openSUSE for Pinephone
(12-31-2020, 06:39 PM)andresbs Wrote: Already tested like 4-5 distros and openSUSE has given me the best experience so far, but I am left with a question and two issues:

-Is the 60 fps patch applied yet? It does not seem like (or it could be the PinePhone being what it is)

-I can't send SMS to anyone (Chatty), I keep getting that +5068888 is not a valid number (tried with spaces and no regional prefix, no success). I replicated this while installed on the eMMC and the SD card.
If I send an SMS to the PinePhone through another phone I can reply with no problems, the issue is with starting new conversations.

-When going to the devices section on Files or when opening whatever prompt that invokes files a constant mmblk notifications spams half of the screen (it's installed on the eMMC) and a ROOT partition constantly pops out and back in (or it seems like). I have no idea what this could be.

I think I may take a look at packaging some stuff for Plasma Mobile, priorities would be the Plasma Mobile config files, Neochat and basic IM apps (particularly Spacebar). I'm really new to OBS and so far only packaged one program, but I believe it is not that complicated once I get to know how to use some (definitely undocumented or underdocumented) macros. However, if this is going to happen, we should coordinate to avoid duplicating efforts.

I will check SMS, i dind't test that, maybe it's something from Chatty compilation.

I also created a Telegram Dev group to get all info together, it would be nice to work with you in Plasma version. Tell me via PM if you want the link to the new group.
(01-02-2021, 04:20 AM)Alefnode Wrote:
(12-31-2020, 06:39 PM)andresbs Wrote: Already tested like 4-5 distros and openSUSE has given me the best experience so far, but I am left with a question and two issues:

-Is the 60 fps patch applied yet? It does not seem like (or it could be the PinePhone being what it is)

-I can't send SMS to anyone (Chatty), I keep getting that +5068888 is not a valid number (tried with spaces and no regional prefix, no success). I replicated this while installed on the eMMC and the SD card.
If I send an SMS to the PinePhone through another phone I can reply with no problems, the issue is with starting new conversations.

-When going to the devices section on Files or when opening whatever prompt that invokes files a constant mmblk notifications spams half of the screen (it's installed on the eMMC) and a ROOT partition constantly pops out and back in (or it seems like). I have no idea what this could be.

I think I may take a look at packaging some stuff for Plasma Mobile, priorities would be the Plasma Mobile config files, Neochat and basic IM apps (particularly Spacebar). I'm really new to OBS and so far only packaged one program, but I believe it is not that complicated once I get to know how to use some (definitely undocumented or underdocumented) macros. However, if this is going to happen, we should coordinate to avoid duplicating efforts.

I will check SMS, i dind't test that, maybe it's something from Chatty compilation.

I also created a Telegram Dev group to get all info together, it would be nice to work with you in Plasma version. Tell me via PM if you want the link to the new group.
Sorry about the delay, I was visiting a national park hehe

Packaging for Calindori, Spacebar and Angelfish are ready. I could not get adblock working on Angelfish due to missing (optional) deps, specifically Corrosion/cmake-cargo.

Dudes from Plasma Mobile advised to keep an eye on ofono (it's used instead of modemmanager), which is good news because that's what UB Touch also uses, so it's a 2x1 Smile

***RPMs might have missing deps, please someone test on a fresh openSUSE image. Example: install using "opi calindori".
Angelfish feels soooooo much smoother than Epiphany, I just couldn't handle it, so sluggish.
Seems like we are almost getting there with Plasma Mobile, but there is still one thing to fix, and it's the modem. Currently we have all the Maui apps and most of Plasma Mobile essentials ready, take a look:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/...resbs:Maui

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/...sma-mobile

Of course the packaging needs some attention to details, but it should more than enough to get going right now. Phosh users are able to use those repos in case they don't like it (spacebar and whatever is telephony related should not work, though).

I am not sure if some things are working because they simply do not work right now, I noticed that some of the system settings menus are tied to modemmanager for some reason.

