePhone225
  US Mobile, via T-Mobile, won't support Pinephone Pro - SOLVED, SIMPLY jovval 10 2,976 07-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jovval
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,180 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 642 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
  Cannot call at several mobile phones Gon 3 1,231 05-04-2023, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Gon
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,247 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 1,967 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,641 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Lightbulb pinephone mobile dock jasmin763 2 1,630 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: 98cwitr