PinePhone Keyboard update [April 24/04]
(05-03-2021, 03:30 AM)Lord Windy Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 11:07 PM)BronzeBear Wrote:
  • Keyboard layout is awful. Yes, programmable keys is a good thing, but the keyfaces are going to be all wrong. I know there was a survey, but in typical Pine fashion it was completely botched. Not all of us hang out on the various chat channels. The polling should have been done everywhere, forums, website, chats, reddit, twitter, etc. And as another user said, left for a month. Having to use FN keys to use the arrow keys by default is an absolute joke. vim users have their heads up their rear ends. There are more people out there in the world that use arrow keys than jkl; I mean seriously, does anyone use brackets and braces MORE than they do arrow keys? I'm a C/C++ programmer by trade, and I don't even use that many brackets and braces...

Keyfaces don't worry me too much. If it is programmable than you could just make the arrow keys default to movement. It is what I'm planning on doing. I use VIM and I never use the jk whatever movement keys. I'm one of those plebs who suck at using most of the cool features of those editors.

I'm really happy with how it looks and the layout. I can't wait to buy one!

Of course, reprogramming it will be something I will have to do as well. And then I'll have to live with hitting ] for down arrow, instead of fn-]

But the subject isn't really about us, we have the skills to reprogram it, and we can adapt to moronic layouts. The question is about sane defaults, and this layout's default isn't sane imo. So really, my bitching is more for all the people who won't be able to reprogram it, and will have to use two hands to navigate their text cursor and web pages.
(04-24-2021, 07:41 AM)sbus Wrote: Are there any plans to add a mouse pointer?
I have been using this on my PP with great success. Once I get a little better at programming I intend on using one of those 3.5mm plugs with a physical button on top (pressy button) of it to switch the touchpad emulator on and off. With the keyboard though you could just set it to some sort of key combination, or make it boot by default.

https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/TouchpadEmulator

If you are already familiar with C then you could use this as a base.

I was blown away when i discovered the keyboard had a huge battery, very excited to buy one of these as soon as they are released.

Thanks to everyone that's part of this community!
I want one... can't wait...
@Lord Windy  in some respects I agree with you, it can be frustrating to feel that the desire to participate is not considered, I say this against my interests because the keyboard is almost exactly how I want it. But obviously I also gave opinions and asked questions without getting answers.
However what I think is that there is no malice behind this behavior but only lack of people who are involved consider the proposals of the users (I don't like the words public relations because they seem like a gambling in this way).
Obviously, I think that some design flaw could be prevented by discussing with users but I think that pine64 anyway take infinitesimally better choices than those of other producers, so I pull up the little tear on my face and try not to think about the small details.
In this specific case I don't think I'll start reprogramming the keyboard if I have to do it on Windows, maybe it's the right time that I learn to use vim, I've already trained with dungeon crawlers  Tongue
To give another example, I would have preferred a battery for pinephone with a common form factor like that of the "don't be evil" devkit , I'm afraid those Samsung batteries will go out of production, but how many people would have accepted such a large phone? People even complained about the color of the cable ... there was no chance
So I asked if the pinephone can only work with the keyboard battery which is more standard, but I got no answer. Amen, I hope so, but there are all the keys I need and the layout doesn't look so bad to me, a lot of things are in the right place and the USB still remains operational.
At the same time I believe that some advice was listened to without giving feedback, for example I saw a lot of attention to the hinge and the ability of the keyboard not to fall under the weight of the phone.
And the layout actually met some user requests too, like mine on the control keys, and the layout was also changed in the final stages by looking at the blog. Maybe some things are not the best but I have seen the layout improved in general within the iterations.
Is there a backlight?
(06-08-2021, 06:39 PM)Savrik Wrote: Is there a backlight?

Unfortunately doesn't look like it, that would be nice though.
(09-08-2021, 11:43 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 06:39 PM)Savrik Wrote: Is there a backlight?

Unfortunately doesn't look like it, that would be nice though.

Backlights are great, I'm sure someone will work out a way to light the keyboard if it's not lit (and I don't think it is).

(05-03-2021, 03:30 AM)Lord Windy Wrote: Keyfaces don't worry me too much. If it is programmable than you could just make the arrow keys default to movement. It is what I'm planning on doing. I use VIM and I never use the jk whatever movement keys. I'm one of those plebs who suck at using most of the cool features of those editors.

I'm really happy with how it looks and the layout. I can't wait to buy one!