Currently I can connect to my carrier using:

-systemctl start ofono

* install ofonoctl: zypper in python3-pip; sudo pip install ofonoctl

* make sure the modem is not blocked by rfkill: rfkill unblock wwan

-ofonoctl poweron

-ofonoctl online

Then, your carrier should appear at the top left corner. However, apps are not working with it right now; spacebar shows this:

Requesting text channel failed: "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Error.Disconnected" "Account ofono/ofono/account0 disconnected with reason 0"

However, using ofonoctl sms --message "holatest" my_phone_number I do receive the SMS on my other phone, so we are getting somewhere.

My APN shows in the Access Points menu, but I can't enable it directly, perhaps ofonoctl can.

Also, the keyboard crashes constantly, but this seems to be a general problem with the Maliit keyboard. As a workaround we can put a service in place that restarts it, the command is maliit-keyboard.

Performance is fine (come on, it's a PinePhone), KDE actually does miracles with this things, and 5.21 will have some important Kwin improvements.

Angelfish can be useable on a daily basis, Index works properly (except the built-in terminal, I am not sure if it's supposed to work either). Discover is able to use what is avaible from the openSUSE repos (reminder, use opi for community packages). KDE Connect reports to my computer that the phone is constantly running out of battery, I haven't digged into what is causing that bug. telegram-desktop from our repos works fine (for proper fonts install google-opensans-fonts). Bluetooth, audio and screen rotation work.

Oh, and I see alot of potential for branding on Plasma Smile

Do keep in mind that eveything on my repos is build directly from the master branch of their project (I don't expect things to break terribly tho). We will eventually have stable™ versions for the first image.

bonus: the screenshot button works
Today we have published new development version of opensuse image with Plasma Mobile

https://download.opensuse.org/repositori...h64.raw.xz
(02-03-2021, 09:43 AM)Alefnode Wrote: Today we have published new development version of opensuse image with Plasma Mobile

Thanks!
I am already running it, however I am experiencing some issues, maybe some of them are already known?
  1. Most of the time opening settings from the top pull down menu does not seem to work. I click on one icon, a black splash screen comes up with an icon, but nothing happens after that. (settings, wifi, sound). Is there a way trace what is happening behind the scene?
  2. The screenshot seems to use the screen scaling incorrectly. The image size matches the scaled screen size (720x360 on 200% scale, 960x480 on 160%) but only contains the lower left quarter (on 200%).
  3. The volume buttons do not work.
(02-03-2021, 01:55 PM)gergob Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:43 AM)Alefnode Wrote: Today we have published new development version of opensuse image with Plasma Mobile

Thanks!
I am already running it, however I am experiencing some issues, maybe some of them are already known?
  1. Most of the time opening settings from the top pull down menu does not seem to work. I click on one icon, a black splash screen comes up with an icon, but nothing happens after that. (settings, wifi, sound). Is there a way trace what is happening behind the scene?
  2. The screenshot seems to use the screen scaling incorrectly. The image size matches the scaled screen size (720x360 on 200% scale, 960x480 on 160%) but only contains the lower left quarter (on 200%).
  3. The volume buttons do not work.
If I recall correctly all those things were fixed for the 5.21 release of Plasma Phone Components - we should have it available somewhere between mid-february.

I really like the PM-image, everything seems to work well.

I noticed that the phone won't wake up from suspend when a call comes in. No ringtone, no screen - no reaction at all.
(02-21-2021, 08:43 AM)Juergen Wrote:

I really like the PM-image, everything seems to work well.

I noticed that the phone won't wake up from suspend when a call comes in.
I have not looked into why exactly this happens. When a call comes in, the phone does receive in time (~3s) and rings, but the display does not turn on, I am not sure if this is supposed to happen or not.
super silly question (sorry for):
How to flash a .raw.xz file ? Other distros have .img.xz format which I can flash perfectly with balena etcher (in OSX) but it does not accept the .raw.xz format.
(03-03-2021, 06:56 AM)Uturn Wrote: super silly question (sorry for):
How to flash a .raw.xz file ?  Other distros have .img.xz format which I can flash perfectly with balena etcher (in OSX) but it does not accept the .raw.xz format.
Hmm I used Etcher before but I do not remember if I extracted the .raw file first.

Please see the instructions at https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:PinePhone#In..._Pinephone

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,325 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 278 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,154 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,929 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,706 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,746 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 814 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,836 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,107 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  Does Ubuntu modify a Pinephone SD boot card? Peter Gamma 0 757 10-05-2023, 09:18 AM