Same. I have worked with a lot of AIX folks who always set -o vi and use zsh. Not for me. Always emacs style shell navigation, and I always use the regular arrow keys in vim. I like the features in vim, but I honestly use nano most of the time. Having to change modes when cutting and pasting things between machines irks me, I usually only use vim when the OS or application requires it, for example visudo or similar.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
This got delayed which sucks. There are a few things I want to try and get from the Pine store but am waiting until this is available to save on shipping.
(09-15-2021, 02:33 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: This got delayed which sucks. There are a few things I want to try and get from the Pine store but am waiting until this is available to save on shipping.

I have to agree.  I replaced my screen a while back, Kind of pricey to ship a single item.  Looks like Arch/Phosh actually works and isn't so slow it's unusable, ... for the most part.  I want to grab a RockPro and a few other items at the same time.

This needs to hit critical mass.  I think it's close, but there needs to be a reasonably stable working:

Phone
SMS/MMS texting
Camera
AddressBook

That are all working "out of the box" so to speak  As soon as they approach a 6c x 8g x 64g maybe with 1920 device available I will buy another phone.  Hopefully some of these nifty add-ons will remain 'compatible'.  I would love to see a few design changes as well.  Access to the sim slot is annoying, and I'm constantly swapping things around.  Especially hard with a nano-micro cheater.  May back us currently cracked from repeated removal.  Something that would allow storage of a couple of SD's and an extra sim so I don't keep losing the Jumpdrive sim ;-)...    All in all this is a great project, and could easily free the market  from the apple-google monopoly, with something that seems a bit more well thought out than the motorola modular thing.  It's just really fun to watch.
(09-26-2021, 09:35 PM)ksmithaz1 Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 02:33 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: This got delayed which sucks. There are a few things I want to try and get from the Pine store but am waiting until this is available to save on shipping.

I have to agree.  I replaced my screen a while back, Kind of pricey to ship a single item.  Looks like Arch/Phosh actually works and isn't so slow it's unusable, ... for the most part.  I want to grab a RockPro and a few other items at the same time.

This needs to hit critical mass.  I think it's close, but there needs to be a reasonably stable working:

Phone
SMS/MMS texting
Camera
AddressBook

That are all working "out of the box" so to speak  As soon as they approach a 6c x 8g x 64g maybe with 1920 device available I will buy another phone.  Hopefully some of these nifty add-ons will remain 'compatible'.  I would love to see a few design changes as well.  Access to the sim slot is annoying, and I'm constantly swapping things around.  Especially hard with a nano-micro cheater.  May back us currently cracked from repeated removal.  Something that would allow storage of a couple of SD's and an extra sim so I don't keep losing the Jumpdrive sim ;-)...    All in all this is a great project, and could easily free the market  from the apple-google monopoly, with something that seems a bit more well thought out than the motorola modular thing.  It's just really fun to watch.
Yeah, I could imagine that would be super pricey.

I don't think Pine64 will ever release a phone that strong, that is stronger than most phones on the market and they would be selling to a niche audience. I want a more powerful Pine Phone but I also don't want to spend $800+ on a phone, I think that has become normalized and is ridiculous. For many people that's several months of food. I would love a $400 device that is twice as powerful because at some point the biggest issue with using this as a daily driver will be hardware limitations. Doesn't matter how much Phosh is optimized when the phone still take 15-20 seconds to launch Telegram. 99% of people aren't willing to accept that wait and I can't blame them.

I've been daily driving this for a bit over 2 months and it has been just fine but I also realized if you asked a random person to daily driver this they would lose their minds. My girlfriend has only interacted with it a handful of times and she hates it because it can be so slow.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Update and Stock Availability Thread Luke 87 88,297 03-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: maos
  The PinePhone keyboard and cases are here! Luke 11 10,160 03-11-2022, 07:16 AM
Last Post: nontrivial
  PinePhone community poll results Luke 2 3,691 02-01-2022, 04:03 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is now available Luke 1 3,186 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
  October update follow-up Luke 0 2,514 10-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 164,790 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
  PinePhone Mobian CE shipping update thread Luke 59 79,791 04-25-2021, 12:57 PM
  PinePhone BETA Edition pre-orders start March 24 Luke 2 6,003 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: ryo
  PinePhone KDE Community Edition shipping update thread. Luke 135 174,626 04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Video February Community Update Video Synopsis Luke 0 2,887 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM